• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
Screwed is screwed, and the residents and visitors have all been 'screwed blue and tatooed', let down by the very government that is supposed to protect them, but what else is new.

Money talks and obviously it talked to the right people. Aside: What's the point in having meetings when they will just do what they want anyway and pretend to be 'confused'?

If it bothers you too much, pick another spot to live (and make a pile via caveat emptor once they put the thin layer of white sand to cover it), or pick a different spot to vacation, that has not been spoiled.

The water may get a little muddy from time to time, as the particulates (what makes the dirt brown) wash down with a lot of rainfall (some of which has been happening already from the yellow-brownish stains near the water in the picture), but the water won't change color.

Combatting dune slump is only required when buildings have been built on the first-line dune complex, and so you are eventually going to get ugly beaches, either from dark fill sand used to shore up crumbling structures or true 'beach houses' when they fall in as the dune slumps back down from vertical. BTW, the dune will only be stable if they fill it back to the pre-existing shape - this is all just wasted effort anyway.

Money has always talked in south walton, and it probably will continue to do so for whatever time we have left.

agggg - mb451? I'm in some sort of time warp! Actually, I bet it's because I'm on the ancient laptop since we're visiting family in Indianapolis! (Hi Ya'll!)

Last edited:

For The Health Of It

Beach Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
In Blue Mountain Beach, it was actually determined that the "sand" was actually Red Clay. It was explained to me that this substance was of a whole different molecular structure than the white sand that was called for. The problems with having this type of substance goes far beyound the color of our beaches.

If the substance is of another material than the life forms that utalize it will not be able to. This will have negative impacts on the entire ecosystem. We should not feel so pompus to only look at the impact of color and bad asthetics for us humans. The living being of this ecosystem should come first.

Yes, get the media involved. Chris Mitchell with Cahnnel 13 did a good job of getting this Blue Mountain Beach issue the attention that it needed.

PEIGuy

Beach Crab
Sep 6, 2005
How does the beach look in front of Emerald Hill...
any information or photos would be much appreciated!
Thanks...

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
You can help in the effort to protect our beautiful yet vulnerable coastal environment even if you are not living here. The SWCC is actively involved in helping protecting our unique snow white sand beaches from incompatible dark sand.

Some of us have spent many hours over the last few months investigating and making contacts just on this particular dark sand problem at Montgomery Street.

The SWCC is an organization of volunteer residents, business owners, property owners, workers and neighborhood groups whose mission is to preserve, protect and enhance the quality of life and natural environment of South Walton County.

The SWCC is the primary citizen watchdog organization in the county and since their in inception in 1995 they have been effective in protecting our county?s natural beauty and vulnerable environment. They help keep me informed of what is happening so that I can optimize my contribution as a Walton county citizen.

Walton county is still in the develpment phase and the decisions made now will affect generations . The SWCC needs your involvement and assistance. Only you can make sure that SWCC has the adequate resources to protect our great coastal area.

http://www.southwaltoncc.org/

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks. I will join up immediately. It will help me, as an absentee property owner, to have another connection to South Walton.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
PEIGuy said:
How does the beach look in front of Emerald Hill...
any information or photos would be much appreciated!
Thanks...
PB300017.JPG

Taken on Dec 02 2005. I am pretty certain this is the beach in front of Emerald Hill Condos. Here are a few other shots from that area. Look for the ones entitled Seagrove Dec 02 2005.:D

CastlesOfSand

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
TooFarTampa said:
I'm following in Miss Kitty's footsteps! Thank you for the info ecopal!

Me too, that is horrible. Do we have to keep going throught this sand issue? I thought we had this settled. Crapola!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
SJ:

Thanks for the ongoing photos. Have any of these photos showing dark sand been sent to the commissioners and others who are supposed to be enforcing the codes for light sand? I don't want to send them because they're not mine to send (but I would otherwise). The contrast between the muddy dark brown sand and the natural sand on our beaches is so clear. Thanks.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Paula said:
SJ:

Thanks for the ongoing photos. Have any of these photos showing dark sand been sent to the commissioners and others who are supposed to be enforcing the codes for light sand? I don't want to send them because they're not mine to send (but I would otherwise). The contrast between the muddy dark brown sand and the natural sand on our beaches is so clear. Thanks.

Feel free to use any photos which I post, as long as it is not for monetary gain. My friend who took those photos in Seagrove does not mind either.

It is my understanding that the Commissioners, Greg Graham (in charge of testing sand color), and Code Enforcement are aware of the below standard illegal sand being dumped on the dunes, but the more voices and emails sent, the better the message is understood. From what Mr Graham told my friend, the Commissioners are knowingly allowing the rules which they established to be broken. The Commissioners do not enforce the rules, but they do make them. In this case, they are telling Code Enforcement to allow the rules which they set to be broken. Shame, shame, shame.

I think the emails and phone calls should be directed to the DEP (see email addresses provided by ecopal) as well as every Walton County Commisssioner. Feel free to use the photos which I post(ed). I also have 3 or 4 sand samples taken two days ago, if needed.