• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ladybug8876

leslie lou
Mar 20, 2005
Paducah, Ky
I know it would benefit me. If all goes well I'm planning to move down to Sowal in August and a garage apartment or something in that genre would be great. I'm glad you brought this up because I had know idea about these property laws. It's good info to know for when I start seriously looking for a place to live.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
We call them servants quarters. If you look around at the jobs available, most are low wage. The Tom Thumb is probably the best wage with benefits. Affordable housing delema? Provide better jobs with better salaries that compete with the national standard. Got plenty of construction, housekeeper, restaurant worker, resort worker positions, bring in something else that provides a better way of life to be able to afford the "low income housing"!

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
florida girl said:
We call them servants quarters. If you look around at the jobs available, most are low wage. The Tom Thumb is probably the best wage with benefits. Affordable housing delema? Provide better jobs with better salaries that compete with the national standard. Got plenty of construction, housekeeper, restaurant worker, resort worker positions, bring in something else that provides a better way of life to be able to afford the "low income housing"!

"Better jobs and better salaries" are NEVER going to happen in the 30A/SoWal corridor. There are the "Serviced" and and "Servers" with a very small population of upper to middle class of go-betweens (real estate, business owners, etc.). Don't hold your breath waiting for Boeing to open a plant on 30A...think more Tom Thumbs.

Then again....there's this:
"The firm calls its arrow-carriers "human directionals" and uses mostly college students, who earn $10 to $12 an hour. "We pay them well, especially compared to McDonald's," he said."
Selling Condos in South Florida

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
florida girl said:

I moved to south Walton shortly after graduating college and lived in a modest "servants quarter" for a few years. In that time I put down roots and was able to establish myself here.

I strongly believe in working to make this, or any community, a better place to live. Please have more respect for those who are willing to offer practical solutions to problems.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I definitely support affordable housing.

Even though it's very limited in the area, for some of the jobs (e.g., waiters and waitresses), I think creative young adults who want to work here will figure out how to do it. If young people/students are looking for summer work in particular, there are places that several students could share while earning an income (especially if they work in restaurants where people leave reasonable tips -- we always tip 20% unless the server is really ornery or ignores us which is rare), even in the summer when rates are high. Many young people share apartments, so if they have to do that in SoWal, there's no need to feel bad about that (I shared an apartment as a young adult, as did many of my friends). Many rentals don't rent to people under 25, but I know there are some places in Panama City Beach West that are reasonable, nice, and could be shared by 2-3, even 4 people at an affordable rate, even in the summer. It would be good for the people who own the rental, good for the young people sharing, good for the businesses, and good for the people who come to SoWal. With all the construction, there's going to be no shortage of rentals, at least not in the short term or medium term.

I think it will be hardest for young families where there may be only one breadwinner. Even then, some will figure it out.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
twt512 said:
I moved to south Walton shortly after graduating college and lived in a modest "servants quarter" for a few years. In that time I put down roots and was able to establish myself here.

I strongly believe in working to make this, or any community, a better place to live. Please have more respect for those who are willing to offer practical solutions to problems.

I've actually tried addressing this issue more times than the law allows over the past couple years...but I've hit a brick wall at every turn. Over the last 3 years it's become increasing more difficult to be heard above the din of the 'many' (not all) developers rushing to make BIG money--REAL quick and "get out of Dodge" (environment, citizens and infrastructure be damned!)

You'd be absolutely right if you sensed that this is a hot-button issue for me--I am more than a bit jaded on this subject. But the same comments can and should be directed to the "powers that be" and the developers who love them.

If I may ask: What year did you arrive in South Walton, what was your pay and what percentage of your wages went to paying for your "servant's quarters?" Over the last couple of years housing costs in the area have sky-rocketed, whereas wages have stagnated (when adjusted for inflation).

As for having groups of young teens and 20-somethings sharing condos at PCB, Destin and SoWal? Somehow I think that would be a stretch--since the majority of available units switched hands in the last two years and the new owners "invested" the likes of $300,000 and up for 720sf studios.

Over-development (not to mention the hurricanes), in the panhandle in the last two years, has turned our economy on its ear. The "powers that be" believe the best thing to do is to make money while they can and pass the problems on to whomever wins the next election. It's not easy to fix a freight train in motion--looks like we have to wait until it jumps the tracks.

In the meantime, the area young people who are willing and able to work (and have living arrangement available) should request...nay...DEMAND...higher wages for their services in the South Walton or Destin area.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
SHELLY said:
I've actually tried addressing this issue more times than the law allows over the past couple years...but I've hit a brick wall at every turn. Over the last 3 years it's become increasing more difficult to be heard above the din of the 'many' (not all) developers rushing to make BIG money--REAL quick and "get out of Dodge" (environment, citizens and infrastructure be damned!)

You'd be absolutely right if you sensed that this is a hot-button issue for me--I am more than a bit jaded on this subject. But the same comments can and should be directed to the "powers that be" and the developers who love them.

Over-development (not to mention the hurricanes), in the panhandle in the last two years, has turned our economy on its ear. The "powers that be" believe the best thing to do is to make money while they can and pass the problems on to whomever wins the next election. It's not easy to fix a freight train in motion--looks like we have to wait until it jumps the tracks.

No Shelly, you haven't 'addressed' the issue- you've whinned about it ad nauseum. Beyond admonishing the 'powers that be' (none of which appear to be on this message board) and cheering excitedly for the "oncoming train wreck" (which I guess will prove the brilliance of your insights) I have yet to hear of any practical solutions. And yes now you've found my hot-button issue: talk is cheap.

Now, does anyone have any comments regarding the proposal to change the county regulations on accessory apartements? Would anyone oppose this idea if it went before the county commissioners? Comments on THIS SUBJECT would be appreciated.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
TWT, I am all for it, and in fact, have thought about building one on my property. I could not afford to build it and make money on it by renting it, but I believe the affordable rent could make it a break even proposition while helping another person, and adding a little excitement to my life. I am readying to build a new home in the near future, but will probably hold off on the Carriage House for maybe another year. If money were not an issue, I would do build it today.

Truly, having a long term renter's "servants quarters" could be handy for those who needed a cleaning person, ie- servant, to clean between guests and owners' visits in exchange for rent. You could also have this person maintain a garden on the property, or stock your groceries for the arrival, check in renters to the main house, etc. Why people would rather pay more to a rental management company than having a reliable tenant take care of things is beyond me.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
twt512 said:
No Shelly, you haven't 'addressed' the issue- you've whinned about it ad nauseum. Beyond admonishing the 'powers that be' (none of which appear to be on this message board) and cheering excitedly for the "oncoming train wreck" (which I guess will prove the brilliance of your insights) I have yet to hear of any practical solutions. And yes now you've found my hot-button issue: talk is cheap.

Now, does anyone have any comments regarding the proposal to change the county regulations on accessory apartements? Would anyone oppose this idea if it went before the county commissioners? Comments on THIS SUBJECT would be appreciated.

If I may pipe in too I think this is an excellent idea and you are to be commended on thinking of a solution that has merit and possibly a good chance at passing at the County if the interest is perceived as real and immediate (which IMO it is). I actually do not know what is required to overturn such a regulation. Is it a majority of votes?

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
TWT I think it as good idea and I will write my commish about it. I'll bet though that apt.s south of 98 will become short term rentals if people can get away with it. Maybe an incentive for long term rentals is what we need.