• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
It seems to be gaining in popularity.

It's always been a popular idea....one that I might add has been discussed longer than I've lived in Walton County.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
Here it is...

It might be too early to gauge where South Walton County residents stand on incorporation, but a 75-seat theater was filled to the rafters Thursday for a presentation on the issue.

“We had great participation. Unfortunately, we had to turn a few people away,” said South Walton Community Council President Kelley Mossburg, who helped organize the event.

Visitors were interested in learning who the “theys” are who will have a say in any move to incorporation. Mossburg and Lynn Tipton with the Florida League of Cities provided the answers.

At this early stage, the SWCC has taken the lead to bring people with questions together, but Tipton said it will take a “true grass-roots effort” from community leaders, homeowners associations, civic groups and information providers to get the word out and gauge interest.

It takes a bare minimum of 15 months to get from the beginning of the incorporation movement to the end, she said.

Consensus for incorporation is key not only to decide which areas might be included in a new city, town or village, but also to convince Walton County’s legislative delegation — Sen. Don Gaetz and state Rep. Brad Drake — to champion the cause at the state level.

It takes a special act of the Florida Legislature to create a municipality, and the local legislators are key to getting that approved. Drake, a north Walton County Republican, would be called upon to introduce the legislation. Gaetz, a Niceville Republican, said it would be his thumbs up or thumbs down that would determine how his colleagues in the Senate vote.

Gaetz, who owns homes at Seaside, said he would not easily be convinced to add another layer of government on taxpayers in his district, but would not stand in the way of South Walton incorporation if a referendum showed great support.

A recent straw poll conducted in Navarre indicated most voters there are opposed to incorporation.

A feasibility study, to be completed before approaching the legislative delegation, would determine the boundaries of a new South Walton city, Tipton told the group. Mossburg said it is far too early now to discuss where they would be.

“I think if you get three people together and ask that question, you’ll get three different answers,” he said.

The area must be a “reasonably compact and contiguous” package, Tipton said. Bodies of water such as the several coastal dune lakes along Scenic Highway 30A would not factor into the “contiguous” equation, she said.

A city is created when a governing body is elected, Tipton said. The town of Estera will come into being March 17 with the election of a council.

Until a governing body meets, it can only be estimated how much any new taxes would be.

Tax benefits of incorporation would include access to state dollars that cities and counties get from gas taxes, Tipton said. Another benefit is “you get your own voice” in how dollars are raised are spent. Federal and state dollars are directed to cities as well as counties following a disaster, she added.

About 90 percent of Florida’s 411 cities collect property taxes over and above what the 67 counties collect, Tipton said. The 25 or so that don’t levy taxes charge fees. One or the other must be implemented to pay for services.

What services will be provided is up to the city, Tipton said, except for police and fire protection. If the new city decides not to form its own police and fire departments, it must show the state evidence of a contract with another agency to do so.

A new city also must provide the state with a comprehensive plan within the first two years of its existence, Tipton added.

Contracted services such as power or trash collection would be negotiated between the new city and the provider after whatever county contracts for those services expire, Tipton said. The new municipality will negotiate with the county regarding maintenance of county roads in the city limits.

Only registered voters who live in the city can vote in municipal elections, she said.

And no, Tipton answered to one question, it is highly unlikely the state will go for South Walton splitting into its own county. The last time that happened was 1925, she said.

Mossburg said he’s been hearing pros and cons from people, and expects “a lot more requests for information” as word gets out.

“I’ll be surprised if I don’t get calls from a couple of homeowners associations,” he said.

Jenny Dargavell, who attended the meeting, said the gathering “gave us a lot to think about.” She said she was just sorry South Walton hadn’t incorporated 10 years ago when the idea was raised for the first time.

“Maybe there’d have been less mistakes in development,” she said.

Resident Jacquee Markel also was glad she came.

“I think it’s great we’ve started the dialogue,” she said.

A video of Thursday’s meeting is available at www.southwaltoncc.org.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I dont think we need the extra layer of government that incorporation would bring. I think we need our own "COUNTY".

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
jodiFL, you are correct. But since it hasn't happen since 1925, I doubt that there is any chance of its approval. Incorporation would only add another layer of useless government and create more taxation. It is better to try and successfully work within the present system for accomplishment of SoWal's goals.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I have always believed that South Walton would need to incorporate in order to realize its potential, and I still believe that. County government is just not set up or intended to provide comprehensive planning, services, etc... for a fast growing community with unique needs. If you never want professional management and services then, stay under the county. If you want to see real progress in terms of town planning, growth management, infrastructure, industry, recycling, etc, then you have to incorporate. I've lived in both types of places - municipalities (large and small) and county - the difference in services and leadership is vast.

People say it's another level of government, and technically I suppose it is. But, I look at it as a better form of government with goals and long term commitments to your unique town.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Give me some parameters as to where the incorporation is to take place and then I might agree. I understand the need and my educational backround is in urban affairs, but the topography and non contiguous aspects of South Walton make it a very difficult venture to pursue.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Give me some parameters as to where the incorporation is to take place

Yes please...I'd be interested in knowing that as well....particularly for those along 30A who do share the same neighborhood, the same goals, attitudes and common interests who would be left high and dry in the County because the area in which they live falls into the non contiguous category.

Last edited: