• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I can't imagine the property owners nearby would let this go without a fight. I don't know what's around there, but doesn't state law require property taxes be levied for a parcel's "highest and best use"? This would seem like it would, um, ratchet taxes up a notch (or 25 notches :eek: ) for the neighbors.

What power does the planning department have if there are no specific laws against this? I think at this point it is up to the commissioners to pass that law right quick.

:leaving: Gotta go send some emails.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
What power does the planning department have if there are no specific laws against this? I think at this point it is up to the commissioners to pass that law right quick.

:leaving: Gotta go send some emails.

Exactly! If there are no laws against it, the Planning Dept will shove it right up the butts of the BCC, who will pass it after saying, "We trust that the Planning Staff know what they are doing, and we see no reason why we cannot approve this project." Then, the BCC will issue a height restriction on future developments, and brag about what they did to protect WalCo. Send the emails quickly. The next BCC meeting is this coming Tuesday. The Commissioners need to stamp this out before they have a chance to vote on the approval of the project, which will be in October, according to the article.

URGENT!!!! Send those emails, don't stop at just one to each Commissioner. Send one per day to each Commissioner and call their offices and homes daily, and let your voice be heard loud and clear.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'll help you out for those without much time on your hands. You can use this verbatim, or feel free to add your own comments to it.
Email it often, starting right now!

There email addresses are (simply copy and paste):

scott brannon <brascott@co.walton.fl.us>,
Cindy Meadows <meacindy@co.Walton.fl.us>,
Sara Commander <comsara@co.Walton.fl.us>,
ken pridgen <prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us>,
larry jones <jonlarry@co.walton.fl.us>

Dear Commissioner,
I understand that there is a 25 story project proposed for Walton County, which is currently before the Planning Dept. I urge you to make a motion and vote for the passage of the height restriction, currently on the books for South Walton, to be extended for all of Walton County. This should be done right away, at the next BCC meeting, prior to this proposed 25 story project coming before the BCC.

Sincerely,

(your name)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I just fell out of my chair reading this...:rotfl: then :eek: !

Are there any buyers for such a place? I'm not dissing Freeport, but aren't there a kajillion condos for sale in Destin and PCB that have lots of amenities, close to restaurants and shopping, and are on or close to the Gulf?

Other than a bay view, what is there? Oh yeah- a resident would be on the right side of the bridge for a hurricane evacuation.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Done, done, done, done and done.

I just fell out of my chair reading this...:rotfl: then :eek: !

Are there any buyers for such a place? I'm not dissing Freeport, but aren't there a kajillion condos for sale in Destin and PCB that have lots of amenities, close to restaurants and shopping, and are on or close to the Gulf?

Other than a bay view, what is there? Oh yeah- a resident would be on the right side of the bridge for a hurricane evacuation.

Quote from the article: "The 120-unit high-rise probably won?t go up for several years, said attorney Dana Matthews, who represents the developers."

Methinks they are trying to get it approved now in hopes of being first in line for whatever "boom" comes when the airport is built. ie, it may never happen (right SHELLY) but they are trying to get it past the planners now.

I wonder if there is a statute of limitations on the planners' rubber stamp?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
There is a time frame once a DO (development order) is issued, for the infrastructure construction to begin. If the DO expires, they would have to start all over again. However, notice the article states that they will begin with the RV camp, which would likely suffice as having commenced the installation of the infrastructure, and building an RV camp wouldn't cost much out of pocket.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Thanks for makin' this so easy, Smiling Joe :D :clap:
My letter is sent! Also, btw, I do not know either of the parties mentioned above. For all I know their a$$es could be bring world peace, as someone on this board once suggested to me when speaking of seaturtles and beach vehicles.;-)It was only my opinion on the emotionally charged topic. Otay, buckwheat?

Last edited: