• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
montana said:
Has anyone seen the huge area clear cut back on Chat Holley??? :shock:
It has been mostly cleared for a while, but more recently had more of it cleared and a road built. It is listed as being held by the Charles Forman Trustee account, and whoever that is owns a crap load of property in Walton County.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
When I moved from Grayton Beach to Santa Rosa Beach in the 60's, there were about 300 people here. What I fail to understand is if you don't like the vegetation removed, how do you think they put your house in? If you feel that strongly, then why don't you sell, and free up your house to allow someone else to live there, so they won't have to cut anything else to build for all the people who want to live here! The state owns about 22,000 acres in Walton County. This does not include Eglin AFB or the Northwest Florida Water management District holdings. Go to FNAI.org and click on the conservation lands map.

tailwagger said:
It's not about removing trees and then allowing the land to reforest.

The issue in SoWal is about clear cutting native vegetation, which is usually followed by unattractive development that is too dense and palms, asphalt and concrete appear where there used to be trees.

Some developers have not learned that it doesn't pay to do that. You can get more money for your property if you leave native vegetation, which also saves landscaping expense, energy, water, and future maintenance costs.

SoWal has beauty and character, stripping the land and replacing oaks, magnolias, and pines with non-native species is not the best plan for development.
Amen, brother.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
florida girl said:
When I moved from Grayton Beach to Santa Rosa Beach in the 60's, there were about 300 people here. What I fail to understand is if you don't like the vegetation removed, how do you think they put your house in? If you feel that strongly, then why don't you sell, and free up your house to allow someone else to live there, so they won't have to cut anything else to build for all the people who want to live here! The state owns about 22,000 acres in Walton County. This does not include Eglin AFB or the Northwest Florida Water management District holdings. Go to FNAI.org and click on the conservation lands map.

You do not have to clear cut to build roads. You do not have to clear cut to begin a development. In Seacrest Beach, where we have a home, quite a few of the lots that have not been built on yet -- and there are many -- still have the native vegetation. The development is nearly 10 years old.

There is a distinction here: We are not talking about individual lots. What upsets people are developers who clearcut a huge swath of land before doing anything else! An example that comes to mind, though I'm sure there has been others, is the new "town" of Prominence. Lots aren't even for sale yet and yet the developer decided to clear cut the whole property. It is an eyesore, and considering the way the market is languishing right now, it is going to take a LONG time for that place to become a "town." Right now it is just ugly. I don't think the developer helped himself (or herself) by taking the lazy way out instead of working around the vegetation.

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
Unless you really know your plant life what you think is native vegitation may actually be exotic plant life that is not indiginous at all.

In fact, I once had property reviewed by an environmental consultant only to find that what I thought was beautiful thick native vegitation was actually classified as nusience plants by the State DEP that should be eradicated.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Walton Sun:

Walton County Code Enforcement is enhancing its code enforcement policies due to an increase in environmental violations.
?During the past 12 months, there has been an increase in violations of clearing preservation areas,? Code Enforcement Coordinator Kevin Hargett said.
Within the Walton County Land Development Code, there are designated preservation zones for native vegetation and wildlife habitat. Lately, there have been some problems with people illegally clearing some of those designated areas, Hargett explained.
?These areas are very important to the county and we do get a lot of complaints on them,? he said.
The Board of County Commissioners passed a resolution allowing Code Enforcement officials to issue civil citations when necessary. As it stands, when Code Enforcement issues a warning, the violator has 30 days to rectify the situation. Then, it goes before the Code Enforcement Board.
?We give people written warning and then they don?t take action. It can take 30 or 40 days for a five minute situation,? Hargett said.
Now, following a warning, code enforcement can issue an instant citation, which can run anywhere from $50 to $500 per day.
?It allows us to get code violations corrected faster,? he said.
The county will also have officers on call during the weekends. Code enforcement will specifically focus on wetlands and preservation zones and health safety issues.
?The county takes those issues very seriously,? Hargett said.
Code Enforcement is not intending to act as a police force, it?s necessary for people to understand county regulations, Hargett said.
?We?ll have a better looking county in the long run,? he said.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SoWalSally said:
Walton Sun:

Walton County Code Enforcement is enhancing its code enforcement policies due to an increase in environmental violations.
?During the past 12 months, there has been an increase in violations of clearing preservation areas,? Code Enforcement Coordinator Kevin Hargett said.
Within the Walton County Land Development Code, there are designated preservation zones for native vegetation and wildlife habitat. Lately, there have been some problems with people illegally clearing some of those designated areas, Hargett explained.
?These areas are very important to the county and we do get a lot of complaints on them,? he said.
The Board of County Commissioners passed a resolution allowing Code Enforcement officials to issue civil citations when necessary. As it stands, when Code Enforcement issues a warning, the violator has 30 days to rectify the situation. Then, it goes before the Code Enforcement Board.
?We give people written warning and then they don?t take action. It can take 30 or 40 days for a five minute situation,? Hargett said.
Now, following a warning, code enforcement can issue an instant citation, which can run anywhere from $50 to $500 per day.
?It allows us to get code violations corrected faster,?
he said.
The county will also have officers on call during the weekends. Code enforcement will specifically focus on wetlands and preservation zones and health safety issues.
?The county takes those issues very seriously,? Hargett said.

Code Enforcement is not intending to act as a police force, it?s necessary for people to understand county regulations, Hargett said.
?We?ll have a better looking county in the long run,? he said.

I fail to see how that helps prevent people from clear-cutting. So you get a fine until new trees are planted?

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
using prominence as an example, what if the clearcutting they performed was in contradiction of the code? will code enforcement have them putting trees back intot he ground? what's done is done. they'll pay their daily fine, sell the property and be on their way. same story, different day. walton county govt. needs to catch up to present day.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
DuneDog said:
Unless you really know your plant life what you think is native vegitation may actually be exotic plant life that is not indiginous at all.

In fact, I once had property reviewed by an environmental consultant only to find that what I thought was beautiful thick native vegitation was actually classified as nusience plants by the State DEP that should be eradicated.

And then there are the shortleaf pines that are the bane of my neighborhood. Old turpentine plantation area, so what got planted was what grew fast, not what grew well and sturdy. I'm in the camp that says every time you whack a mature live oak, God kills a kitten too, but I was still doing a happy dance when we had a dozen shortleaf pines removed from our yard after Ivan. (including the one that landed on our garage roof) Bleeping fifty foot tall weeds, they were.