• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Geo, I agree with what you say but I do not understand the following.

The more connector roads there are dispersed east/west across 30Athe less distance most cars leaving 30A would need to travel on 30A in order to leave it. Did you mean north/south in the two instances?

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Hi Andy. Yes. Sorry. Pls let me clarify. The more N/S running connector roads there are dispersed across 30A (from west to east--- or from left to right if u are looking at a map)........

I'm not saying the connectors run east/west.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Beating a dead horse- when I said dispersed I meant 393, 83, 283, 395 and then at least one more but maybe two please before we get to WaterSound Pkwy.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yes. One, just east of Eastern Lake, would ease a lot of people's transit. The frogs and raccoons would get use to it.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
35 years ago we had a home in Destin. We loved it but we knew change was coming. We moved to South Walton County and enjoyed Seagrove Beach for 20 years. Last year we sold our Seagrove condo. Unfortunately change is inevitable and there's no stopping the growth. I will always have fond memories of the times we had in Destin and Seagrove but that was another time and we'll never have those times back. I'd also like to be young again. The development isn't going to stop as long as there's money to be made.

VoiceOfReason

Beach Comber
Jan 11, 2015
1. I'm all for property rights but building something that lowers the surrounding property values contradicts that theory.

2. The hip hop guy just showed their racism. No black white conflict here. I listen to the music as well as all other types and hope people of every color and creed come visit.

3. This is a slippery slope. Letting a guy come in and put a black eye on 30A just because he is well connected is a big mistake. What is next? Can this guy open up a shooting range, pawn shops, tattoo parlors and strip clubs too as long as he can hire a lawyer that can argue his case.

4. To all these pro hotel development/property rights trolls on here, I would love to know where your primary residence is. Would you be in favor of pro property rights if I bought the property next door, set up a donkey, and started drilling for oil? How about if I started framing and your water caught on fire or your family got sick as a result? Something tells me the answer is no.

5. The Tom Thumb is a giant eye sore and a huge mistake. It's a cluster F×××. I drive by almost every day and it is way over congested, even in the off season. Just because one mistake was made doesn't mean we should make another.

The writing is on the wall. 30A is going to. Be way over congested by the time everything is built out but we should still strive to protect the integrity and the character of this very unique community

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
1. I'm all for property rights but building something that lowers the surrounding property values contradicts that theory.

2. The hip hop guy just showed their racism. No black white conflict here. I listen to the music as well as all other types and hope people of every color and creed come visit.

3. This is a slippery slope. Letting a guy come in and put a black eye on 30A just because he is well connected is a big mistake. What is next? Can this guy open up a shooting range, pawn shops, tattoo parlors and strip clubs too as long as he can hire a lawyer that can argue his case.

4. To all these pro hotel development/property rights trolls on here, I would love to know where your primary residence is. Would you be in favor of pro property rights if I bought the property next door, set up a donkey, and started drilling for oil? How about if I started framing and your water caught on fire or your family got sick as a result? Something tells me the answer is no.

5. The Tom Thumb is a giant eye sore and a huge mistake. It's a cluster F×××. I drive by almost every day and it is way over congested, even in the off season. Just because one mistake was made doesn't mean we should make another.

The writing is on the wall. 30A is going to. Be way over congested by the time everything is built out but we should still strive to protect the integrity and the character of this very unique community

1.Not a troll because I use my name on here.
2.Taxpayer and someone who is going to be part of a large group who will foot the bill defending a decision whether it be right or wrong.
3. Own property North of 98 in Sowal and live in Freeport.
4. Not sure what color of someones skin has to do with anything, you all know its about the size of the wallet. because it is expensive to live and stay on 30A.
5. There are some and have been some small Mom and Pop type establishments located on 30A that are not guady. If you bought a donkey wouldn't have an issue would prefer goats and would pay a little to get you to cut my yard and fertilize it. Drilling for oil is apples and oranges, COME ON MAN/ WOMAN. I would certainly be concerned if you started FRAMING/ FRACKING.
6. Tom Thumb is a moot issue it is already there.
7. Finally, it is my sincere opinion that if you live on 30A and have lived less than 40 years you are part of the problem. I was delivering lumber in 1983 out of Fort Walton Beach. I remember when 98 was 2 lanes and 30A was just a road by the beach. 40 years is just an arbitrary number because I could have said if you and your family have not lived, owned etc etc then you are part of the problem.

I believe in property rights, I also believe controlled growth, development that fits the area but really the problem is that rather than be proactive we tend to be reactive when it comes to the NIMBY in us. I think stormwater runoff is going to be a killer, I think traffic is going to increase, I think beach access is going to suffer. Unless we change the rules, to limit these kind of issues, and make compatibility part of the discussion, we will always be behind the 8 ball, so to speak. Just my 30 cent worth.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Bob, I agree with most of what you say, particularly the last paragraph. May I remind everyone there is a public workshop scheduled this afternoon at 2:00 P.M. at the South Walton Court Annex on the ordinance "Village Mixed Use". It is probably the most onerous land use code we have. It will be interesting to see how the Planning Department defends it. I would urge you to attend this workshop if you possibly can.