• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I attended the meeting on the 23rd and although I obviously misread how much the State monies would be. I noticed that year 4 and 5 saw a decrease in revenue which leads me to believe at some point a tax would be required. I was also a little concerned that .30 millage was all folks thought that would be enough over time. The interlocal agreement was concerning because there was nothing more than the presenters statement that the county would continue doing what they do. I appreciate the effort, but unfortunately I still have the same concerns.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I attended the meeting on the 23rd and although I obviously misread how much the State monies would be. I noticed that year 4 and 5 saw a decrease in revenue which leads me to believe at some point a tax would be required. I was also a little concerned that .30 millage was all folks thought that would be enough over time. The interlocal agreement was concerning because there was nothing more than the presenters statement that the county would continue doing what they do. I appreciate the effort, but unfortunately I still have the same concerns.

I share your concerns about the interlocal agreement and lack of anything of substance.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Thank you for posting this information. I was unable to attend because of work and was hoping someone could shed a bit of light on some of the questions I brought up in this thread. I still dont see anything that would change my mind about this being a bad deal. Seems like it will just turn into another level of government increasing the tax bill for everyone in order to fund what they feel is in the best interest of all.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I suppose my concerns are these. We pay a county tax but the county determines what projects are funded and when they are performed. The Sheriff will, I am sure continue to provide some level of law enforcement also, but he doesn't have to fund the current level. I just don't see the revenue being enough over the first five years with or without the tax to really put a new city on a firm foundation. I realize that the goal is limited services, and contracting for employees to save money. My biggest concern though is that you can't stop people from voting and spending money to elect a candidate. Personally, this election may be a litmus test depending on who wins the the districts in SoWal, although that could change in the future. In the end I do have to look to our west and see the issues and cost in Destin and that does give me pause. Many say ours won't be like that and we need a say but a lot would depend on those who are elected to attain that goal. Just my opinion.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Again, right on the nose with the funding by WCSO.

South End is understaffed as it is with his current budget.

We'd really see less with the current Incorporation plan.

Perhaps we need to look at a Public Safety Model and look at combining law enforcement, ems, fire.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Again, right on the nose with the funding by WCSO.

South End is understaffed as it is with his current budget.

We'd really see less with the current Incorporation plan.

Perhaps we need to look at a Public Safety Model and look at combining law enforcement, ems, fire.
Lol, not many places that has worked well or lasted after attempted. Currently Fire and EMS is combined.

Born&Bread

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2016
Santa rosa beach
Really guys. Let's work together to fix the issues. Paying more taxes and adding more government is crazy. We need to add another district on the South end. I can picture the people who would run for city council now. It would ruin this beach. We are ready to fight the good fight again, so bring it.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Really guys. Let's work together to fix the issues. Paying more taxes and adding more government is crazy. We need to add another district on the South end. I can picture the people who would run for city council now. It would ruin this beach. We are ready to fight the good fight again, so bring it.
SoWal needs to control its own destiny and protect our beaches.