Architect

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Scooter, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Scooter

Scooter Beach Fanatic

Where can I find a good architect that won't cost me $20,000? I'm interested in West Indies/French Quarter style with a small carriage house. I love Eric Watson, Whorter, and a few others but can't afford them. Any suggestions? :dunno:

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

If you don't want to spend the money for a custom design, find plans which are not one-of-a-kind, and you will be able to get them relatively cheap, and most can be tweaked for a nominal upcharge. My suggestion is to start by asking those architects whom you already like. Perhaps they already have a design which might work for you, at a reduced cost.

3. kkddbb

kkddbb Banned

understand that architects not only design the home, they have alot to do with the construction of it. just saying...

call ed rolan (850)814-2642. he's a great friend, great architect and is giving great deals right about now....not enough work out there for everyone.

4. Scooter

Scooter Beach Fanatic

Thanks SJ - I'll do that.

5. Garner

Garner Beach Fanatic

Many neighborhood associations here require architectural plans for the homes so the idea of tweeking pre-designed plans may not work.

6. Camellia

Camellia Beach Fanatic

In addition, the site is a primary consideration in the design of a building, and choosing a stock plan, making decisions isolated from the site conditions, does not produce the most satisfying
    design solution. A good architect can save you a lot of money by creating a design that fits your needs explicitly. My two cents.

7. Susan Vallee

Susan Vallee Beach Lover

Call Tony!

Hey,

My sweet hubby is great (in my incredibly-biased opinion)! His most recent finished project is the EO Wilson Biophilia Center at Nokuse Plantation in Freeport.

You can see some of his work at www.pvandr.com or www.anthonyvallee.com.

Anthony Vallee
    850-532-3951

He'd love to see how he can help you.

8. kitemare1

kitemare1 Beach Comber

Designer

You can search on SoWal for "Modern Housing". This thread has a couple of residential images. We are able to do more traditional designs as well. Is your site within any development with an Architectural Review Board? Thanks. Ed

9. austin101

austin101 Beach Comber

I highly recommend Matthew Savoie if you're interested in West Indies/French Quarter style. Check out www.mcsavoie.com and his phone number is 850.622.0057.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  10. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Scooter - the reason the architects you mention cost that much is because they are highly trained, do a good job, and spend a lot of time on your project - it's a definite case of "you get what you pay for".

Since you seem to have some favorite local architects, maybe you could approach them about a reuse of one of their previous designs - it is usually cheaper than a fully custom design.

Hiring the cheapest architect you can find or an unlicensed draftsman is like getting the cheapest doctor or a med student to perform surgery on you - the money you save isn't worth it and there's a reason why there are rules against it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  11. Scooter

Scooter Beach Fanatic

Thanks so much for all your replies. I've loved Eric Watson from day one. I've contacted him and he is more affordable than I originally thought. Hopefully, we will be working together soon.:clap:

12. Teresa Cline

Teresa Cline Beach Fanatic

www.cfhdesignstudio.com.
    Chandra Hartman....excellent designs!

13. ellen

ellen Beach Lover

14. LJ123

LJ123 Beach Lover

Another suggestion

Hi Scooter,
    If Eric doesn't work out, talk with Doman Bock Architects LLC
    Ron Doman and Doug Bock are from Louisiana, live here now, with many plans that fit your West Indies/ French Quarter design requirement. They designed many homes and commercial bldgs in Rosemary Beach, check out their portfolio at: www.domanbock.com/portfolio . They are the Town Architects for Draper Lake Coastal Village where their office is in the Sales Center. We are intersted, as a builder, in building some of their plans in Draper Lake and other communitis aong 30A etc.

David W. Thomas Homes, LLC would like to build your home for you!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  15. Beachbummett

Beachbummett SoWal Insider

There are many wonderful architect in Sowal, but I love Ron Domin, his website is:

http://www.dominbock.com/

I have never worked with anyone that was so dedicated and easy going, he will do whatever it takes.

Tell him BB sent you! :wave:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  16. LJ123

LJ123 Beach Lover

My sentiments exactly

Hi BB
    I just suggested Ron and Doug to Scooter, they really are outstanding, its great for Scooter to hear from a homeowners perspective as well as a builder!

17. Scooter

Scooter Beach Fanatic

I also love Domin Bock. Been in a few of their houses. I will definitely talk with them also before making a decision. Thanks again for all your help!!!!! Who Dat!!!!!!!

18. melscuba

melscuba Beach Lover

WOW! Their work is beautiful. The residents of SoWal are truly blessed to have such stunning architecture compliment one of the most beautiful natural environments in the U.S.!

19. LJ123

LJ123 Beach Lover

Exceptional Architects

Hi Scooter,
    Please allow us to take a look at your home plans and bid on building your home!

David W. Thomas Homes, LLC
    ffimg1@aol.com
    850-774-1359

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  20. yippie

yippie Beach Fanatic

Try Darrell Russell. He use to be with Looney Ricks and Kiss, but recently opened his own firm, A Boheme Design. Here's their link:

Home Page

I have worked with Darrell Before and been very happy.

Also, I am now building a new house and HIGHLY recommend Harvey Gersham, GCCI, as a contractor. Here's his link:

GCCI

Working with Harvey has been an unbelievable experience. He goes way overboard and does not cut corners, does not build to MNIMUM codes, he knows construction like no one I have ever seen.

All his subs have been wonderful and he has made building a house, a great experience.