• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
So, after the above back-and-forth total waste of electrons, does anyone have an update on the BCC meeting?

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Results of the BCC meeting of December 12:

The BCC voted 3-2 to put the question of confederate flag removal from courthouse lawn on a referendum ballot during the November 2018 general election. Chapman and Nipper voted not to send it to a ballot.
The wording of the referendum is important but was not discussed.
The flag was mentioned in the motion but not the memorial that stands beside the flag on the courthouse grounds. Against the objection of many who called for the BCC to vote up or down, Jones, Anderson, and Comander said put it on a ballot; we are not going to vote on it tonight. A referendum costs the taxpayers approximately $40,000.

The Beach Activity Ordinance changes will be continued to Monday, January 8 at 10 a.m.
at the south Walton Annex. It appears the upland property owners in front of a public beach will no longer have the authority to prohibit vending. A vote will be taken Jan.8.

Cypress Lake PUD was heard over the objections of opponents who asked for a continuance but were denied. Apparently Anderson’s office told the opponent’s representative it would be continued and when it was not to be continued, Anderson failed to notify the opponents. Interesting that the same engineering firm that has a long time contract for continuing engineering services was the engineer on the Cypress Lake PUD asking the county to whom it is contracted to approve a Land Development project. Conflict?
You decide. Approved 4-1 with Nipper as the nay vote.

A grievance procedure policy that would allow complainants to have legal counsel or other representation at an interview or other proceedings was discussed.
Currently, if an employee files a grievance against a commissioner,
they are prohibited from having counsel in the room. We think that is a violation of a person’s rights.
This will be reviewed again at the December 21 BCC in DeFuniak Springs. Cecilia Jones spoke against making this change instead asking for a overhaul of the policies which as everyone knows would take at least a year. No surprise there. She is the subject of the complaints and she is up for re-election in 2018.

According to the Tourist Development Council , October tourism numbers were down compared to last October.

www.facebook.com/Waltonpolitics/?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite&notif_id=1480115790854908

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Or you can watch the meeting in its entirety @ walton.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=559 Add the http:// in front of walton

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
I literally just proved that your post was wrong about a 2nd commissioner have to recuse themselves. Keep up LD.

OMG would you please stop with this!!

2 Commissioners have family that are vendors!!

I never said he HAD to recuse himself. You're making that up. What I think he should do and what he legally has to do are 2 entirely different scenarios!!

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I suspect that golf cart vending is not considered a conflict regarding the Beach Activities Ordinance because golf carts are not used/allowed on the beach. Hope that isn't next!:hmm:

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
I suspect that golf cart vending is not considered a conflict regarding the Beach Activities Ordinance because golf carts are not used/allowed on the beach. Hope that isn't next!:hmm:

I suspect you are probably right. Vendors all have skin in the game when it comes to vending in my opinion. It's also an issue exclusive to SoWal because we don't have vendors up here.

I have noticed that there seems to be a push for parking at beach access points for golf carts which again in MY OPINION would create a conflict. With everything else they are going to allow on the beach it may be just a matter of time before you see them there as well.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I suspect you are probably right. Vendors all have skin in the game when it comes to vending in my opinion. It's also an issue exclusive to SoWal because we don't have vendors up here.

I have noticed that there seems to be a push for parking at beach access points for golf carts which again in MY OPINION would create a conflict. With everything else they are going to allow on the beach it may be just a matter of time before you see them there as well.
Golf cart parking is not necessarily a bad idea as long as it is well defined and enforced. Oops, there's that nasty problem of enforcement again!

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
@FactorFiction Consider this also...shortly after Tony Anderson was elected he admitted to having a gas grill on the beach which at the time violated the beach ordinances. He wasn't a Commissioner when it happened so, no biggie and I doubt seriously he was fined.

Now, they can have grills on the beach. Pushing Agendas!

Enforcement? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: