• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
In January a Walmart spokesperson had told us that they were hoping to start construction in late 2010 or early 2011, and the store is supposed to take about a year to complete. She also said the store is going to be about 80,000 square feet, a lot smaller than their average store.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
What a funny coincidence that this thread was resurrected today. I read with great interest an article in this morning's Times Picayune about a blossoming niche business district in the shadows of the New Orleans lower garden district Wal Mart. It flies completely against the theory that Wal-Mart kills everything around it. I can't wait for our SOWAL Wal-Mart to open, and maybe a group of forward looking merchants can start a similar niche district here...or could simply continue to whine about Wal-Mart.:roll:
Going green on Magazine: eco-focused retailers creating a new Green Light District | NOLA.com

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm still convinced that the approval for the project was simply to make the site more appealing to a buyer since Joe owns the land.

Keep in mind the number of parcels recently changed to head off the possibility of Amendment 4 passing. All of the ones that had white signs in front of them were going for a higher density.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I'm still convinced that the approval for the project was simply to make the site more appealing to a buyer since Joe owns the land.

Keep in mind the number of parcels recently changed to head off the possibility of Amendment 4 passing. All of the ones that had white signs in front of them were going for a higher density.

What is Amendment 4? I keep seeing signs, but haven't heard anything about it yet.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
What is Amendment 4? I keep seeing signs, but haven't heard anything about it yet.
It is a really stupid amendment (as are many Florida amendments) calling for a vote of the people on any land use change. It takes the use of land use codes and zoning away from your elected officials and puts it directly in the hands of the uninformed, uneducated and easily manipulated. Its an unscrupulous developer's dream.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
It is a really stupid amendment (as are many Florida amendments) calling for a vote of the people on any land use change. It takes the use of land use codes and zoning away from your elected officials and puts it directly in the hands of the uninformed, uneducated and easily manipulated. Its an unscrupulous developer's dream.

Or alternately an honest developer's nightmare if the local NIMBY population gets out the pitchforks, even if a project would make good sense.

I'm going to be cynical and say it comes to whether you prefer the utterly corrupt (ie. so many Florida elected officials) or utterly clueless (ie. voters) and given the back door dealings that go on in the state with the back door developers *cough* Odom's curve in Destiny *cough* and while I'm going to vote NO on the proposal in the end, there's a certain temptation in seeing if the utterly clueless might do less harm than the utterly corrupt.

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
Either way, Amendment 4 will cost tax payers much money in the form of additional election materials. Imagine going to cast your vote, and the form has 100+ items on which to vote. Thanks, but no thanks.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
BM, I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from but I do not have the same contempt for all elected officials that you display. Regardless of what you may think, not all of them are scoundrels, though I agree we have more than our fair share. Just another reason why we need term limits. While I agree with what you say, there is no way, IMO, that this could be a productive, useful amendment. But, then, neither could the pig amendment. Florida voters, in their infinite wisdom, passed it....and they walk among us and vote.