• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
If the concern is living conditions, and construction to fix that is already in the works, why do we need to waste $25K on a study and delay months before addressing it? Increase the fee and fix the issue.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
If the concern is living conditions, and construction to fix that is already in the works, why do we need to waste $25K on a study and delay months before addressing it? Increase the fee and fix the issue.

The belief is that if funding were being handled appropriately, the fixes would have already happened. It's a valid argument. The can started being kicked down the road 8 years ago.

The truth is the county has wasted more money with useless, costly feasibility studies (4 that I know of) and other frivolities (lawsuits) that they can't seem to put taxpayer money to good use.

In fairness to Ms. Nipper, it wouldn't surprise me at all if she was not aware of previous studies, she just took office. She saw a major problem, listened to First Responder concerns and is determined to get something done about it. However, when the comment was made at the BCC meeting last night that there is emergency/contingency money that could be used, a prime opportunity got lost in the can and its been kicked down the road again. IMO.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
The belief is that if funding were being handled appropriately, the fixes would have already happened. It's a valid argument. The can started being kicked down the road 8 years ago.

The truth is the county has wasted more money with useless, costly feasibility studies (4 that I know of) and other frivolities (lawsuits) that they can't seem to put taxpayer money to good use.

In fairness to Ms. Nipper, it wouldn't surprise me at all if she was not aware of previous studies, she just took office. She saw a major problem, listened to First Responder concerns and is determined to get something done about it. However, when the comment was made at the BCC meeting last night that there is emergency/contingency money that could be used, a prime opportunity got lost in the can and its been kicked down the road again. IMO.

This is right on point. Great summary.

I too would be concerned as a new BCC Member as both Nipper and Anderson obviously were. However, doing your home work and looking at the failures of the past are a good way to prepare too. Being able to place blame where it belongs is also a good first step.

I believe three of the five seated BCC members had the ability at one time or another to address this. The official record would have to be checked on who said and did what.

Again, this topic is no new news, its just got some new ears to hear it and hopefully they will address it unlike their predecessors....

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
This problem goes back 15-20 years and was started when the county forced all the volunteer departments out of existence with the exception of Liberty and Argyle. Volunteer departments are much more cost effective (see the Liberty and Argyle budgets as compared with WCFR) and provide a reasonable service for rural areas. A tax increase for EVERY north end resident, many of whom are elderly and low income people who live on social security or low wages, of 350-500 dollars is an economic nightmare. I know people who live on 1400 or less in social security but own their homes. They cannot afford this level of taxes in addition to what they currently pay.

The problem is that the volunteer departments are not coming back so we must have a professional service. These individuals place their lives on the line serving the public and deserve competitive wages and top drawer working conditions. Currently Walton County provides neither. The stations should be expanded and modernized and there should be enough staff to provide services safely. Wages should be competitive.

This is a difficult issue because I sympathize with Sowal/DFS/Liberty/Argyle residents who pay for their own protection and most of the costs for the rest of us. I understand the frustration but this is one county and the rural areas did not ask to be stripped of their volunteer protection that was affordable.

I wonder about the span of control at the SO if another large department is added that is a discipline very different from law enforcement. The money still must come from the BCC and they could provide the funding for the stations immediately. I do not know if consolidation addresses the underlying problems.

Finally, Bobby Martin is a good man and a long-term county employee who has served the citizens of Walton County for over 30 years. I have been in his position where you cannot get needed funds but must do the best you can with what you have. I know given a fair chance he can get the department on course.

TheZohan

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2010
Defuniak Springs
I think the questions we all need to ask is how does the North Fire District keep up with Fleet Management of their vehicles and do they have their own Fleet Maintenance Shop or do they outsource repairs? My concerns are how much will it impact the WCSO to bring in their fleet of vehicles. Fleet Management is often overlooked when doing a feasibility study. Due to the fact that assessing a fleet requires detailed knowledge of that particular vehicle and what kind of life expectancy that you can achieve out of it before the cost of repairs become too much to maintain or if it is a liability in the event that it ever was to break down while en route to an emergency.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
This problem goes back 15-20 years and was started when the county forced all the volunteer departments out of existence with the exception of Liberty and Argyle. Volunteer departments are much more cost effective (see the Liberty and Argyle budgets as compared with WCFR) and provide a reasonable service for rural areas. A tax increase for EVERY north end resident, many of whom are elderly and low income people who live on social security or low wages, of 350-500 dollars is an economic nightmare. I know people who live on 1400 or less in social security but own their homes. They cannot afford this level of taxes in addition to what they currently pay.

