• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
What is the opposite of a "Christian Nationalist"? I assume from your comment the opposite would better for America?

What groups do you see as hate groups?
I believe that extremism on both sides has turned to hatred. What would be better for America is less political hatred, 3 or more political parties and more awareness of our human flaws. Somehow we have allowed a two party system to dictate right and wrong which allows us to justify all sorts of bad behavior. If you can't see the hatred on both sides then your eyes are closed and there is nothing I can say that will open them.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
This thread has blown up much more than it needs to.
Take the flag down if you must. The memorial did not have a flag attached to it until the early 1960s.
The memorial, however, is a totally different story. I have many friends whose ancestors names are on the monument. I have also met people whose grandfathers or great-grandfathers returned from the war to find their homes burned and their wives and children dead. Many people had slaves, just as many locally did not but protecting their homes and families required them to join forces with the Confederacy. Leave the monument alone.
It was an ugly time, and we are close to that again. Let us not repeat it. And don't forget our efforts are better spent combating the slavery that exists today. Human trafficking is very real in our own communities.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
This thread has blown up much more than it needs to.
Take the flag down if you must. The memorial did not have a flag attached to it until the early 1960s.
The memorial, however, is a totally different story. I have many friends whose ancestors names are on the monument. I have also met people whose grandfathers or great-grandfathers returned from the war to find their homes burned and their wives and children dead. Many people had slaves, just as many locally did not but protecting their homes and families required them to join forces with the Confederacy. Leave the monument alone.
It was an ugly time, and we are close to that again. Let us not repeat it. And don't forget our efforts are better spent combating the slavery that exists today. Human trafficking is very real in our own communities.

If I follow your logic then those human traffickers deserve a monument too? Here's a flag to fly over it:

1720642621700.png

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
The monument was placed originally at the Courthouse in Eucheeanna by the Daughters of the Confederacy and moved to DeFuniak when the Courthouse did. If Daughters of Epstein put up a monument, we could deal with it when it first happens, not when it becomes a piece of local history.
BTW, you do know that most of Point Washington was owned by a Brigadier General of the CSA, whose troops saved Tallahassee from falling into Union hands at the Battle of Natural Bridge? He donated the land for both churches, the cemetery, and the original school. Possibly Bay Elementary too, as back in the day Bay Elementary's sulphur water still came from the well for the old school. in the early 1900's he dropped dead in his front yard, in front of the teenager that would become my grandmother. His homestead is commemorated on my cousin's lot. Should everyone move out of Point Washington?
General Miller had a hand in Grayton Beach as well. Tear everything down and vacate it.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The monument was placed originally at the Courthouse in Eucheeanna by the Daughters of the Confederacy and moved to DeFuniak when the Courthouse did. If Daughters of Epstein put up a monument, we could deal with it when it first happens, not when it becomes a piece of local history.
BTW, you do know that most of Point Washington was owned by a Brigadier General of the CSA, whose troops saved Tallahassee from falling into Union hands at the Battle of Natural Bridge? He donated the land for both churches, the cemetery, and the original school. Possibly Bay Elementary too, as back in the day Bay Elementary's sulphur water still came from the well for the old school. in the early 1900's he dropped dead in his front yard, in front of the teenager that would become my grandmother. His homestead is commemorated on my cousin's lot. Should everyone move out of Point Washington?
General Miller had a hand in Grayton Beach as well. Tear everything down and vacate it.

I'll leave you to your whataboutism.