• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

admst34

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2006
OK this is going to sound like a dumb question to most, but I just found the board and have been reading about destin for our upcoming trip (first week of nov). I see that route 30 runs right behind the place we are staying in destin. My question is...is that the 30A you all talk about? We've been looking for some nightlife spots to go and everywhere talkes about 30A but I'mnot sure what road I'm to be looking for.

barefootguy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Some maps show hwy 98 as 30 through destin. If you head east of Destin on hwy 98/30 you will find 30A. I think it's about 8-10 miles east of the Destin Commons Mall. Both areas have a lot to explore, but I'd recommend getting out on 30A during your visit. Rent bikes from Big Daddy's and follow the trail along 30A.

admst34

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2006

I saw 30A on google maps a few minutes ago, it's east of where we are towards panama city. We're staying on the beach, from google maps it looks like the two major landmarks on either side of us are the Seascape Resort and the Emerald Bay Golf Club.

admst34

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2006
yeah I only see 30A east of destin a good bit, but 98 runs basically right behind the place we are staying in destin. Sounds like that is 30A in Destin?

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
yeah I only see 30A east of destin a good bit, but 98 runs basically right behind the place we are staying in destin. Sounds like that is 30A in Destin?

Inasmuch as 30-A runs along the Gulf in South Walton County, Old Route 98, the beach road, runs along the Gulf in Destin. As opposed to route 98 which is the main drag, the one that runs into PCB to the east.

bluemtnfriend

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2005
Tennessee
There is quite a bit of traffic on 30 A. If you want public beach access there are several off 30 A and also if you bear to the right on Blue Mtn road, right across from Sally's Convenience Store, there is public beach access on Blue Mtn. road. If you see me and a little black and white Jack Russell terrier, stop and say hello to "Minnie Pearl".

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Admst34-

I hope you have a really enjoyable visit. You've picked a fine time to come. The weather is usually (today excepted) really nice here in the fall.

Everyone is focusing on telling you how to get to 30A, so I wanted to be sure a different message gets told too...

30A and South Walton county are quite different from Destin, and all of us on SoWal.com who live or vacation here really like it a lot. Some of the differences:

-No high rises
-All "local" restaurants and bars, no chains
-Lodging primarily in beach houses, rather than hotels or high rises
-No traffic congestion to speak of, especially this time of year
-Beaches less crowded
-Much less "shop til you drop", more "down time at the beach"

You really should come over and explore for a day while you're here.

Have a look at www.beachesofsouthwalton.com. That's the web site for the South Walton Tourist Development Council. They have a nice travel guide available as PDF, but I'm sorry to say I can't find it on the web site just now. Maybe one of the other SoWallers can post a link.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Admst34

Since you are staying by Seascape - make sure you hit Whale's Tail (right in front of Seascape) for breakfast one morning and Pompano Joe's - about 1 mile west of Seascape for a few drinks - happy hour - and a great view. Also if you want some good gumbo - hit Kenny D's. It is about 1-1/2 west of Seascape. Miss Gracie is from New Orleans and makes the best gumbo. These are all off Old 98 - also called Scenic Gulf Drive.

There is so much to see and do in the area - Enjoy your stay.