The problem is that the volunteer departments are not coming back so we must have a professional service. These individuals place their lives on the line serving the public and deserve competitive wages and top drawer working conditions. Currently Walton County provides neither. The stations should be expanded and modernized and there should be enough staff to provide services safely. Wages should be competitive.

This is a difficult issue because I sympathize with Sowal/DFS/Liberty/Argyle residents who pay for their own protection and most of the costs for the rest of us. I understand the frustration but this is one county and the rural areas did not ask to be stripped of their volunteer protection that was affordable.

I wonder about the span of control at the SO if another large department is added that is a discipline very different from law enforcement. The money still must come from the BCC and they could provide the funding for the stations immediately. I do not know if consolidation addresses the underlying problems.

Finally, Bobby Martin is a good man and a long-term county employee who has served the citizens of Walton County for over 30 years. I have been in his position where you cannot get needed funds but must do the best you can with what you have. I know given a fair chance he can get the department on course.

Danny until a couple years ago Argyle and Liberty were collecting monies from the county to offset their cost for providing fire protection within their fire districts.When they increased their assessments, they brought in more money than what the county was providing. Compared to each other and the county what is the population and area covered in those 2 districts and the county? I only ask because you have said they are paying "most of the cost for the rest of us". I also want to point out that separating the cost of EMS from the fire budget should be looked out. Although I have no problem with them operating as on department there should be an accounting of that budget. EMS is provided county wide and should be accounted that way and paid for that way. I also believe that the fire budget should be increased and that first step should be to increase the MSBU for those who recieve that service, which I am one and then look to the ad valorem to make up the rest. I understand that there are many who live on fixed incomes and I believe there are protections in place to address those issues. This is just my opinion.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Bob your points are valid and there are areas covered by WCFR that have the tax base to provide a strong professional service. Freeport, Black Creek, Portland and Choctaw Beach come to mind. Mossy Head and Woodlawn may get there if growth continues. But the rest of the north doesn't have enough density and is not likely to achieve it any time soon. You know far better than I that in order to provide quality service a certain number of employees, apparatus, and stations per square mile are required. The large portion of the north cannot support these things without a large subsidy. I also think you would agree that it is wrong to put people in harms way without enough support and enough people.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Bob your points are valid and there are areas covered by WCFR that have the tax base to provide a strong professional service. Freeport, Black Creek, Portland and Choctaw Beach come to mind. Mossy Head and Woodlawn may get there if growth continues. But the rest of the north doesn't have enough density and is not likely to achieve it any time soon. You know far better than I that in order to provide quality service a certain number of employees, apparatus, and stations per square mile are required. The large portion of the north cannot support these things without a large subsidy. I also think you would agree that it is wrong to put people in harms way without enough support and enough people.
I agree and that is why an analysis of the WCFR is needed to provide the necessary funding. I can assure you that it is not getting any cheaper to do it and as long the BCC refuses to address the issue we will always be behind the standards and it won't make any difference who operates the FD, because it is all about funding.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
LETTER: Walton Co. chairwoman should serve constituents first

At the Board of County Commissioners meeting Tuesday in South Walton, our new County Commissioner Melanie Nipper asked for a feasibility study to determine whether or not our first responders (EMT and firefighters) would be better served under the auspices of the Walton County Sheriff's Office. The Board unanimously agreed to the study and several firefighters and their families spoke of deplorable conditions at their existing stations - much of which has gone on for a very long time, and in some cases, years. Many who spoke felt like they may have jeopardized their own positions to speak out about their living situations away from home.

The burning issue I have after listening to all who spoke was NOT the feasibility study (everyone agrees something MUST be done), but that the county is fixing to write a check to the tune of $175,000 for a lawsuit they knew they could not win with another one just filed against three members of the county. Plus, we also have a county commissioner who just applied for a $50,000 grant to upgrade her office and spent $6,000-plus (of taxpayer money) on her office desk, but there is no emergency or contingency money available for those who risk their lives every day for all of us?

Maybe my perspective is skewed but I think $56 thousand plus the $175 thousand the county is fixing to write a check for would have gone a long way in correcting some of the problems. Forgive me also for thinking Chairwoman Jones is going to need constant reminders the next two years that she was elected to serve her constituents first and herself last!

- Lynda Morse, DeFuniak Springs

Well said, very well said.

:clap:

Last edited by a moderator: