• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Greyhound Pets of America-Emerald Coast has gotten involved along with a few other Greyhound agencies who find homes for these wonderful dogs. They are not closing any kennel until these dogs have been adopted and I can personally say they make wonderful pets. They are very low maintenance and loving dogs and that's why folks usually adopt more than one. We have two right now since we are dog sitting for friends who are out of state for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, I was also notified by a key member of GPA-Emerald Coast that there are kennels closing in Pensacola and Ebro also at this time. Just "google" Greyhound Pets of America-Emerald Coast and visit their website. Best thing we ever did!!! Also required reading is "Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies." Tells you everything you need to know.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am glad to hear folks are adopting the dogs, but a racing greyhound is NOT a "low maintenance" dog - they need a lot of exercise and care!!!

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Sorry Scooterbug but you are incorrect. They are low maintenance dogs and do NOT require a lot of care and exercise. Ask anyone who owns one or two. In fact, they are called "40 mile an hour couch potatoes" after retirement because they lay around most of the day and just enjoy life. They also make excellant apartment dogs and do not need a lot of space like you would expect. We have always owned dogs and Greyhounds are the easiest to care for by far! Of course they do have the same needs as any other dog but they are minimal and they are so loving and grateful for their new start in life. Another benefit is that they usually don't shed and have no doggie smell because they have almost no body fat. We are hooked and would have more than one but we already have two parrots as well so enough is enough.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Sorry Scooterbug but you are incorrect. They are low maintenance dogs and do NOT require a lot of care and exercise. Ask anyone who owns one or two. In fact, they are called "40 mile an hour couch potatoes" after retirement because they lay around most of the day and just enjoy life. They also make excellant apartment dogs and do not need a lot of space like you would expect. We have always owned dogs and Greyhounds are the easiest to care for by far! Of course they do have the same needs as any other dog but they are minimal and they are so loving and grateful for their new start in life. Another benefit is that they usually don't shed and have no doggie smell because they have almost no body fat. We are hooked and would have more than one but we already have two parrots as well so enough is enough.

I have to agree with you on this. My parents have rescued 3 Greyhounds and they were all couch potatoes. Such sweet dogs. Because of my parents they all lived long lives and they were very easy to care for. All they wanted was a warm bed and enough to eat and loving. I will rescue one some day when the two I have are gone.

ann hodnett

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2008
I wish it weren't true.
Glad to know, others have become Bonnie Hunt fans. She is great! I am trying to marry her off to my brother! They would make such a perfect couple. She, at this time, as not bitten. Oh well.
Miss you!
Ellie
I know this is a bit off track.

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach

I have to agree with you on this. My parents have rescued 3 Greyhounds and they were all couch potatoes. Such sweet dogs. Because of my parents they all lived long lives and they were very easy to care for. All they wanted was a warm bed and enough to eat and loving. I will rescue one some day when the two I have are gone.

Couch potatoes, yes. Low maintenance, no.

I don't think that any animal is truly low maintenance, not if they are receiving proper care. But greyhounds do have quite a few issues that can make care for them rather costly--lots of problems with teeth (my parents have a retired--not a rescue, mind you, she was a winner--greyhound, and actually just recently had to have two of her teeth removed), tails (they swing those things around like a whip and, very often, can hurt themselves on furniture) and toenails (they tear easily--if you've ever seen a greyhound's feet, they've got pretty big "fingers" and those long legs make them pretty clumsy in confined spaces).

Also, be wary of two-storied houses. It took my parents greyhound quite a while to figure out how to make it up and down the stairs, and it's kind of awkward when they're moving quickly. And finally, I'm just not so sure about your stating that they make great apartment dogs. I would think that this would be true only if you live near a bark park where you could turn them loose to run for a bit. While they may no longer make a living running on a track, they still like to get out for a jog on a regular basis, and most people aren't really in the kind of shape required to "jog" with a greyhound! :D

I think that they are fantastic dogs, and I am truly praying that every last one of them finds a loving, forever home. But, I've also seen the efforts that my parents have put into giving theirs that kind of home, and I would have to say it's not for everybody. I agree with those that have said to consider the breed before adopting. Just my .02. :wave:

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
Couch potatoes, yes. Low maintenance, no.

