• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Geo, I would agree with you if she was the new director instead of the interim director and if it didn't seem like there were backroom deals going on.

We didn't save anything, we are paying her $160K in salary and perks and still have to find someone for the position.

I don't have anything against Dawn and don't know that she is necessarily a bad choice, it's just that I do not like how this is all playing out.

Seriously, the person we hired without a search or any experience to be an interim director of something under investigation got a major salary bump that makes her the HIGHEST paid employee in the county - during a budget crisis and when many are still reeling from the recession.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
yeah, the appearance of the lack of transparency here is what is bothersome to me. Something about this entire issue just doesn't feel appropriate. The BCC indicates that she is the only person locally who is qualified to fill the position--but how do they know that if they didn't look.....:dunno:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
We can't even measure how much they spend on advertising, since their budget is a black box.

I am really bothered by this part: there were people who represented something like a third of all bed taxes collected who objected to this process, and they were ignored. I doubt that they just showed up at the meeting to voice their concerns, I would imagine that they had also been calling the commissioners to discuss the matter. I had been, and I don't have any connection to the tourist industry, I just want this county to be successful.

So who did have influence, if not the people driving the tourist business?

What kind of government ignores a third of the tax base?

Pay close attention to anyone hired in the coming days. I imagine it will all become apparent, it usually does.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The Sun editorial staff hasn't nailed anything since Gwen Break left. There is more to this story than just the Commission, WTCA. WTCA, you do a great job overalll, but on this one, I have reservations and so should others.

beachlivinggr8

Beach Comber
Mar 3, 2008
Agree

Totally agree with you wcta! Power hungry, money hungry. Burned many bridges in the area that will be hard for the chamber to rebuild. Bad relationships with all the other chamber directors except for maybe one. The other TDC's already didn't like her - this won't help. Preaches for partners and regional stuff as long as she's in control. Hope this is as fun to watch as many think it will be.