• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JBBeached

Beach Comber
Jun 11, 2008
I know some beachfront owners who are really nice people and apparently you do, too. No signs, no running people off the beach or even asking them to move. The worst they have done is to ask people to stay off the dunes they are working on re-building out of their own pockets. I also know some that have put up signs because they were overrun by people due to being near a regional or even a neighborhood access. They are nice people, too, they just want to be respected by the people who use the beach and by the county personnel who make and enforce the rules.

Since you are a leader in this movement, would you please define what customary use means to you? I'm not sure that there has been a definition established from a legal standpoint. Would the Walton County BCC then make (or not) all the rules and handle all the enforcement for everything on the entire beach (except state parks)? For instance, could or would customary use entitle vendors anywhere and everywhere? Would the public be able to set up wall-to-wall tents, chairs, and umbrellas anywhere they choose? Could weddings and events be held anywhere on the beach? Could hotdog or snow cone vendors eventually be allowed to use property that someone is paying premium taxes on to run a commercial enterprise (actually I suppose that applies to all vendors)? If a beachfront owner's lot (let's say near an access) is full to the brim with beachgoer "equipment", does that mean the owner who pays taxes doesn't even have priority to have a spot on the beach in front of their house? If I put myself in a beachfront owner's shoes, these are just a few questions that immediately pop into my head (and from concerns I've heard expressed). Some of the things that seem to genuinely concern the people I know, concern me, too. What are your views on these concerns?

I would imagine there are quite a few beachfront owners who can't sit in front on their house. I can only get a spot if I go put chairs out very, very early. Even then, if I only put out a couple of chairs people move them. They either throw them up higher on the beach or lay them down and proceed to sit where the chairs were set up. Some of the vendors are completely rude when you remind them that they are not to set up in front of the houses.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I would imagine there are quite a few beachfront owners who can't sit in front on their house. I can only get a spot if I go put chairs out very, very early. Even then, if I only put out a couple of chairs people move them. They either throw them up higher on the beach or lay them down and proceed to sit where the chairs were set up. Some of the vendors are completely rude when you remind them that they are not to set up in front of the houses.
I'm betting they wouldn't like it if you moved their chairs.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
I know some beachfront owners who are really nice people and apparently you do, too. No signs, no running people off the beach or even asking them to move. The worst they have done is to ask people to stay off the dunes they are working on re-building out of their own pockets. I also know some that have put up signs because they were overrun by people due to being near a regional or even a neighborhood access. They are nice people, too, they just want to be respected by the people who use the beach and by the county personnel who make and enforce the rules.

Since you are a leader in this movement, would you please define what customary use means to you? I'm not sure that there has been a definition established from a legal standpoint. Would the Walton County BCC then make (or not) all the rules and handle all the enforcement for everything on the entire beach (except state parks)? For instance, could or would customary use entitle vendors anywhere and everywhere? Would the public be able to set up wall-to-wall tents, chairs, and umbrellas anywhere they choose? Could weddings and events be held anywhere on the beach? Could hotdog or snow cone vendors eventually be allowed to use property that someone is paying premium taxes on to run a commercial enterprise (actually I suppose that applies to all vendors)? If a beachfront owner's lot (let's say near an access) is full to the brim with beachgoer "equipment", does that mean the owner who pays taxes doesn't even have priority to have a spot on the beach in front of their house? If I put myself in a beachfront owner's shoes, these are just a few questions that immediately pop into my head (and from concerns I've heard expressed). Some of the things that seem to genuinely concern the people I know, concern me, too. What are your views on these concerns?

I have been vigorously vocal in print and at the workshop on the need to enforce the Beach Activities ordinance in deference to the Beachfront homeowners concerns; that is very well documented. The lack of enforcement is why it has come to this. All this is being addressed by the BCC and Code Enforcement finally.

I believe beach vending should be very closely regulated; I personally believe there should be either no vending at all on public beach acceses or only a small portion should be leased to one vender with strict limits (rent a chair, set up a chair; no pre set ups)

Regarding Customary use within the limits of the Beach Activities ordinance people should be allowed to traverse and enjoy any beach as they have been doing since man walked upright. Fishing, sitting, throwing a football, behaving civilly with respect to any others should be allowed on any beach. Customary use is not a taking of private property, it allows for access through and on private property on beaches. And in Walton County that access should be allowed under the regulation and enforcement of the Beach Activities ordinance. I too have beachfront homeowners who are my friends and I am currently in dialog with one to make this situation better. Whatever the outcome it should be fair for the beachfront homeowners and the public so we may all go back to enjoying the beach instead of fighting over it.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
I have read it and I agree that the case is very different than our situation here in Walton County. If Tona-Rama had been as clear cut as people represent it, I believe there would already be customary use throughout the state of Florida.

There are three states that have adopted Customary Use doctrine. There is no reason why we can't in Florida. Our leaders just have to have the will and not buckle to the legal challenges of a few.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Dave, why so quick to give WCSO a pass on Enforcement, but you'll call out BCC and Code Enforcement (not that I don't agree they both are culpable).

WCSO spends big money on Beach Patrol Unit, with trucks, jet skis (2 new this year), small boat (never used), atvs, etc.

What is their function in all this?

We have life guards funded and SWFD does all the medical (quite well too).

So why do we have a WCSO Beach Patrol Unit? Do they not enforce State Law and Local Ordinance by their very design and definition ? They have an SOP outlining how (or how not to) handle beach trespass issues....

I'm confused

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Dave, why so quick to give WCSO a pass on Enforcement, but you'll call out BCC and Code Enforcement (not that I don't agree they both are culpable).

WCSO spends big money on Beach Patrol Unit, with trucks, jet skis (2 new this year), small boat (never used), atvs, etc.

So why do we have a WCSO Beach Patrol Unit? Do they not enforce State Law and Local Ordinance by their very design and definition ? They have an SOP outlining how (or how not to) handle beach trespass issues....

I'm confused
I think it will ultimately fall on citizens to take back our beaches. To let people know - visitors and vendors and anyone else - what is acceptable and what is not. I wouldn't be surprised to see a "beach posse" spring up. Good beach ambassadors who are our on the beaches to help, but also have the confidence to stop bad behavior and get a quick response of police backup when needed.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

I'm confused

Shocker.

Did you know that in addition to the Gulf of Mexico Walton county has 3 times the shoreline called the bay; plus multiple rivers, streams and other waterways. Sorry all that equipment isn't in front of your house for you to personally verify it's usage. As for the boat it is used from time to time and I have personally helped push it over sandbars during one of those launchings for an emergency.

TDC code enforcement was created to take over calls and patrolling of violations of Beach activities ordinance so the Sheriff's can work real crimes. I'm not saying glass on the beach isn't a real crime, but I'd hate to be in the bank getting robbed to find out a deputy was dealing with Mr. Touron who doesn't know you don't take glass near water.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Shocker.

Did you know that in addition to the Gulf of Mexico Walton county has 3 times the shoreline called the bay; plus multiple rivers, streams and other waterways. Sorry all that equipment isn't in front of your house for you to personally verify it's usage. As for the boat it is used from time to time and I have personally helped push it over sandbars during one of those launchings for an emergency.

TDC code enforcement was created to take over calls and patrolling of violations of Beach activities ordinance so the Sheriff's can work real crimes. I'm not saying glass on the beach isn't a real crime, but I'd hate to be in the bank getting robbed to find out a deputy was dealing with Mr. Touron who doesn't know you don't take glass near water.

They're now called Yeti people.