• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SlowMovin said:
The water will NOT be cold. Water temps will probably be in the low- to mid-70s, air temps in the mid- to high-80s.
I think the current water temp of the Gulf is in the low 70's F. The Lakes are even warmer, somewhere around 76F.

I am in Western Lake all the time. You should be more concerned with septic leakage after hard rains than with alligators if you are a grown man. Sharks have been recently spotted around Grayton Beach, but that is very normal, most people just don't notice them. You are more likely to experience death from the Sun causing skin cancer from being here on vacation than you are to be bitten by a shark.

The easiest fishing in the Gulf consist of wading out to toss your Pompano rig, then walking back on shore to wait and relax. ;-) Depending on the roughness of the surf, you should use a 1 ounce (oz) weight on calm days, and a 3 oz weight on rougher days. If you get tired of fishing at the beach, you can go back to the Bay and fish for Redfish, Sheepshead and Trout, all of which are yummy. Live or dead shrimp work best and some people have success using Squid.

Good Luck!

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Good info slow moving! The last time I was at the Grayton Market they were selling frozen sand fleas which have worked fine for us and the pompano did not seem to mind that they were frozen. Also wanted to add that if you are wading into the gulf please don't enter the water at sunrise or sundown. The sharks are feeding at these times. Have a great trip and :welcome:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
jdarg said:
Where is Aquaticbiology when we need him???:dunno: Yoo hoo!

here - working

i don't know much about fishing from the bank, but here's a few items

gator (aliigator) -
180px-Alligatoracp.jpg

on florida pompano rigs - http://floridasurffishing.net/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=100&topic_id=22543&mode=full

on florida surf fishing - http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/2615/photos.html

enjoy

catweazl_2000

Beach Comber
Apr 24, 2006
Amsterdam
Once more thank you forum folks, I am amazed to find this good help with such late notice.

Slow movin,
Nice to know I won't be cold. If the water is that warm I'll be happy to be cooling down and fishing at the same time. :clap_1: Compared to the stagnated spring we have here(high 50 low 40s it is going to feel like being in the tropics. Apparently Florida aveage wheather is called heatwave over here ... :roll: I am looking forward to arrive at the beach on monday :rotfl:

Aquaticbiology,
Thank you too.
Very interesting is the fact that through your links I found a site( the wannadoo thing) that is Dutch and shows fishing is quite the same over the world but what the fish eats is different. I can just use the same paternoster rigs I make for fishing here. fish get hooked if you know what they want for supper, as long as they don't know what I want for tea. At Greyton beach the Dutch seaworms are sandflees.
How big are sandfleas actually? In the U.K. I have seen something like it and those didn't exeed over half an inch??? The pic with hook from SlowMovin makes them look like they are bigger then a whole inch!!!

Further on, the top ten things to do-list is very usefull too!!! :clap_1:
I'll be packing tomorrow. Thanks all for answers, I'll check out this site once/twice more tomorrow, And maybe we'll meet at the waterside.
I am pretty sure that I am going to be smiling so long and so bright I'll be having muscle ache in my face.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
There is a tackle shop in Grayton Corners market where you can get pompano rigs along with bait, hooks, line, rods, reels, etc. You might even be able to rent gear here and not have to lug it on the plane.

catweazl_2000

Beach Comber
Apr 24, 2006
Amsterdam
Oh, and in case you guys wonder whatever happened to the catweazl guy, I'll report as soon as I am back home. There is not going to be any pc's around at the camping. Maybe I'll even manage to make some pic's.
For the lovers of another spiecies of fish you guys propably don't catch yust click this link;

http://fotoalbum.roofvisforum.nl/index.php?p=bekijkalbum&user_id=400

or, if that doesn't work copy/paste in browser.
Greetings,
Henk

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Have a fantastic trip Henk! Make sure you get a SoWal.com sticker while you are there! Or maybe you will wake up and find one stuck to your tent.:clap_1:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
jdarg said:
Have a fantastic trip Henk! Make sure you get a SoWal.com sticker while you are there! Or maybe you will wake up and find one stuck to your tent.:clap_1:

Oh yeah....that's what I am talking about...a sowalled tent!!!

Henk...you are a great addition to the sowal family!!! And yes...you will be smiling the whole time you are here!!!! :D

catweazl_2000

Beach Comber
Apr 24, 2006
Amsterdam
Hi there,
I am back!!
Very sad that I had to leave the beach. I had a wonderfull time at Grayton beach and am already dreaming of going back..
I am so in love with your beaches....
Good things are that I know now how good pompano?s taste when brought fresh from the beach and grilled straight away on a bbq. The best fish I ever ate!!!!
Apart from that lucky catch,
I caught a redfish!!!
On a morning a friend who had been snorkling told me that there was no fish around in the shallow waters. Since I was there with a long fishingpole I decided to get out in the water and give a good far cast . the line was out for at least 170 yards. for a long time nothing happened, Apart for me and my son where playing in the surf.
A little later i was just back in the shade the rod suddenly bent in a tense 90%. I pick it up and see the 10 pound line running of the spool. I then have to stop it because there is hardly no line left on my spool. I hold, walk into the water to give me some play. 5 minutes later i have fought back about 50 yards of line. Then the fish runs again. I feel hopeless. for the second time the fish gives up right at the moment I run out of line. then i fight it with a bit more ease and 15 minutes later see the fish in the surf . When I land it I don?t know what sort of fish it is. One thing is sure, it looks good to eat. Then someone out of the crowd of about 20 people that gathered when I was fighting the fish tels me it is a redfish, to big to keep. That stuns me. TO BIG TO EAT??????
I never heard of such a thing. I then quickly mesure the fish and tel him it is 35 inch long. The man ensures me you have to release redfish when they are longer then 28 inch.Otherwise I?ll run a risk on a 1500$ fine. That convinces me, I am happy for the fish and let it go with good feelings. the release of a big fighter is a nice reward. Later I can?t help but thing of how it would have tasted. Later we try to buy some but we can?t find it in any of the fishmarkets we visit.
1-0 for the redfish.
I run out of time to tell more, a foto has been made, the lady who took it promised to sent it to me, If i get it I?ll do my best to post it.
See you later,
Henk

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Congratulations on your catch and trip.

Yesterday, I saw some photos of a recent catch from the east end of Grayton Beach -- Two sharks!!! One was only about 4' long and the other was 7'-8' long and weighed a bit over 200 #. The larger one was pregnant and had about 10 pups in the belly.

:shock: