• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
What is scaring the daylights out of me about the damage this week is the fact that hurricane season has just started and the dunes are now totally unprotected, and probably weakened. If Dennis took off 7-15 feet by some reports, what will the next one do? If some houses are 1 foot from the cliff created by Dennis, what is going to happen with Elise or Fred or Ginger or whichever?

Are there any quick fixes in a situation like this?

Travel2Much said:
If some houses are 1 foot from the cliff created by Dennis, what is going to happen with Elise or Fred or Ginger or whichever?

It's Emily, actually :bang: (right now they are calling it Tropical Depressioni Five but the next name is Emily)

091555W_sm.gif

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Travel2Much said:
What is scaring the daylights out of me about the damage this week is the fact that hurricane season has just started and the dunes are now totally unprotected, and probably weakened. If Dennis took off 7-15 feet by some reports, what will the next one do? If some houses are 1 foot from the cliff created by Dennis, what is going to happen with Elise or Fred or Ginger or whichever?

Are there any quick fixes in a situation like this?

Unfortunately, no. They are out of options (and probably out of money, uness the Fed steps in). As I have said a jillion times, I am not a fan of dredging, but it may be the only way to salvage what is left of the tourist season.

Had there been only Ivan, then I think the beaches would have been in pretty good shape by Memorial Day 2006. Now all bets are off.

I don't like questioning the TDC, (because they have forgotton more than I will ever know about beach restoration) but they have to be re-evaluating their decision to scrape. They have no choice now but to bring in sand (either by truck or by dredging). When you consider the length of the beach that stretches from the Okaloosa to the Bay County lines, it will be an undertaking of unprecedented proportions.

I am on pins and needles waiting for the the first set of photos to be put up showing the beaches. It will be like a train wreck - afraid to look, but unable to look away.

Godspeed to all.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
The photos will indeed be scary. One thing I learned after Ivan (though I don't know if it's going to be the same after Dennis) is that the beach area near the shoreline seems to get the white sand back very quickly (within days or weeks?) and the ocean becomes emerald green very quickly as well (within days or weeks?). The people who live in the area (I don't) can let us know. It maybe like seeing someone after a car accident in which they get very banged up. In most cases, they heal pretty quickly (at least for the parts we can see) and it can take a long time for the deeper wounds to heal. So, we'll want to remember that these will be the first of the photos a day after Dennis. We'll need to see a series of photos to get a better perspective over the coming days. I'm quite concerned about our beaches, but I figure I'll stay calm for now and will worry if necessary when the whole story is in and nature has a chance to settle down. If I then need to worry, I'll start worrying a lot (and I mean a lot because I love our beaches) then.

Kathryn

Beach Comber
Does anyone think the county will let us put the sand fencing back up before the end of Turtle Season?

Our fences were washed away by Arlene. We were told we could not put them back up until the fall. As you can probably tell, I love turtles, but we felt so exposed for Dennis and it seems this will be an active hurricane season. :shock:

(Thank you to ALL for these forums. It has been so helpful!)

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Sea Turtle said:
Does anyone think the county will let us put the sand fencing back up before the end of Turtle Season?

Our fences were washed away by Arlene. We were told we could not put them back up until the fall. As you can probably tell, I love turtles, but we felt so exposed for Dennis and it seems this will be an active hurricane season. :shock:

(Thank you to ALL for these forums. It has been so helpful!)

The county had no plans to ever put up sand fencing again.

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
CNN had some still pictures of Seagrove this am showing the damage from the start of the storm until after, by some guy named Neill who rode it out, and it was pretty, pretty bad. Kurt has another one up in the damage section, too, near Seacrest.

From the pictures I have seen, sand fences wont be necessary--the dunes are vertical cliffs. Course, someone might want to go rock climbing...

Kathryn

Beach Comber
kurt said:
The county had no plans to ever put up sand fencing again.

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't make myself clear. We paid for and put up sand fencing in front of our home OURSELVES. We tried to put it back up again after Arlene and the county said NO, we had to wait until the Fall. Just wondering if they would lift that restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.