• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Cavallino

Beach Comber
Jun 11, 2005
depends on the date
Architectural Design Fees can range from 6-14% of estimated building costs.

From personal experience, our architect is charging us 7% on a $1.3mm building budget. Another point of reference is a friend of mine whose architectural design fees were around $105K.

Custom plans from well know architects in the area are expensive.

Hope this helps.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Yup - RO - those plans were probably alredy approved by RB and ready to go which adds value, not having to go through the process.

Joe Complete

Beach Lover
Nov 15, 2004
Taxahassee FL/Watercolor
We just went through the process of designing our house for Watercolor. We about fell over when we started getting quotes back from architects. The local architects (local to 30-A) all quoted numbers of $50K/10% of the project. They all had busy schedules and could not start for 6 months or so.

We finally found a great architect in Atlanta for around $20K including the engineering and landscaping docs. We already had a clear idea/sketches of what we wanted and just could not see paying that much to have an architect CAD up the plan. The "percentage of project" mentality seems like a conflict of interest to me as it does not encourage the architect to keep the price low.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Wow! 50K? I should have finished the Masters in Architecture program. :bang: 50K for a few weeks work when a draftsperson does the working plans anyway? That's the only problem with "approved" architects in our communities. They can really slam you and you have little choices. I have mixed feelings about approved architects. Yes our communities are beautiful and I understand approved builders but if plans meet the design criteria established by the DRB, what does it matter who designs them if they are sealed? If structural integrity are concerns, wouldn't it make sense to have an architect on the DRB and just pay a higher fee for review of the plans? It's not like we're putting skyscrapers where there's major structural issues. Don't know, just wonder if specifying approved architects really helps the communities that much.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Cork On the Ocean said:
Wow! 50K? I should have finished the Masters in Architecture program. :bang: 50K for a few weeks work when a draftsperson does the working plans anyway? That's the only problem with "approved" architects in our communities. They can really slam you and you have little choices. I have mixed feelings about approved architects. Yes our communities are beautiful and I understand approved builders but if plans meet the design criteria established by the DRB, what does it matter who designs them if they are sealed? If structural integrity are concerns, wouldn't it make sense to have an architect on the DRB and just pay a higher fee for review of the plans? It's not like we're putting skyscrapers where there's major structural issues. Don't know, just wonder if specifying approved architects really helps the communities that much.

Hold on there bobber. :lol:

Many designs take tons of work to complete, and involve a lot of engineering and permitting as well. The challenge of permitting alone, which is often but not always taken on by a firm, takes a lot of time and effort. Also included may be overseeing the building process, or at least monitoring along the way.

These guys have more business than they can handle for good reason. They are great at what they do, have experience with builders and developers, and have powerful reps. They also carry a lot of liability.

Also consider that more than a few owners building in SoWal developments are not always the easiest customers to please. And there is also the desire to be unique, and quite often a prestige factor. I've heard many a homeowner brag how much their design process cost and who did it.

The cost of draftspeople you mention, which quite often have degrees (even Masters') and experience, are very expensive in SoWal. Not to mention other overhead.

There can be sticky situations with DRBs and approved architects, but they add a lot of value to a development. A cost of doing business in situations where the returns around here have been off the charts.

I have a feeling you would have made a good architect. It's never too late. ;-)

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
kurt said:
Hold on there bobber. :lol:

Many designs take tons of work to complete, and involve a lot of engineering and permitting as well. The challenge of permitting alone, which is often but not always taken on by a firm, takes a lot of time and effort. Also included may be overseeing the building process, or at least monitoring along the way.

These guys have more business than they can handle for good reason. They are great at what they do, have experience with builders and developers, and have powerful reps. They also carry a lot of liability.

Also consider that more than a few owners building in SoWal developments are not always the easiest customers to please. And there is also the desire to be unique, and quite often a prestige factor. I've heard many a homeowner brag how much their design process cost and who did it.

The cost of draftspeople you mention, which quite often have degrees (even Masters') and experience, are very expensive in SoWal. Not to mention other overhead.

There can be sticky situations with DRBs and approved architects, but they add a lot of value to a development. A cost of doing business in situations where the returns around here have been off the charts.

I have a feeling you would have made a good architect. It's never too late. ;-)

Don't forget the liability issue. The more projects an architect completes, the more expensive his/her liability insurance. They must cover each project for seven years from completion. Architects have very high overhead.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Camp Creek Kid said:
Don't forget the liability issue. The more projects an architect completes, the more expensive his/her liability insurance. They must cover each project for seven years from completion. Architects have very high overhead.

Hi CCK! Thanks for expanding on my brief mention of liability.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
kurt said:
Hi CCK! Thanks for expanding on my brief mention of liability.

Err, yes I see that you didn't forget the liability :blush: . I must learn to read all of the words. Sorry :lol:

BrettMan

Beach Comber
Apr 15, 2005
Joe,

Who was the architect in Atlanta that you used? I might be building on my lot in Rosemary and I live in Atlanta. Let me know. Thanks!

Brett