• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
24 feet long? :yikes: Please tell me that you mistyped that, or that you were watching that crazy movie with Oliver Platt. (Or was that a crocodile?) :dunno:

A crocodile...and a very bad movie.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
24 feet long? :yikes: Please tell me that you mistyped that, or that you were watching that crazy movie with Oliver Platt. (Or was that a crocodile?) :dunno:

no typo, but perhaps an exageration on someone's part:yikes:, since gators don't grow that large. The largest ones grow to around 13-15ft in length.
Much like the human body has wierd mirroring measurements, so does the gator. A good one to remember for gators, since you cannot see most of the body of a gator in the water, is that the distance, in inches, from the eyes to the end of the snout, (usually the only visible parts if the gator is in the water) equates to the total length of the gator in feet.

;-)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
no typo, but perhaps an exageration on someone's part:yikes:, since gators don't grow that large. The largest ones grow to around 13-15ft in length.
Much like the human body has wierd mirroring measurements, so does the gator. A good one to remember for gators, since you cannot see most of the body of a gator in the water, is that the distance, in inches, from the eyes to the end of the snout, (usually the only visible parts if the gator is in the water) equates to the total length of the gator in feet.

;-)

His head, eyes to end of snout, was as long as a regular size skateboard. Two people standing with me saw it too and we all came to the same conclusion on size!

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Much like the human body has wierd mirroring measurements, so does the gator.

So let's hear about those wierd mirroring measurements on humans. (All I know is "Big hands, big feet...:eek:
...big gloves, big shoes.":blush:)

Heck, they're talking about an alligator in the 'Hooch in Atlanta. I remember having to cross the street while walking to class on the UF campus to avoid a gator sunning him/herself on the sidewalk near one of the ponds on campus.

We gators are everywhere. THE GATOR NATION!
gatorSmiley.gif

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
So let's hear about those wierd mirroring measurements on humans. (All I know is "Big hands, big feet...:eek:
...big gloves, big shoes.":blush:)
Maybe "interesting" would be a better adjective than wierd in this case. You could probably Google "phi 1.618 Da Vinci human," but without the quotes, and find some reading material which gives you ample examples.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Hey, I taught a class on that topic recently. Are you googling me? :rotfl:
Every good math teacher should be teaching about phi. There are many examples of phi in nature as well as (hu)man-made things which we use daily. I just thought about paper sizes, and realize that Ledger size (11"x17") paper and 3"x5" photo paper, are based on phi.

Last edited:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Every good math teacher should be teaching about phi. There are many examples of phi in nature as well as (hu)man-made things which we use daily. I just thought about paper sizes, and realize that Ledger size (11"x17") paper and 3"x5" photo paper, are based on phi.

Golden mean. Applies to art (music as well as visual) and anatomy, correlates with pi...

My primary goal is not so much to learn something useful as to be a smart-aleck. Hop did warn y'all about me in his introduction. ;-)

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
Golden mean. Applies to art (music as well as visual) and anatomy, correlates with pi...

My primary goal is not so much to learn something useful as to be a smart-aleck. Hop did warn y'all about me in his introduction. ;-)

no, i said "smart a$$"...