• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
How much stuff does one need on the beach.Take little , leave nothing.
Just a chair and and something to drink. But people who are very tall and have knee/back problems can't get up from the light chairs like they sell at Publix. They are too low. So we have to use higher chairs that weigh a lot more. My husband doesn't even go to the beach anymore because of this. He will walk to the top of the walkover to watch the sunset, but that's it. I usually walk to the beach and sit on the bottom stairstep of our walkover to avoid the embarrassment of having to ask for assistance.

Thankfully our walkover is private, so we could leave our chairs under the stairs at night. So I am very sympathetic to those who don't have this luxury.

I don't quite understand the comment "If everyone lived within their means more than just the economy would be better." (a) We live within our means, and (b) what does this have to do with the difficulty of taking a chair to the beach when one has phyical ailments that insurance pays for but can't totally cure?

SouthernBelle

Beach Comber
Oct 5, 2011
SoWal
Beach within your means. It was not directed at you. People in general.

Speaking to you: I live with someone that has physical limitations and it is very demanding to plan around. You should not feel bad asking for help. We will all be there one day. A local will be glad to help someone with limitations clear off the beach. Part of beaching like a local is learning to leave only your footprints in the sand.

SouthernBelle

Beach Comber
Oct 5, 2011
SoWal
I had to reread my response trying to figure out where you got offended and I think it was my reference to helping people and hoping they learned for next time. I should have been much clearer. That was referring to the ones that will bring 4 radios, 2 tents, an umbrella, 3 coolers, a wagon/stroller/cart that stays at the steps after they realize sand doesn't like wheels, and several bags of only goodness knows because there is not enough hours in the day to unpack all of it. The beach generally provides its own entertainment. If you have to bring all that crap you are not beaching right!

Sorry if you thought that was aimed at you. I have a high respect for people dealing with any type of disability, helping them along in any way is what being human is all about. Hopefully someone in your neighborhood will get a heart and help you guys out.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Our neighborhood is so secluded that if I waited for someone to come along to give me help with my chair, I might have an hour wait.

We paid a premium to own a home that is a one-minute walk to the beach. We pay a premium for a private walkover. We never dreamed we'd have the physical problems that we now have at such an early age. So now we're being called lazy?

I hope you live long enough and/or remain healthy enough to understand our situation and the situation of those more physically challenged than we are. Lazy, we are not.

BR...why so defensive? Didn't you two just run in the Seaside 5K? All of us baby boomers have/will have aches and pains and I am guessing at that point, I will have one of the many beach services set up and take down our chairs and umbrella. IMO, the point being made here is NOTHING should be left on the beach overnight. Period. End of argument. (not trying to be harsh, just pointing out the obvious)

Miss Kitty, I hobbled the 5K. Hubby wasn't even able to attempt it. I took me over an hour, whereas the winner did it in 17 minutes. I took pain meds in advance. I did it because I am so tired of being disabled. I am frustrated that my knees and feet are so damaged from too much running in the past. My doctor is furious at me for doing the 5K. But the course is flat, so I did it. It's the stairs that really kill my knees. I have been on crutches on and off since I did the 5K. Most mornings I have to crawl from the bedroom to the kitchen to make my coffee. I have a torn meniscus in my left knee and a bone spur the size of a marble on my right heel. The surgeon at Emory wants to delay surgery until my knee starts clicking, catching, or locking. The pain was so bad this AM in class that I thought I was going to pass out and was very nauseated. I wrote my husband's cell phone number on the board and told my students that if I passed out from the pain, please call my husband.

Yes, I used poor judgement. In the future will hire a beach chair service whenever we spend more than a weekend at the beach.

Actually our beach walkover is private, so we are allowed to leave our chairs under the walkover because our small neighborhood paid for it. There are only 5 homes in the neighborhood. One of the owners doesn't rent, ansd another is a permanent resident. So even if we all took beach chairs and left them under the stairs, it wouldn't be an eyesore. And if renters leave chairs under the walkover, I pay someone to remove them because I am physically unable to do that anymore.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Our neighborhood is so secluded that if I waited for someone to come along to give me help with my chair, I might have an hour wait.

We paid a premium to own a home that is a one-minute walk to the beach. We pay a premium for a private walkover. We never dreamed we'd have the physical problems that we now have at such an early age. So now we're being called lazy?

I hope you live long enough and/or remain healthy enough to understand our situation and the situation of those more physically challenged than we are. Lazy, we are not.

If you could afford "premium" then you can afford beach set up service or at least a beach chair with backpack straps. Those chairs are lighter than the so called purses that most elderly females carry every day.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I don't think it's so harmful for Beach Runner and her few neighbors to leave their chairs under the private walkover from their neighborhood which is more likely on the private portion of their beach. It sounds like someone would have to go around looking for chairs to be bothered by to even see them to be bothered by them in the first place. And many of the beach service vendors keep chairs or chair bins on the beach anyway, which are just as visible.

And since only some of liz0305's chairs were taken, I'm led to believe that it was youngsters or such who stole them rather than somebody doing it in defense of creation. Most religions, civilized societies and moral codes have some concept of "do not steal" so I find it hard to say liz0305 got what she deserved; it's not even sea turtle nesting season.

That being said, we bring all of our stuff up everyday and store it at the condo.

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
If you could afford "premium" then you can afford beach set up service or at least a beach chair with backpack straps. Those chairs are lighter than the so called purses that most elderly females carry every day.

I think the harsh nature of some of these comments is precisely why so many folks have left the SOWAL forums.