• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Different Mexican

Cancuns was in that beautiful building "now it's a home" across the street from The Red Bar that leads down to the beach. It had that beautiful bar overlooking the Gulf and lake. But, if you sat down the windows were too high to see the view. Amy, Maggie worked there and didn't Justin chef there too? 1990.....time flys
I remember Cancuns' well. What a strange building for a restaurant. It did make a nice house! But the place I was refering to was actually in the current Red Bar. They even painted the place dark green when they opened. Did not last long... The building was also Aladins' Paradise for a short while. Egyptian fellow named Hanie had it. I tended bar for him on the coldest New Years Eve ever- ther was no heat and a few broken windows! If those wall could talk!

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I remember Cancuns' well. What a strange building for a restaurant. It did make a nice house! But the place I was refering to was actually in the current Red Bar. They even painted the place dark green when they opened. Did not last long... The building was also Aladins' Paradise for a short while. Egyptian fellow named Hanie had it. I tended bar for him on the coldest New Years Eve ever- ther was no heat and a few broken windows! If those wall could talk!

So true Amy! Those walls could talk forever! Do you remember when it was Bay Cafe, Oli was chef and Rebecca bartender. Pierre from his French Cafe (right under the bridge in Fort Walton Beach) was trying to make a go at it. Rebecca hired me as hostess....I lasted 1-2 weeks. That was before Doug and I were married and he, Jack, Paul, and Nicki used to run over after they closed The Grayton Corner Cafe around midnight. Actually almost everyone working on 30A in restaurants with the locals all congregated in the bar. Oli needs to get on and tell his stories about those early years after Paradise Cafe and before The Red Bar. Grayton beach was such a different place back then. I loved the winters that we all helped each other get through.

:love::clap:Gosh I almost forgot.......PATRONES!!!!! Located "In the Heart of Grayton" That's where I had my first "Dessert Shop" Okay....someone needs to come on and tell all about Patrone's. That is a book in itself! Gene, B.J., Art, animals, "Crab", snowcones, hamburgers, beer, t-shirts, canoes on the lake, those dang roosters, Gene's parties all the time out on the covered deck over the lake, ahhhhhh just too many memories....:blush: Okay I'm finished!!!!:roll:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
WOW, LaBleu's, now there's a blast from the past! My first grounded memory of S. Walton Co.. Around 1988, 2 years prior to my moving to Walton Co., out for a sunday drive and stopping at LaBleu's for lunch. I remember thinking "Now here's a restaurant out in the middle of nowhere" and "m r some dusty caps stapled to the ceiling". Now, when I drive by, I can't even visualize exactly where the building stood.
Also, what was the bar and grill in front of One Seagrove Place, that was torn down in the early 90's.( Has that already been mentioned?)

P.S. I make beautiful slipcovers and all other home fashions

The Island Grill and Bar was next to One Seagrove Place, owned by Greg France. CLosed in 91' I think. Now that is a blast from the past!!!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I don't want his head ANY bigger, but kudos to swgb for this thread. :clap:

I am loving all the historians chiming in! Keep it up! :wave:

Pics would be nice, too!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
This whole thread has made me think of so many memories...

Oh, and LeBleau's was actually ShallowFuzz's favorite place. In fact, it was just about his only source of nourishment before I came along. "Code D" as it was known at the South Walton dispatch for the Sheriff's Office. We had our rehearsal dinner there. Been a long time.

The "original" Donut Hole II was "Code G." ;-)

I like the days we have now, but I sure miss the old ones.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
The Island Grill and Bar was next to One Seagrove Place, owned by Greg France. CLosed in 91' I think. Now that is a blast from the past!!!

Wow! That is a blast from the past. Anyone remember Emory from the wheelhouse location. I had my first restaurant job there washing dishes. 8 hours and 15 dollars later i never went back. And then in the same location, Docs? This thread brings back lots of memories.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I moved to South Walton in 1992 and opened Lazy Daze Cafe with Theresa Barrett. It was an interesting time. WE had six tables and no employees. 30-A was sleepy. We fought hard to make a buck. After selling to Sandor in 94, Jeff Lane and I opened Indigo Wine Bar. The Beach began to pick up and the summer of 95 was pretty magical with Red Bar and us just opening. Great memories.

I miss Ernie's burgers at Village Market, having a glass of wine with Al at Angelinas, Ollie making him & I late night pasta at the Red bar after close, the house I rented at 675 Eden, coffee at Hisbiscus, the swwet sound of Mrs. Modica's voice every morning as I fetched my coffee, and brunch at Bloom's Cafe. Scott Alderson who owns Jambone, is still my dearest friend,and I hope to visit in April. Maybe we can have an Indigo Wine Bar reunion!

Kevin Boehm
Chicago, Illinois

Long time Kevin! Hope you are well. I still surf every once in awhile with Jeff. Next time I visit Rockford I will come see you. I remember one crazy night at Indigo with my bro, Marsha, and Bev:yikes:. Look us up when you get in town. Maybe we could all meet at Jambones.
Take Care,
Bobby Johnson

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Capo's was short-lived. It was just a cool hang-out bar before that, but the name escapes me. Diamond Jim's was quite a place. I remember giving Scott Wykowski a piece of my mind about how B& A's could charge a dollar more a beer than Greg France did, when they got the stuff from the same distributor.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach

:clap: I do remember this place sgg.

Do you remember the bar, Wisteria....in what was once called the "brickyard" in Blue Mountain? Played darts there! :blink: I think it changed the name though. :dunno:

And, there was another one in that little house by Butler School (east side) in with the big Pine tree growing through the porch. And, later it was an ice cream shop and antiques?

OMG :funn: sounds like we did nothing but go to bars. :yikes: