• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I save $2 per box of the cereals we eat and $2 per jar of peanut butter. We go through enough of both to save at least $30/month. And that is just the PB and cereal- there are other items that we use regularly that are shockingly cheaper at Walmart. I hate it, but it is true. So my grocery shopping is now split- I can't justify spending twice as much for the brands we use- I would rather spend that extra money saved eating out on 30A!

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
It depends. To me it doesn't make sense to buy anything but food at Publix. Things like detergents, soap, bandaids, pet food can be had for a lot less at Wal-mart. I tend to go to Wal-mart when I need to go to Home Depot for something anyway. I rarely go to Ace Hardware because they are not open on Sundays and they close early on Saturdays. Not very accomodating. I do actually enjoy shopping at Sam's Club and I wish there were one closer than FWB.

Last edited:

lerxst

Beach Fanatic
Jul 24, 2008
St. Joe cares only for what is good for St. Joe. If they cared for this community they would not have opened up so many developements at the same time that were way to big for the area. How about one at a time, let's see how it goes, and then maybe another one.

I know this should be a different thread but I just had to get it out. And I will answer your questions/statements now. I have not been hurt by St. Joe, but I do see so many other people that have.

Wal Mart and St. Joe are a lot alike. Just think about it.

I'm not defending nor promoting wal-mart but before we jump on the "condemn St. Joe bandwagon" and all other developers for that matter,

Was it not St. Joe that donated land and $$ for Sacred Heart Hospital along with investing in dollars in other community-centric and charitable projects throughout the whole region?? Prior to Sacred Heart Hospital, back in 1991 as my wife went into labor at 11:00 at night I remember the harrowing, nearly hour long drive to the hospital in Fort Walton Beach from Santa Rosa and wondered if I would have to pull over to deliver the baby myself.

St. Joe is not responsible for the real estate crisis, you and I are, through wild-eyed speculation, and the promise of quick returns and heavy leverage, we all wanted something for nothing and now want to blame free market capitalism and corporations,
enough!

Last edited:

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
so so so true. absolutely no need - at least for you and me. I have family and friends who drive into SoWal, check into their condo or house (or my house) and the first vacation activity is a half day trip to Destin Walmart to buy stuff. I have never understood and I shall never understand, but some folks (and I know and love several) thrive on the mere thought of going to Wallyworld to buy stuff.

I do not buy the "people who are budget conscious" argument. People absolutely do not have to go to Walmart in order to live within a budget. In fact, not going to Walmart will probably save the average Walmart shopper thousands per year.. not going to Walmart is a good step towards becoming a more thoughtful consumer. (no doubt there are those who do shop at walmart and buy only what they need, giving consideration to their budget and what they need v. what they want, as a thoughtful consumer. I just don't know very many of them. including myself whenever I venture into wallyworld once in a blue moon).

Probably showing my age, but I have to wonder out loud when American people stopped being thought of as people, or citizens, and began to be thought of -- and think of themselves as -- "consumers." I don't remember hearing us called consumers when I was a kid. When did that happen, anyone who was taking notes at the time?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Was it not St. Joe that donated land and $$ for Sacred Heart Hospital, South Walton High School
Yes to the land for the hospital, no to the land for the high school. All that land off 331 where the high school, the county annex, the library, etc are located was once part of the Pt Washington State Forest.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I save $2 per box of the cereals we eat and $2 per jar of peanut butter. We go through enough of both to save at least $30/month. And that is just the PB and cereal- there are other items that we use regularly that are shockingly cheaper at Walmart. I hate it, but it is true. So my grocery shopping is now split- I can't justify spending twice as much for the brands we use- I would rather spend that extra money saved eating out on 30A!

Oh, I shop at Walmart or Sam's Club here for many, many things that I can get cheaper than Kroger's or Publix. I am probably in Walmart 2 or 3 times a week because it is so convienent for me. However, when we get to SoWal for our weeks vacation, there is no way I am driving to PCB or Destin for anything. I value my beach time to much!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Oh, I shop at Walmart or Sam's Club here for many, many things that I can get cheaper than Kroger's or Publix. I am probably in Walmart 2 or 3 times a week because it is so convienent for me. However, when we get to SoWal for our weeks vacation, there is no way I am driving to PCB or Destin for anything. I value my beach time to much!

No kidding! Walmart is the last place I would go on vacation! I mean really- I am on vacation! Walmart is too much like real life!:lol:

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
I save $2 per box of the cereals we eat and $2 per jar of peanut butter. We go through enough of both to save at least $30/month. And that is just the PB and cereal- there are other items that we use regularly that are shockingly cheaper at Walmart.

Not to mention underwear and Wrangler jeans. Not that I love WM. I'm in Publix several times a week, and yes, shopping is a pleasure there. But I split my list between the two. WM has very little in organic choices, no almond milk, their produce is sub-par to Publix', and eating their seafood is akin to bungee jumping, risk-wise. But LS is right about WM being much cheaper on pet and cleaning supplies.

Yes to the land for the hospital, no to the land for the high school. All that land off 331 where the high school, the county annex, the library, etc are located was once part of the Pt Washington State Forest.

So does this mean that state forest land is not as protected as we think it is?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Is Wal-mart really that much cheaper?

I bet that when you factor in the additional time and gas (not to mention frustration), Publix 2 for 1s and coupons, comparing cost per units, and the fact that I plan meals in the store based on what is on sale, there isn't much of a difference - at least for my admittedly unique household.

And I am quite willing to pay a little bit extra (less than a glass of wine at many local restaurants) for a clean, friendly store, w/ staff that actually helps me and isn't a visual blight, so there is no choice at all for me.

Yes, I see the commercials, but since I am not a family of four who regularly eats breakfast at fast food establishments or someone who eats a lot of prepared food items, I don't think those savings apply to me.

Is Wal-mart really that much cheaper?

I bet that when you factor in the additional time and gas (not to mention frustration), Publix 2 for 1s and coupons, comparing cost per units, and the fact that I plan meals in the store based on what is on sale, there isn't much of a difference - at least for my admittedly unique household.

And I am quite willing to pay a little bit extra (less than a glass of wine at many local restaurants) for a clean, friendly store, w/ staff that actually helps me and isn't a visual blight, so there is no choice at all for me.

Yes, I see the commercials, but since I am not a family of four who regularly eats breakfast at fast food establishments or someone who eats a lot of prepared food items, I don't think those savings apply to me.

I definitely agree that smart shopping at Publix can really make a big difference. I grocery shop there almost exclusively for myself and my daughter. I take advantage of the buy one get one free sales and usually end up getting 40-60 dollars worth of groceries for free. Since I grocery shop every two weeks, that equates to about 960 to 1440 in savings a year. I also noticed that I am usually in a bad mood after I leave a walmart. Its not just the store, but I always seem to have rude people shopping around me and that bothers me...