• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
One vital step not mentioned-rinse the shrimp in cold water before getting started. Any grit that gets in the sauce will ruin it. And just so you know, Pascal Manales recently reopened!

jdarg said:
Beach Runner's recipe is awesome- I have made it twice. Buy more bread than you think you will ever need, because you will use anything in your house to soak up the wonderful sauce if you don't. :shock:
:rotfl: So true. When I made it two weeks ago, people were fighting over the bread and one of my guests actually asked to lick the pan.

Since the recipe was published, I've had restaurants all over the country contact me and ask if they could use the recipe. I never understood why - I mean, how would I know if they used it without my permission.:dunno:

Skunkape, thanks for the update on Manale's. When at Tulane, that was our favorite places for our parents to take us when they came to visit, and we've been there many times since.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Beach Runner said:
Here's my BBQ recipe (? la Pascal's Manale in NOLA) that was published in the Neiman Marcus cookbook, Pure and Simple. It's yummy - we made it when we were at the beach the week before last. If you happen to have fresh herbs, it's even better.

Manale's invented this dish, but IMO, it has been perfected by Mr. B's. Here is their version.

1 pound shrimp (heads on and fresh)
4 T unsalted butter
2 t cracked black pepper
1 t Creole seasoning (recipe follows)
2 T Worcestershire sauce
juice of 1 lemon
3 cloves minced garlic

Creole seasoning:
2 T ground cayenne
2 T black pepper
4 T paprika
1 t dried thyme
1t dried oregano
1/2 T garlic powder
1 t onion powder
Place in jar and shake.
Cheaper than the prepared stuff if you already have the spices.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Put the butter in a baking pan (high sides) large enough to place
the shrimp in one layer.
Holding the pan, melt the butter on the stove.
Just as the butter melts, add all the other ingredients except the shrimp.
Swirl them around to mix.
Add the shrimp and place in oven.
Check after 2-3 minutes and turn shrimp over.
Another few minutes and they are done.

Divide into bowls and serve with crusty french bread and lots of napkins.

And the only hard thing about making this dish is getting shrimp
with the heads on which requires a good relationship with a
local fishmonger or living near an Asian fish market.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
JB said:
Manale's invented this dish, but IMO, it has been perfected by Mr. B's. Here is their version.
1 pound shrimp (heads on and fresh)
4 T unsalted butter
2 t cracked black pepper
1 t Creole seasoning (recipe follows)
2 T Worcestershire sauce
juice of 1 lemon
3 cloves minced garlic

Creole seasoning:
2 T ground cayenne
2 T black pepper
4 T paprika
1 t dried thyme
1t dried oregano
1/2 T garlic powder
1 t onion powder
Place in jar and shake.
Cheaper than the prepared stuff if you already have the spices.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Put the butter in a baking pan (high sides) large enough to place
the shrimp in one layer.
Holding the pan, melt the butter on the stove.
Just as the butter melts, add all the other ingredients except the shrimp.
Swirl them around to mix.
Add the shrimp and place in oven.
Check after 2-3 minutes and turn shrimp over.
Another few minutes and they are done.

Divide into bowls and serve with crusty french bread and lots of napkins.

And the only hard thing about making this dish is getting shrimp
with the heads on which requires a good relationship with a
local fishmonger or living near an Asian fish market.

I agree, but as you may or may not know, Mr B's still hasn't reopened :sosad:

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
30A Skunkape said:
I agree, but as you may or may not know, Mr B's still hasn't reopened :sosad:

Really? I did not know that. I know Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse took a hard hit as well.

Do you know if the St. Charles streetcar line is operational yet?

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Beach Runner said:
I'll have to try this. Maybe a side-by-side with mine and do a taste test. Thanks for the recipe.

BTW it's "Pascal's Manale," not "Pascal Manales." ;-)

Lots of locals call it Manale's. And BTW, grind your pepper very course for this recipe. I even add more than the recipe calls for to get a little extra BAM!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
JB said:
Really? I did not know that. I know Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse took a hard hit as well.

Do you know if the St. Charles streetcar line is operational yet?

No, streetcars on St Charles are not running. You can imagine what happens when oak limbs fall on lines and the poles. However, they had opened a streetcar line on Canal from the cemeteries to the river with a spur on Carrolton heading toward Bayou St John. The Canal line is running. As luck would have it, the old cars were stored in a barn that did not flood :clap_1: and the newer ones (red) that were on Canal and the riverfront were destroyed! So, the old ones (green) on Canal are kind of like phantoms from the past. I haver not heard the timeframe for St Charles line coming back. The exciting news is that in the long term, they may bring lines back to areas closed years ago, including Desire Street :clap_1: And if you are feeling really lazy, you can buy a BBQ shrimp seasoning packet (I think the brand is called River Road)at a few places in SOWAL;just add shrimp, butter, worchestchire and bread-done and delicious!

OK, now this may be a tangent and more than you ever cared about BBQ shrimp, but here is the story behind the recipe according to Tom Fitzmorris, a local food critic:"The dish was created in the mid 1950s at Pascal's Manale Restaurant. A regular customer came in and reported that he'd enjoyed a dish in Chicago that he thought was made with shrimp, butter and pepper. He asked Pascal Radosta to duplicate it, and the result, said the customer, was not quite the same, but even better". Tom has a cookbook he authored while in Katrina exile;it is titled New Orleans Food and it is a collection of over 200 recipes that are easy to make at home. A chunk of his sales go to charity, so you might check it out on Amazon-it is only about $15 and a very good read in addition to the recipe collection.

One more BBQ shrimp story-perhaps for the benefit of Mr Inlet Beach Dweller. The Saints went to training camp in Lacrosse, Wisconsin in the late 1980s. The food was so bad that the players complained, so the guy in charge of food service figured he would whip up some good New Orleans food to quiet the masses. Somehow, he heard about BBQ shrimp and set out to make it without the benefits of ever having eaten it nor using a recipe. The resulting mess was a stew of those little frozen shrimp (native to Wisconsin :funn: ) baked in your typical tomato based BBQ sauce, which caused a near riot among the hungry players who were anticipating a Manale's style dish! :rotfl:

30A Skunkape said:
The resulting mess was a stew of those little frozen shrimp baked in your typical tomato based BBQ sauce, which caused a near riot among the hungry players who were anticipating a Manale's style dish!
Good info/stories.

Yes, when I tell people about this dish, I try to explain to them that it tastes nothing like traditional barbecue, but they don't get it until they taste it.