• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Determining the parameters is part of the process. A lot of information comes out of feasibility studies. Those will start hopefully soon, along with public meetings with lots of public input and discussion. It will be very transparent. www.forabettersouthwalton.com There will be lots of information on this page in the weeks and months to come. Incorporation is not automatically about high taxes and too much government. It is different for every community. Those who have already decided that it is a bad thing can't possibly have had the time to do the research and their own feasibility studies to know if it would work here or not. The current system is not working for South Walton, so why not take a look at the way thousands of other communities have made the switch and what they gained from incorporation?

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I look at a couple area to our west, Mary Esther which has been a city since the 60's I believe and the city of Destin has been incorporated since the 90's. Depending of what services you want to supply they may be 2 in which you might want to ask residents what they think.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I don't think it's a bad thing for you to want incorporation. What I do think is bad is adding another layer a government, the inability to form your own police/fire departments or an expensive (maybe even cost prohibitive) contract with another agency to provide those services and contracts with power and trash collection services which may also be cost prohibitive.

I also think it's a bad thing to leave parts of a community you profess to love and want the best for to be left high and dry and still dependent on the government which you gave up on to incorporate because those community members fell into the non contiguous areas of South Walton.

Feasibility studies are also expensive and should be paid for by those who are driven to incorporate a community where the non contiguous issues actually prevent this idea from being anything more than a very expensive dream.

If you believe the government is so irrevocably broken then perhaps SoWal should use their unlimited resources (not taxpayer money) to fix all the problems listed above then incorporate.

I also think its ungrateful to think the government isn't working for you when the government actually listened to the homeowners along 30A who did not want the Hampton Inn and voted accordingly.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Misty, if you don't live in South Walton, why do you care? Just curious.

There is as much or as little additional government "layer" as the community wants. Communities incorporate for many different reasons. The reason I hear most often here is wanting self- governance and stronger controls over our development, dune lakes, and infrastructure. It's not so hard to understand why we would want these things. You seem to have your reasons to oppose it and that's OK. You won't be voting for or against it.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Misty, if you don't live in South Walton, why do you care? Just curious.

Oh, so now I have to live in South Walton to care about my community?

Mmmm K jdarg!!

It was ok for me to care and be opposed to Hampton Inn because it went against the Comprehensive Plan but it's not ok for me to care as a taxpayer?

Gotcha! From here on out, I'll let you decide what I should and shouldn't care about. (As if!)

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The reason I hear most often here is wanting self- governance and stronger controls over our development, dune lakes, and infrastructure.

Infrastructure that was built off the backs of all the taxpayers in Walton County....Dune lakes which belong to all the people of this county, development that directly or indirectly effects all of Walton County...sounds pretty selfish to me....but that's just my opinion as someone who doesn't live in SoWal and shouldn't have a say in SoWal business even though it's considered part of my community.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Just wish the whole community had put more effort into managing growth and infrastructure all these years. Instead of wasting energy and money and time playing political games.

This is not the first time a community has turn to incorporation, and I doubt it will be the last time. Teresa 's post sound up all the reasons and benefits perfectly. Perhaps you should go read it, and also read the material on the website. As was stated in the meeting the other night, South Walton has reached the tipping point. And if we incorporate, there is a much greater chance that all the wonderful things about South Walton will stay the same and even be better for when you cross the bridge to enjoy the beaches, lakes, neighborhoods, shopping, restaurants, and activities.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Spare us your false outrage.

More than 90% of the county's income comes from south of the Bay. Only 11% of that money is spent in the community that produces it, despite massive infrastructure problems and deficiencies. That community is also severely underrepresented in the local government because of how the districts were gerrymandered.

One vote doesn't change that.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Just wish the whole community had put more effort into managing growth and infrastructure all these years. Instead of wasting energy and money and time playing political games.

I wish myself that this county wasn't run by "good ole boys" many of whom didn't or don't have the sense God gave a jacka$$ and have wished it for years but I've also learned over the years that as stubborn as some of those jacka$$es are, change is possible if the community sticks together. The Hampton Inn is but one example and believe it or not jdarg I don't have to live there to have a voice in my government. I'm very capable of making myself heard if I need to when I'm passionate about something that effects us all.

Does government always listen...absolutely, does the outcome always positively impact the community/county as a whole...absolutely not but it's a certifiable fact that what we have now is one hell of allot better than anything we have had in the past. We still have improvements in government that need to be made (huge improvements) but I can honestly tell you that the improvements I've seen over the last 25 years or so are incredible.

I read what Teresa had to say and I'm not opposed to incorporation, I just don't believe it's possible.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Spare us your false outrage.

No outrage here, I just think it's ridiculous to think incorporation is the answer to SoWals prayers.