• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
Where can I find a good architect that won't cost me $20,000? I'm interested in West Indies/French Quarter style with a small carriage house. I love Eric Watson, Whorter, and a few others but can't afford them. Any suggestions? :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If you don't want to spend the money for a custom design, find plans which are not one-of-a-kind, and you will be able to get them relatively cheap, and most can be tweaked for a nominal upcharge. My suggestion is to start by asking those architects whom you already like. Perhaps they already have a design which might work for you, at a reduced cost.

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
understand that architects not only design the home, they have alot to do with the construction of it. just saying...

call ed rolan (850)814-2642. he's a great friend, great architect and is giving great deals right about now....not enough work out there for everyone.

Camellia

Beach Fanatic
Nov 26, 2004
In addition, the site is a primary consideration in the design of a building, and choosing a stock plan, making decisions isolated from the site conditions, does not produce the most satisfying
design solution. A good architect can save you a lot of money by creating a design that fits your needs explicitly. My two cents.

Susan Vallee

Beach Lover
Jun 22, 2006
Call Tony!

Hey,

My sweet hubby is great (in my incredibly-biased opinion)! His most recent finished project is the EO Wilson Biophilia Center at Nokuse Plantation in Freeport.

You can see some of his work at www.pvandr.com or www.anthonyvallee.com.

Anthony Vallee
850-532-3951

He'd love to see how he can help you.

kitemare1

Beach Comber
Apr 26, 2008
Panama City Beach - 30A Soon
Designer

Where can I find a good architect that won't cost me $20,000? I'm interested in West Indies/French Quarter style with a small carriage house. I love Eric Watson, Whorter, and a few others but can't afford them. Any suggestions? :dunno:

You can search on SoWal for "Modern Housing". This thread has a couple of residential images. We are able to do more traditional designs as well. Is your site within any development with an Architectural Review Board? Thanks. Ed

austin101

Beach Comber
Mar 16, 2008
I highly recommend Matthew Savoie if you're interested in West Indies/French Quarter style. Check out www.mcsavoie.com and his phone number is 850.622.0057.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Scooter - the reason the architects you mention cost that much is because they are highly trained, do a good job, and spend a lot of time on your project - it's a definite case of "you get what you pay for".

Since you seem to have some favorite local architects, maybe you could approach them about a reuse of one of their previous designs - it is usually cheaper than a fully custom design.

Hiring the cheapest architect you can find or an unlicensed draftsman is like getting the cheapest doctor or a med student to perform surgery on you - the money you save isn't worth it and there's a reason why there are rules against it.

Last edited: