• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
now is a great time to buy

And if you believe what NAR sez...so was 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and so too will be 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028...not too sure what they'll say after the Cat 6 hurricane of 2029 though--check back then, but I'll bet the farm in 2030 they'll say "Now is a great time to buy" as well.

Oh...and in 2060--for all those folks who are snapping up JOE shares on Monday at $20 a copy, then will be a "Great Time to Buy" also....but by then, most of us will be dead anyway.

Last edited:

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
And if you believe what NAR sez...so was 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and so too will be 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028...not too sure what they'll say after the Cat 6 hurricane of 2029 though--check back then, but I'll bet the farm in 2030 they'll say "Now is a great time to buy" as well.

Oh...and in 2060--for all those folks who are snapping up JOE shares on Monday at $20 a copy, then will be a "Great Time to Buy" also....but by then, most of us will be dead anyway.

?? Shelly, you're now starting to sound and type, like the investulators did in 2004, and in 2005.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'd just like to congratulate SHELLY for being the longest running troll on sowal.

It is always a great time for someone to sell or buy something. Individuals have to make that decision, they cannot blame anyone else on their decisions and motivations. If they do not do the research, and make careful thougthful decisions they have no one to blame but themselves. Not realtos, not some TV Star hawking goods, not their inlaws.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
shelly since you're the worlds greatest investor if you have a stock porfolio then please show us your 30% yearly returns. i'm sure much of your bittterness comes from getting killed in real estate or the stk mkt.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
shelly since you're the worlds greatest investor if you have a stock porfolio then please show us your 30% yearly returns. i'm sure much of your bittterness comes from getting killed in real estate or the stk mkt.

...bitter? Moi? Pragmatic, prudent, practical, perspicacious, punctilious--probably. Stock portfolio doing just fine this year (so far), thanks for asking.

Picked up many stocks for their great dividends after the crash at ridiculous bargain prices--names you would know include: McDonalds, CAT, Microsoft, Southern Company, Apple, Intel, Exxon, Coke, Altria, etc. a little GLD for a hedge and a high-yield corp bond fund. Ditched Pfizer that I got for dividends before they cut the dividend and took some money off the table in CAT, CLX, HNZ and the bond fund. (Note the absence of JOE, I don't short stocks--it's too time-consuming). I've also got some Total Market & Total International Mutual Funds for ballast. That's some of the portfolio--one that I'm comfortable with based on my age, risk tolerance and stead in life.

I think the market's a bit toppy given the high unemployment rate and some of these stocks are bumping their 52-week highs, but with the Fed adding some more money to the mix I expect we'll end the year on this high-note. Still got about 25% in cash, haven't added much in the last month or so, I'm waiting for the next pullback or flash-crash (I was actually onboard a cruise ship in the Pacific and watched on TV as the flash-crash happened (very exciting!)--otherwise I would have scooped up a few more shares that day).

Individual stocks SHOULD NOT be purchased by folks who:

don't have a 8-12 month emergency fund;
carry a monthly balance on their credit cards;
don't have adequate life/disability/medical insurance;
have high-interest car loans;
don't have a fully-funded 401K/ROTH IRAs in broad market index funds;
don't have at least a 5-year horizon for the invested cash;
and don't have a slush fund to use for fun vacations, experiences and adventures with their families each year.

Even with the most conservative, dividend-paying blue chips, the risk is too high if you have all that other stuff hanging over your head. The way I look at investing in stocks (or any investment vehicle), with all the above elements in place--and after doing due diligence--I simply ask myself, "Can I afford to lose all this money and still maintain my lifestyle?" If the answer is "yes," then I'll pull the trigger.

Each investment decision is personal based on one's age; responsibility to family & creditors; and the amount of risk one can take on and still sleep well at night. That's why I cringe when I hear a salesman (Realtors, Brokers, Car Salesmen) tell clients "Now is a great time to buy!!" How the hell can that be said (and really be true) when that salesperson knows absolutely nothing about client's financial standing and personal responsibilities.

I know when folks recommend stocks/investments on this message board they "assume" folks reading this stuff are of equal financial footing to themselves--I know for a fact that is not true. I've had numerous people ask me for financial advice that I could not provide in good faith without reviewing highly personal and sensitive financial information.

I do, however, like to challenge people who give investment advice be it stocks, commodities, MLMs or real estate. That way, readers can hear both sides of the argument; if it raises questions in their own minds or causes them to research the investment idea further my job is done.

...and, no, Ray--I didn't get killed in the RE market or the tech wreck. As a matter of fact, when all those around me were snapping up stocks during the dot-com era (and subsequently lost their shirts), I heeded the warnings of Warren Buffett and John Bogle who pointed out that these $350-per-share dot-com companies were nothing more than leased office spaces with a computer and foosball table bringing in $0 in profits--they warned, stay away at all costs...and I did...and they were right. When I saw the same type of bubble happening in RE, alarm bells went off (i.e., $250K for 500sf 1978-era studio apartments??? get real!!). So I watched the whole mess bubble up and collapse. Same song, different melody. I did own some rental RE in the 80s and sold it at a decent price, but then again, holding costs in Florida were laughable. Now my only RE holding is my private home, bought and paid for outright. Bitter? Not at all.

(Now, back to slinging hash at Waffle House--my break is over).

Last edited: