• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
In a 4-0 (Commissioner Cecilia Jones was not present) vote the BCC this afternoon voted to set the starting salary for the new TDC director at $125,000 per year making the new director the highest paid non elected employee in Walton County government.

The salary set by the BCC is $28,000 per year higher than the previous director's salary with two years on the job.

The agreement specifies that she opted out of the BCC funded medical insurance program. This saves the County approximately $6,024 over the life of the one year agreement.

The total cost of the package provided to the new director is approximately $160,000 per year including other benefits and perks.

Ms. Malaterno has no prior experience as a TDC Director, although she is reported to be a dynamic Chamber of Commerce professional. We are unaware of any other individuals being given the chance to apply for the position. Ten major TDC bedtax collectors that collected 35.7 % of the Total TDC bedtaxes in 2009 asked for a nationwide search for the best available candidate. The BCC chose to hire Ms. Malaterno despite those calls for a search for the best available candidate.

During the life of the agreement the BCC will also continue to pay the salary and benefits of the previous director for 6 months, and then will pay a lump sum payment to him on October 10th for the cost of another 6 months of medical coverage.

The salary of Ms. Malaterno was negotiated by Mr. Gary Mattison, Acting Assistant County Administrator. Mr Mattison also negotiated the package provided to Mr. Mares upon his retirement.

The WCTA has learned that the initial site work on the forensic audit of the TDC is complete and is expected to be presented to the BCC at the 1st BCC meeting in June.

The audit will detail the TDC director and TDC Board's performance in the oversight and governance role that state law specifies is the TDC board's responsibility to implement and monitor.

Although we were given some general results of the findings, we will wait for the official audit to be made available before detailing the results.

Last edited:

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
So many people let the BCC know how they felt, and it made absolutely no difference whatsoever. We begged for a nationwide search, to no avail.

This is borderline criminal, in my opinion.

Do they know that Okaloosa JUST went through a national search, and hired someone with 26 years of experience (and I am guessing, for less than $125K?)

Lazy, lazy, insider job.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Personally, I don't think I am going to be outraged about a salary for a position heading up an organization responsible for bringing in millions to this county, and taking care of our most precious resource - the beaches. I'd like to reserve judgment until I can measure performance down the road a bit.

Now that the contract is in place I am all for supporting our community and working together to make it the best we can. Maybe that is what you feel you are doing, but I ask the WCTA to be respectful. No matter how upset you may be, you certainly know how to spell her name.

This forum is not to attack or bully. As I have said before, we appreciate you keeping an eye on things, but a reporting of facts and opinions without vitriol will serve our community better, as well as elevate respect for your organization.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
Personally, I don't think I am going to be outraged about a salary for a position heading up an organization responsible for bringing in millions to this county, and taking care of our most precious resource - the beaches. I'd like to reserve judgment until I can measure performance down the road a bit.

Now that the contract is in place I am all for supporting our community and working together to make it the best we can. Maybe that is what you feel you are doing, but I ask the WCTA to be respectful. No matter how upset you may be, you certainly know how to spell her name.

This forum is not to attack or bully. As I have said before, we appreciate you keeping an eye on things, but a reporting of facts and opinions without vitriol will serve our community better, as well as elevate respect for your organization.

I apologize for misspelling Dawn's name. My mistake.

Our organization believes in transparency, fiscal responsibility and holds those in elected office accountable for their actions. Do we always agree with the actions of those elected officials - No - just as I'm sure that others disagree as well. Are we bitter about those disagreements - No.

We always try to be factual in our positions and let those who choose to read make a determination of their merits on their own.

We seek only efficient, effective, and responsible actions by those who determine in many ways the future of our County.

For 29 years this organization has served as the "Eyes and Ears for Walton County Taxpayers".

In the past year our membership has almost doubled in size and would seemingly show the respect our organization has earned.

We will continue to strive only for the best for this county and its citizens and taxpayers as long as our memebship supports our actions.

Thank you for your thoughts. We respect them.

I tried to edit our post and correct the spelling, but that action is not available. Sorry

Last edited:

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I don't object to the candidate - I object to the process. I object to the fact that there was only one candidate. I object to the fact that that I was told by commissioners directly that this was going to be an interim appointment followed by a national search, which means they either misinformed me or were made to change their minds.

Who out there thinks this was a good way to fill one of the top positions in the county?

Look at what Okaloosa did - they had a national search, they narrowed it to three candidates, they chose one. They didn't just stick their head out the door and say, "Who do you think would be a good TDC Director?" "Why, there's a lady in the next building who I think would be good!" "Why, I know her, and I think she's good too! Okay, done!"

Of course, maybe that's why we have the revolving door.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I agree, Here4good. It is the process that is questionable IMO, not the person selected.

apparently there was concern about the handling of the finances within the TDC and that is why no one on staff was selected as Interim Director...that makes sense I guess...but this entire situation begs for clarification.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
I have yet to hear anyone say anything, even in casual conversation about Dawn's ability to fill the shoes. Everything I've heard has been regarding the process in which she was put into that position, along with the fact that Walton County is practically paying $240,000 for that position for 12 months ($160,000 including benefits + Sunny Mares salary for six months). Tie that into the thought of some very influential people at the Walton Area Chamber now having some strings attached to the TDC.

We can only hope that Dawn is excellent at her new job and isn't unduly influenced by some of those key players at the Chamber, in regards to her new role at the TDC.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Just a quick question please. How can you measure how much $$$ the TDC brings into the county?

We can't even measure how much they spend on advertising, since their budget is a black box.

I am really bothered by this part: there were people who represented something like a third of all bed taxes collected who objected to this process, and they were ignored. I doubt that they just showed up at the meeting to voice their concerns, I would imagine that they had also been calling the commissioners to discuss the matter. I had been, and I don't have any connection to the tourist industry, I just want this county to be successful.

So who did have influence, if not the people driving the tourist business?

What kind of government ignores a third of the tax base?