• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
While everyone is always going to have a different experience I have to echo both SSB and JR's comments, they are both wonderful and unique. There is no "better" as they are completely different restaurants and foods that just happen to be under the classification BBQ.

Keep up the good work Scott.

lennonsdarlin

Beach Lover
May 13, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Jambones...WE LOVE!!!! (98 also. I'm not a conniseur of smoked goods so it all seems tasty to me. )Our group happens to be breakfast, lunch and dinner drinkers, soooo...The Bone seems to be the pick of the day...every other day!!!! Different friends come in from Destin and I'm finding myself eating bar-b-q 3 fricking times a week! Thank God it's (did not know this) ORGANIC PIG!!!???:dunno: I find somebuddy I know everytime I go alone. The bartenders are great, (we always sit at the bar) the guys are nice (they think we're perty) the girls are nice ( they think we're perty) and it's always a good time! OK, we did have one watery Bloody Mary! We didn't complain....one outta 500....I'll take dem odds! I also at times am on a wait crew, so I'm harsh with service people if they don't fill my needs or if there is even a hint of attitude. Truly, never had a problem with any of the staff...Always a good time and a welcomed addition to the hood!

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Both restaurants are great. I have to admit I had sort of forgotten about 98 BBQ until the basketball teams from SWHS went there to eat last week. Now ShallowsSquirt won't let me forget again. ;-)

Meanwhile, last time I had carryout from Jambones, I ate it for three different meals, and it was good each time. MY what a lot of great food.

Both are tremendous assets to Santa Rosa Beach, particularly among the restaurants on 98. :D

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
While everyone is always going to have a different experience I have to echo both SSB and JR's comments, they are both wonderful and unique. There is no "better" as they are completely different restaurants and foods that just happen to be under the classification BBQ.

Keep up the good work Scott.

I am in uncharted waters here as I find myself agreeing with you, SWGB. Don't fire back, I'm just kidding with you. For just a pork sandwich, I think 98 BBQ is far better. For everything else, I like Jambone's. I do find myself going to Jambone's more often than 98BBQ for whatever reason and hope they both stick around. Scott, I did deter an older couple from leaving Saturday because they got tired of waiting at the counter for the girl to emerge from the back. We chatted for a minute until she came out and took their order. I'm sure after a terrific meal, they will come back.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
you know, BBQ can be as controversial as politics and religion.

maybe the poster of this thread does not realize that there is an unwritten rule of respect for local businesses (its called common courtesy). If you like it and have a good experience to share - post it! If you don't like it and have had a bad experience - contact the business owner directly and keep it private. on the board, we like to keep it positive. a little constructive feedback is okay now and then..

this poster however was not even talking about his/her own experience in the restaurant - he was referring to words of some friends. even worse!

all I know is that from so many folks I've heard from, Jambone's has been received into this community with wide open arms. not to worry Scott.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
To elaborate - we have some specific ideas about postings about local businesses that you can see here - http://www.sowal.com/bb/announcements-business/2-sowal-forum-rules-general-info.html

I don't think the original poster's comments were that harsh. Not harsh enough to make Scott feel so bad. We want people to be able to post honest comments about businesses, as long as they aren't being too harsh or obviously trying to damage a business. We can all be good community members by following the golden rule.

Meanwhile, you can see that what has happened on this thread has happened before - a simple criticism brings out lots of supporters, which is certainly good for business.

Remember also that some customers can never be pleased, especially when they are hungry and cranky. I'm glad I don't have to serve them. ;-)

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Remember also that some customers can never be pleased, especially when they are hungry and cranky. I'm glad I don't have to serve them. ;-)

I am constantly amazed at how rude some people can be to wait or barstaff - and that they think it won't somehow come back to bite them in the arse/pocketbook. :roll:

Most service personnel take too much pride in their work to sabotage your food, but that doesn't mean your rudeness won't someday catch up with you.

Last edited:

6thGen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
Quick question, and given the sensitive nature of politics, religion and barbecue, I'll try to be delicate. Is the 98 Barbecue heat fueled by wood? Most of the stuff I've had at 98 barbecue tasted more like oven "barbecue" with Tony's seasoning. Still not bad, and I'd still eat there, but I prefer JamBone's, provided it's kosher to say that I prefer one over the other. Great service at both. Thanks and I'll hang up and listen.

bchtravlr

Beach Comber
May 28, 2006
I have taken the advise recommended and provided Scott with the specifics of the negatives I referred to in my original post, as I too don't believe that these details should to be aired on the board.

To reiterate the intent of the original message, I enjoy the quality of Jambones food, and plan to go back. I have taken multiple out of town guests to Jambones, and plan to continue in the future. The breadth of the menu and full bar is a critical element we need in Sowal especially after normal dining hours.

I will also continue to enjoy the old (and new to me) 98 BBQ, as it does offer a great alternative!