• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
wintersbk said:
How long a drive is it to Cape San Blas, Port St. Joseph Peninsula from Seagrove?
The drive from Seagrove to the base of Cape San Blas is a solid two hours without any traffic.

Shells don't mean much unless you found them yourself, hence collections not being lifted from rental units.

Swimming out the distance of the existing sandbar, is against WalCo ordinances.

Sharks swim over, and can more often be found out that far, but occasionally, they can be found very close to the beach, like the one which swimmed close to shore in Grayton on Friday evening. Even if you see one, it doesn't mean that they are going to eat you. Just be sure that you don't swim out with bait in your pocket or get tangled in a school of baitfish. Baitfish often go to cover and you would certainly be their cover when being chased by Dolphin or a Shark.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
30A Skunkape said:
Yeah, and HWYs 30A and 98 are full of people operating multiton machines drunk, yapping on cellphones, speeding, etc. :pissed: I'll take my chances with the sharks. We can't live scared, people! :razz:

Skunk, you must have seen the girl in the Mercedes yapping on the cell phone as she pulled across 2.5 lanes as she tried to take out me and my car the other day in Sandestin. I laid on the horn, and she barely reacted.

Or, perhaps you saw the Mexican in big green truck proudly displaying the huge American Flag as he turned halfway into my lane as I was attempting to cross hwy 98.

Sharks, shmarks. The rip-currents have already killed more people in this area year to date than all of the shark attacks in this area for the last 5 years. Cigarettes and car wrecks have also taken many more lives. Don't get me wrong, when I am out in the water, I keep an eye out for the big dark moving splotches, but not nearly as much as I do for autos entering my lane.

CastlesOfSand

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
I always find shells when I'm on 30A. I like to walk the beach in the mornings as well. Last time we were there I found many large unbroken shells out on the sandbars. You could literally walk out to the sandbars when we were there without getting in water over your ankles. I also found the arrow head (my tar for now) in the surf just where the waves break (at Seagrove Beach). I think we found at least 10 sand dollars as well. I love to hunt for treasure!!!! :cool:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
TooFarTampa said:
Just pointing out the obvious benefit of the overall lack of shells -- lots of shells make for grainier, darker and sometimes uncomfortable sand. Beaches along the west coast of Florida are great for shelling (and in some places ancient sharks' teeth) but trust me when I say the Panhandle beaches have it very good indeed.

It also makes treasures like Ocean Lover's even more special!

what perzactly is an Ocean Lovers shell - my curiosity got the best of me and i had to ask

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Crooked Island off Tyndall is a spot where we've had pretty good luck shelling. To my knowledge, there is no shuttle, so you have to access it with your own boat. Three years ago, I found the biggest whole sand dollar I've ever seen.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
JB said:
Crooked Island off Tyndall is a spot where we've had pretty good luck shelling. To my knowledge, there is no shuttle, so you have to access it with your own boat. Three years ago, I found the biggest whole sand dollar I've ever seen.
Oh no :nono1:, you don't want to go there. You may step on a land mind, get eaten by an alligator or shark, get shot by the military folks, have a bomb accidentally dropped on your head, etc. Stay away from Crooked Island, unless you take me as your guide.

JB, shame on you! ;-) Now stop it, or I am never going to post another photo of that house in Blue Mtn.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I had a feeling I might be giving away a secret. But since I sold my boat..... :lol:

I would like to see a progres pic of the BMB house, though.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Smiling JOe said:
Oh no :nono1:, you don't want to go there. You may step on a land mind, get eaten by an alligator or shark, get shot by the military folks, have a bomb accidentally dropped on your head, etc. Stay away from Crooked Island, unless you take me as your guide.

JB, shame on you! ;-) Now stop it, or I am never going to post another photo of that house in Blue Mtn.

Hey, .44 caliber empties don't count as shells? :funn: