• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
With all the storm related issues we have had to deal with, and prospects for more, I have been looking into the 3M plastic product that gets applied to windows which can significantly improve a windows ability to keep water out even after being broken. It also has UV protection ability, but my greatest interest is in the water and wind protection area. Our windows are only 6 months old and are the 130 mph standard.

Thought this product might be a good solution to reduce some of the stresses during hurricane season. With this product debris could hit the window and break it, but would not go through (subject to the strength of the frame)

Anyone have any experience with this product?

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
To be honest I cannot remember the brand, but they are a well known brand, aluminum clad, simulated divided light, double pane, low E, etc. I have been very happy with them.

No we had no water problems at all with the windows or doors.

I have spoken to NW FL Tinting, who offers the 3M product. My folks have it in their Naples FL house. About $8.50 sq ft. installed, which means a modest 24X48 window is $68 approx. :blink: We have a tower, and maybe it would be worth picking the high risk windows on the south and eastern side of the house and protect.

hutch

Beach Lover
For replacement and new installation try looking at Shwinco Windows, a local company that builds great windows. My windows are rated at 140MPH no leaks or breaks during Ivan and Dennis. You still need storm shutters due to fact they will break. I have not find any shutters for arch type windows. Roll ups would be nice but do not work on arch windows. If anyone has arch windows let me know what type of shutters you are using.

web site for shwinco
http://www.shwinco.com/

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Probably Pella, Weathershield, Lowen or something in that class. Most brands also have 2 or more grades.

With the window you described it would take a serious impact to break both panes. First find the manufacturer and talk to a dealer. Films will often void your glass warranty. And you will get some good info on your current rating. Many manufacturers now offer laminated glass. You might inquire about the cost of replacement sashes.

Most high-end windows have watermarks on the glass in one corner of each sash that will identify the date made, make, and model.

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
Hadn't thought about the existing window warrantee. Need to check on that. The windows we have being so new I am sure are pretty durable. I think it is 130 mph wind standard which is now required by the county. I just thought this product might help in the case of a direct hit by debris because it is a film that holds the window together.

Sounds like a good idea, at least.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Also with SDL, muntins on the outside are usually permanently applied, which means you would have to add little rectangles of film which wouln't be as effective as a sinlge sheet.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
hutch said:
For replacement and new installation try looking at Shwinco Windows, a local company that builds great windows. My windows are rated at 140MPH no leaks or breaks during Ivan and Dennis. You still need storm shutters due to fact they will break. I have not find any shutters for arch type windows. Roll ups would be nice but do not work on arch windows. If anyone has arch windows let me know what type of shutters you are using.

web site for shwinco
http://www.shwinco.com/

There is no accurate or helpful rating that uses only wind speed. Check out design pressure (DP) ratings which include several factors.

A design pressure rating is a measure of the amount of pressure a window or door is designed to withstand when closed and locked. Each DP rating also establishes other performance factors such as structural pressure, water penetration and air infiltration. The higher a DP number a window or door has, the better the performance. As a frame of reference: DP 40 means that a window or door is tested to 60 pounds per square foot equal to a 155 m.p.h. (250 km/hr) wind and must withstand water penetration under conditions equal to 8 inches (20cm) of rain per hour driven by 50 m.p.h. (80 km/hr) winds.

If your product is not installed properly, your DP rating will mean nothing if the window ends up in your living room.

Stick with the well-known wood window manufacturers if you can afford them, and make sure a rep helps advise with the installation.

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
kurt said:
Also with SDL, muntins on the outside are usually permanently applied, which means you would have to add little rectangles of film which wouln't be as effective as a sinlge sheet.

While our windows have permanent dividers on both the outside and inside, the film actually gets adhered on the inside. You are absolutely correct that with small panes the window strength will then rely more on the structure of the frame itself.

Our windows have no dividers on the bottom sash and just one verticle on top sash, so I still think there would be greater integrity with the film if other issues come out ok.

dgjohn

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2005
I would go with the Pella brand down here. They are all over Watercolor and Watersound. They have an excellent DEP rating and good reps down here that really pay attention to the customer.