I don't think that any animal is truly low maintenance, not if they are receiving proper care. But greyhounds do have quite a few issues that can make care for them rather costly--lots of problems with teeth (my parents have a retired--not a rescue, mind you, she was a winner--greyhound, and actually just recently had to have two of her teeth removed), tails (they swing those things around like a whip and, very often, can hurt themselves on furniture) and toenails (they tear easily--if you've ever seen a greyhound's feet, they've got pretty big "fingers" and those long legs make them pretty clumsy in confined spaces).

Also, be wary of two-storied houses. It took my parents greyhound quite a while to figure out how to make it up and down the stairs, and it's kind of awkward when they're moving quickly. And finally, I'm just not so sure about your stating that they make great apartment dogs. I would think that this would be true only if you live near a bark park where you could turn them loose to run for a bit. While they may no longer make a living running on a track, they still like to get out for a jog on a regular basis, and most people aren't really in the kind of shape required to "jog" with a greyhound! :D

I think that they are fantastic dogs, and I am truly praying that every last one of them finds a loving, forever home. But, I've also seen the efforts that my parents have put into giving theirs that kind of home, and I would have to say it's not for everybody. I agree with those that have said to consider the breed before adopting. Just my .02. :wave:

my husband and i have owned our greyhound "snickers" for over 3 1/2 years, and she has been very low maintenance and an absolute joy. much more low maintenance than a regular breed. greyhounds barely shed, they do not get hip dysplasia like other large breeds, they have no smell, and despite what some may think, they do not need a lot of exercise. they make very good apartment dogs. we walk snickers 3 or 4 times a day, not because she needs it but because we enjoy walking her because she is so effortless to walk! it also makes for good exercise for us. you DO NOT have to jog with them..that is a myth. i would not own any other breed. i'm sure there are some greyhounds that are not as easy as snickers but i've met quite a few owners who have more than one so that tells you something. met one woman who owned 10!! as for their teeth, that can be a concern just like spaniels who get ear infections, skin diseases, etc. every breed of dog has some issues. all and all, greyhounds have few. so sorry to the sowaller who said they are not low maintenance. that couldn't be any further from the truth!!

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
my husband and i have owned our greyhound "snickers" for over 3 1/2 years, and she has been very low maintenance and an absolute joy. much more low maintenance than a regular breed. greyhounds barely shed, they do not get hip dysplasia like other large breeds, they have no smell, and despite what some may think, they do not need a lot of exercise. they make very good apartment dogs. we walk snickers 3 or 4 times a day, not because she needs it but because we enjoy walking her because she is so effortless to walk! it also makes for good exercise for us. you DO NOT have to jog with them..that is a myth. i would not own any other breed. i'm sure there are some greyhounds that are not as easy as snickers but i've met quite a few owners who have more than one so that tells you something. met one woman who owned 10!! as for their teeth, that can be a concern just like spaniels who get ear infections, skin diseases, etc. every breed of dog has some issues. all and all, greyhounds have few. so sorry to the sowaller who said they are not low maintenance. that couldn't be any further from the truth!!

So glad you posted this. Everyone I have ever met with Greyhounds echo your words about living and caring for them. I hardly ever see anyone with just one.

Thank you

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I guess I have just been around other greyhounds - who did amazing laps around the room and left welts on our legs w/ their whiplike tails in their excitement.

Gorgeous animals, but not exactly what I consider "low maintenence." Might be a word issue. Don't think they have any more health problems than any other pure bred and I am sure make many people great pets, just had the indelible image of that dog zooming around the living room.

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
The plight with these hounds unfortunately happens more than we know. I worked with Adopt-A-Greyhound in Atlanta for seven years. I worked adoptions in Ga. as well as taking many from Ebro to my condo in Seagrove. They had never seen steps or glass, but quickly learned the premise. On the ride back to Ga., it was if they knew something much better was ahead of them. These graceful dogs have a noted place in history and make wonderful companions and simply love to be loved. Yep, they will clear off your coffee table with a big wag so I recommend books...