• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

incredible1

Beach Lover
May 7, 2007
I still don't understand why people celebrate St Patrick's Day three days before St Patrick's Day. I didn't even read this thread until today. I saw the Stinky's Fish Camp float go through Grayton yesterday, with a small sign which read, "Lake Place opening soon!" I thought that was a genius way to announce it, though my friend said it must be the St Patrick's Day parade float. Very strange that it is celebrated on the weekend rather than the St Patrick's Day. I don't do other holiday's on the weekend if the actual holiday falls on a weekday, and I am not about to start doing this one.

The 30aParade was started to support the local 30a businesses, give them a free way to promote their business and give residents and visitors a fun few hours to celebrate St Patricks Day.
St Patricks is is a date related event, this year, falling on a Tuesday.
While we would love to hold it on the actual St Patricks Day, no one wants to watch a parade with 3 floats in it, and most locals do have workweek jobs, schools which means taking a day off (not likely) or missing the parade.
Its first and foremost a "locals" event, so making it a success for locals is a priority, which is why the parade is on the weekend. Each year we have had very positive responses from the visitors who have been able to enjoy a locals event.
It was a delight to see the kids faces when they watched this year. THIS Parade was designed to be for everyone. Not a drunk fest. If someone wants to do that they can do it AFTER the parade in a suitable establishment.
If it ever did get to that level, I want nothing to do with it and it would be time to call it quits.

I am always disappointed and saddened when I hear that a local would make it a special point of not supporting a community event, 30a is all about inclusion not exclusion. The intent is to stimulate local business and entertain at the same time. I fail to see why thats not an honorable intention worthy of support
Hopefully one day you might change your mind.

The good news is that 2012 will have the date proper. Maybe you can find time then

For videos and photos of the parade
www.30aparade.com

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Apparently there is a Resolution 317 that would make St. Patrick's Day a Nat'l Holiday - and has over 500K signatures so far!

Amazing the things you can learn while watching the TV Guide channel to see what's on! :D