• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I agree with you that the market has softened. It doesn't seem like it's a bad thing, though; these kinds of gains could not continue and eventually the investors were going to go away. Meanwhile, nearly every property owner in the area who bought a year or more ago is looking at significant paper gains and a staggering number are looking to cash in. So everyone put their house on the market at once (or it seems like it). Some may have had to, many were testing the market, some just thought some quick cash would be nice.

Those paper gains aren't real. It's not going to hold up in the short term. There are too many sellers and not enough buyers at those prices, especially given the multiple, nationally publicized warnings of a bubble. Most of the sales along 30-A are second homes or investment properties. People can wait a couple years for the second home; they want to see what the prices end up doing. As far as investment -- well, you can't usually cover costs with rental income, and if the prices aren't continuing to climb, where is the short-term investment?

So of course it is a buyers' market. And it needs to stabilize.

Only those who are pure investors and can't really afford their property are the ones who should be scared. It might take two or three years to weed all those people out of the market. Predictably, they will lower their prices to make their homes more attractive in a huge sea of listings so they can get out.

I'll admit it -- we are investors. But something funny happened while we were watching the prices rise. We fell in love with the area. :love: Absolutely fell in love with it! We have a house (on the rental program) and also a lot 50 yards from a walkover in Seagrove. We are now emotionally attached and instead of thinking of selling either of them, we are dreaming of long-term involvement. Fun family gatherings, vacations in the summer and long weekends when we can. We are thinking of, eventually, building our own retirement home in Seagrove. SoWal has that kind of effect on people.

This devotion is a lot of work and for now means a negative cash flow. But that's OK. Because once we get out we know we won't be able to get back in.

That's the inherent value in the area -- it's a winning combination of the beaches, the emerald water, the small-town feel and most of all, the people. As long as it is not allowed to become another Destin (let's hope the county understands this) and we don't have a 20-year devastating cycle of hurricanes, I think we'll be OK in the long term. The baby boomers are not a myth and neither is the new airport. I am looking for prices to stay fairly stable for awhile but rents to go up. Those who absolutely have to sell now will have to lower their prices, but unless they just bought they should still walk away with some nice profits.

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
Kurt,

The scary part of the housing issue is not related simply to SoWal. I am more worried about the bigger housing market in the US and SoWal is just a small piece of the bigger picture. Rapid declines in housing prices would not be good for the economy. Personally, related to my own investment in Fla, I am not scared.

TFT,

Very well said.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
skier said:
Kurt,

The scary part of the housing issue is not related simply to SoWal. I am more worried about the bigger housing market in the US and SoWal is just a small piece of the bigger picture. Rapid declines in housing prices would not be good for the economy. Personally, related to my own investment in Fla, I am not scared.

TFT,

Very well said.

Don't forget to relax. At least when you visit us. ;-)

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
TooFarTampa said:
I agree with you that the market has softened. It doesn't seem like it's a bad thing, though; these kinds of gains could not continue and eventually the investors were going to go away. Meanwhile, nearly every property owner in the area who bought a year or more ago is looking at significant paper gains and a staggering number are looking to cash in. So everyone put their house on the market at once (or it seems like it). Some may have had to, many were testing the market, some just thought some quick cash would be nice.

Those paper gains aren't real. It's not going to hold up in the short term. There are too many sellers and not enough buyers at those prices, especially given the multiple, nationally publicized warnings of a bubble. Most of the sales along 30-A are second homes or investment properties. People can wait a couple years for the second home; they want to see what the prices end up doing. As far as investment -- well, you can't usually cover costs with rental income, and if the prices aren't continuing to climb, where is the short-term investment?

So of course it is a buyers' market. And it needs to stabilize.

Only those who are pure investors and can't really afford their property are the ones who should be scared. It might take two or three years to weed all those people out of the market. Predictably, they will lower their prices to make their homes more attractive in a huge sea of listings so they can get out.

I'll admit it -- we are investors. But something funny happened while we were watching the prices rise. We fell in love with the area. :love: Absolutely fell in love with it! We have a house (on the rental program) and also a lot 50 yards from a walkover in Seagrove. We are now emotionally attached and instead of thinking of selling either of them, we are dreaming of long-term involvement. Fun family gatherings, vacations in the summer and long weekends when we can. We are thinking of, eventually, building our own retirement home in Seagrove. SoWal has that kind of effect on people.

This devotion is a lot of work and for now means a negative cash flow. But that's OK. Because once we get out we know we won't be able to get back in.

That's the inherent value in the area -- it's a winning combination of the beaches, the emerald water, the small-town feel and most of all, the people. As long as it is not allowed to become another Destin (let's hope the county understands this) and we don't have a 20-year devastating cycle of hurricanes, I think we'll be OK in the long term. The baby boomers are not a myth and neither is the new airport. I am looking for prices to stay fairly stable for awhile but rents to go up. Those who absolutely have to sell now will have to lower their prices, but unless they just bought they should still walk away with some nice profits.

TFT--very well said and quite balanced.

Skier--too much doom and gloom

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
An informative and timely thread. I appreciate the perspectives of both TFT and Skier. I love the one year doubling of my home's value (on paper :blink: ) as much as anyone, but that's clearly not sustainable. Skier's numbers don't suggest doom and gloom, just a sense of reality.

Philip_Atlanta

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2005
www.rosemaryrental.com
drsvelte said:
An informative and timely thread. I appreciate the perspectives of both TFT and Skier. I love the one year doubling of my home's value (on paper :blink: ) as much as anyone, but that's clearly not sustainable. Skier's numbers don't suggest doom and gloom, just a sense of reality.

Agreed - I don't think Skier's post is "doom and gloom" - simply putting out some numbers to ponder. Clearly, 20-25% of the properties on the market would not be considered "healthy". I don't consider the properties that I own pure investments (there are intrisic values outlined in TFT's post); however, being informed about the market we are in is quite useful information.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
I know a family with 3 homes on the market--two investments and their current permanent home. Their permanent home is for sale at a ridiculous price and they know it. My friends hadn't intended to put their home on the market until their neighbors put their house up for sale at an even more ridiculous price.

I imagine that there is a lot of this going on. My friends are in no hurry to sell and they won't sell unless they get the ridiculous price they're asking. Their plan is to live in whichever of the three houses doesn't sell.