• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
WALTON COUNTY BCC APPROVES LIFTING OF SHORT-TERM RENTAL BAN

During today's Emergency Meeting the Walton County BCC voted unanimously to lift the short-term rental ban effective immediately under guidelines approved by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis.

To view Walton County's Short-Term Rental Plan, visit https://www.co.walton.fl.us/DocumentCenter/View/38227/Walton-County-Short-Term-Rental-Plan?bidId=

Per the Governor’s executive order, reservations for dates within the next 45 days may not be accepted for renters coming from COVID-19 hotspots which include Louisiana, Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey.

For more information or if you have any questions, please call Walton County's COVID-19 hotline at (850) 892-8392.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
In the BCC meeting yesterday there was a question about pools and a commissioner said pools were limited to 10 people. I think he was confused with the 10 people in a group rule. Anyone know?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
WALTON COUNTY BCC APPROVES LIFTING OF SHORT-TERM RENTAL BAN

During today's Emergency Meeting the Walton County BCC voted unanimously to lift the short-term rental ban effective immediately under guidelines approved by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis.

To view Walton County's Short-Term Rental Plan, visit https://www.co.walton.fl.us/DocumentCenter/View/38227/Walton-County-Short-Term-Rental-Plan?bidId=

Per the Governor’s executive order, reservations for dates within the next 45 days may not be accepted for renters coming from COVID-19 hotspots which include Louisiana, Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey.

For more information or if you have any questions, please call Walton County's COVID-19 hotline at (850) 892-8392.

Does the CDC clearly define states that are hotspot states? Are those four above the ones we are specifically not suppose to rent to? The map I saw on the CDC website was vague. It showed hotspots in every single state and i guess the diameter of the circles is suppose to tell you how many cases were in each state, but it would be whole lot more helpful if it showed the regions in which states were hard hit.

culdeus

Beach Comber
May 15, 2020
Dallas, TX
Does the CDC clearly define states that are hotspot states? Are those four above the ones we are specifically not suppose to rent to? The map I saw on the CDC website was vague. It showed hotspots in every single state and i guess the diameter of the circles is suppose to tell you how many cases were in each state, but it would be whole lot more helpful if it showed the regions in which states were hard hit.

The feedback we got from our host was it would be state to state based at the caseload of 700/100k. There is no consideration of whether Dallas has 700/100k while the rest of texas is at 180/100k. There are several counties in Texas over the limit. Most of them near the border with LA. They will be allowed to make a reservation.

Once the threshold is reached it is a 45 day hold from the latest most point.

There is nearly no indication of how this will be enforced. The IT systems of VRBO and Airbnb would need to be altered and there is no indication this is happening. They may require the hosts to do a reality check, I suppose.

There is also no indication of what happens if you make a reservation, and then later your state pops the number. Nowhere does it say you can't check-in. Only that you can't make a reservation from that point for 45 days.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
The feedback we got from our host was it would be state to state based at the caseload of 700/100k. There is no consideration of whether Dallas has 700/100k while the rest of texas is at 180/100k. There are several counties in Texas over the limit. Most of them near the border with LA. They will be allowed to make a reservation.

There is nearly no indication of how this will be enforced. The IT systems of VRBO and Airbnb would need to be altered and there is no indication this is happening. They may require the hosts to do a reality check, I suppose.

There is also no indication of what happens if you make a reservation, and then later your state pops the number. Nowhere does it say you can't check-in. Only that you can't make a reservation from that point for 45 days.
The last time I did a "reality check", it bounced, badly.:blink:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake

Are you saying that on the day a state reports 700k, then vacationers from that state cannot arrive here for 45 days? Does anybody have a site where they give the current case numbers state by state? My moral dilemmas keep compounding day by day. It would be great to have some definitive word before I break some people's hearts.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL

culdeus

Beach Comber
May 15, 2020
Dallas, TX
Are you saying that on the day a state reports 700k, then vacationers from that state cannot arrive here for 45 days? Does anybody have a site where they give the current case numbers state by state? My moral dilemmas keep compounding day by day. It would be great to have some definitive word before I break some people's hearts.

It's 700 cases per 100k residents having active cases. Not 700k active cases. LA was at 724 yesterday. There are I believe 8 states popping the number right now.

Here's where it gets fun, there's not a specific list of where to get this for each state. I would just use worldometer for a quick check and if it's close call the county reps.

As of today NY, NJ, MA, RI, CT, DC, DL, IL, LA, MY are all out.

Nebraska and Michigan look to cross soon going up and LA going down.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It's 700 cases per 100k residents having active cases. Not 700k active cases. LA was at 724 yesterday. There are I believe 8 states popping the number right now.

Here's where it gets fun, there's not a specific list of where to get this for each state. I would just use worldometer for a quick check and if it's close call the county reps.

As of today NY, NJ, MA, RI, CT, DC, DL, IL, LA, MY are all out.

Nebraska and Michigan look to cross soon going up and LA going down.

Very good information. Thanks. I really tried to do the math on this, and got bogged down. Drinking another beer didn't help at all. I just am curious how we stack up on this 700 cases per 100k residents. I have vacationers that really badly want to come here from Louisiana (not New Orleans) and Illinois (Not Chicago) who have had reservations for three or four months. Must have real statistics before I break their hearts.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I don't know. These are the states listed. Doesn't make much sense. Especially for enforcement. What happened to the 14 day quarantine? Which was also a half measure, unenforceable and used up a lot of law enforcement resources while stopping traffic coming into Florida.