• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Ok if incorporation ever happens see what small group will run the South end.
What small group do you think?

I think those Currently organizing the movement see themselves already in a council seat, which is one reason I'm very skeptical of it.

Born&Bread

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2016
Santa rosa beach
What small group do you think?

I think those Currently organizing the movement see themselves already in a council seat, which is one reason I'm very skeptical of it.
I dont want to get kicked off the forum. So I will not name names. Alot of the same people that are outspoken for Cindy Meadows are alot of the same people who will run.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Nothing wrong with talking about people who are involved in politics as long as it is respectful and constructive. Now that the trolls have left I'm sure that won't be a problem.

@John G having some people who are involved in the process to run for office is expected and encouraged.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Nothing wrong with talking about people who are involved in politics as long as it is respectful and constructive. Now that the trolls have left I'm sure that won't be a problem.

@John G having some people who are involved in the process to run for office is expected and encouraged.

You might Expect it and Encourage it, but I still have an issue with it. The current group organizing the effort is still way too far to one side for my comfort level. Do we really need 7 seats for a council or is that number just very convenient to those doing the organizing? A seat for all !

If they want to gather up more supporters, they need to expand their inner circle diversity. They also need to start to really define the Customary Use stance that they have. The simple "God made the beach for everyone", is not going to get any of the big money support from those that actually own (have deed) for their beach front. If there was some discussion and compromise,they may have a chance.

Just my opinion.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
They do have some good leadership.

Look at Pebble Ramswell. She's a fighter and stands up to good ole boys...

Maybe the appeal for incorporation is that someone around here will do the same?

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Millions in debt. Have you drove down 98? After years there just now putting in crosswalks.
Many times. But I try to avoid driving down 98 through that area when I can. It's awful.

What I meant was, what bad decisions were made that lead to Destin being the way it is?

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Just curious, Lars. Can you educate us about what went wrong with Destin?
From earlier in this thread:

Destin got incorporated to manage growth. All they did was manage to build a bureaucracy and build a bunch of buildings for the bureaucracy to work in.

Destin FUBAR'd so bad it's not funny.

Example #1:
Much of the catalyst for incorporation was the harbor front Yacht Club building that Mr. Bos built. "We don't want the county approving such buildings in our town"
Couple decades after incorporation...Mr. Bos gets approval to build TWO buildings on the harbor. (Approval actually consists of 4 or 5 buildings)

Example #2:
Destin refused ownership of old 98 through Crystal Beach and Silver Beach. Citing the newly formed city couldn't afford the maintenance.
So the county approved the Crab Trab land lease at James Lee park. The largest beachfront public property in the "city"
The county also approved the relocation of the roadway "Odom's Curve".

Example #3:
The Kelly family, Mattie Kelly, was successful in carving out the Kelly property from city annexation. That's nearly everything from Indian Bayou to the county line, north of Hwy. 98.
All that development not in the city's jurisdiction. All that tax base not in the city's jurisdiction.

As I see it.
The City of Destin hadn't managed anything except manage to grow government.

Sadly, the same will happen to South Walton. You can bet on it.