• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Oh okay, you probably caught a spider crab and it was probably seaweed. Spider crabs are inedible and useless, but I'm sure it at least provided some entertainment to your son.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
A little June Grass popped up May14 making surf fishing tough. We caught two redfish that day but didn't really try the 15th because the grass was piling up near the shore. I'm hoping the stuff burns off in the next few days. No seaweed. I'm hearing anecdotal reports of pompano, but I have not seen many at Grayton yet.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
We've been catching pompano, catfish, redfish and flounder in the gulf over near Topsail....when the june grass isn't messing with the lines. It's been coming and going with the winds lately. Also caught a few lady fish. Water sure has been pretty lately.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
We've been catching pompano, catfish, redfish and flounder in the gulf over near Topsail....when the june grass isn't messing with the lines. It's been coming and going with the winds lately. Also caught a few lady fish. Water sure has been pretty lately.

ASH, what are you using for bait? I like the Gulp bait sand fleas because they do not come off the hook, but I have tried the real fleas, too. Not sure one is better than the other. I also really enjoy casting a Doc's Goofy Jig when I want to be more active...ladyfish love that thing.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
We caught whitefish and redfish when we were there in April. It was the first time I ate fish caught right off the beach, 20 minutes after they were caught. The whitefish was so tender - tasted like butter -and the redfish was heftier and delicious (I made blackened redfish). It was great.