• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

treymerrill

Beach Comber
Nov 13, 2011
Alexandria, VA
this issue has kind of died a little the lat 18 months or so as the supreme ct voted for the city of destin i believe against homeowners who claimed the city can't put sand in from of there property for sand nourisment to create a beach. i think that was thr problem. i rent my home and the condo on the beach which we have private deeded beach access has tried enforcing this by telling people to move over. its not a big deal as off the walkway its 4 feet to left so no big deal. no renter has ever mentioned to me. i peronally sit in the private area as i won't be told were to sit. a few times they asked me to moe and i said no the wet area is public and they knew and left. neer a problem. i think someone said the polic won't even come out on this issue now

Sounds like a stalemate--anything's better than being arrested! :boxing:

Do any Blue Gulf Resort owners use the public access to the west of "The Inn"? I purchased a piece of property on the east (north) side of 30A in BGR (Kingfish) and would love to be able to use the access to avoid the 30A traffic traveling to the public access near 83. I'm not sure if I need to join the BMB Club (I was told it was optional when I purchased the property)?

Also, it was interesting to note the beach in front of "The Inn" changed hands in Feb 12. I tried finding a telephone number to the Blue Mountain Beach Master Owners Association, but have been unsuccessful.

If using the access is going to cause trouble, I'd rather just avoid it altogether and go to the one near 83. But if it's open to the public, and it's not going to cause a ruckus, it would be awfully convenient to use.

Thanks for the previous info!

Respectfully,
Trey

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Sounds like a stalemate--anything's better than being arrested! :boxing:

Do any Blue Gulf Resort owners use the public access to the west of "The Inn"? I purchased a piece of property on the east (north) side of 30A in BGR (Kingfish) and would love to be able to use the access to avoid the 30A traffic traveling to the public access near 83. I'm not sure if I need to join the BMB Club (I was told it was optional when I purchased the property)?

Also, it was interesting to note the beach in front of "The Inn" changed hands in Feb 12. I tried finding a telephone number to the Blue Mountain Beach Master Owners Association, but have been unsuccessful.

If using the access is going to cause trouble, I'd rather just avoid it altogether and go to the one near 83. But if it's open to the public, and it's not going to cause a ruckus, it would be awfully convenient to use.

Thanks for the previous info!

Respectfully,
Trey

Trey,

I'm one of your neighbors and have used the public access next to the Inn for years without issue. You don't need to waste your money on joining the club.

The only "issue" that I have had in the last couple of years is from the rent-a-cop at the Retreat telling me that I'm tresspassing when I put my chairs up West of the public access near the water. I just telling them were they can stick it and haven't had any issues. They know that the WCSO isn't going to get involved and have little to no legal recourse.

Go enjoy the beach from that access!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I'm definitely with Arkiehawg on this one. I have been told the county was given the public access as part of the original development order. I can't swear as to the accuracy of this, but it came from a good source some years ago. I live in a townhome that has a "private beach". We have yet, since it was built, to post a sign or ask anyone not to use the beach. All we ask is that you pick up after yourselves and deposit trash in the depository located at the foot of our walkover. And no, our walkover is not a public access.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I'm definitely with Arkiehawg on this one. I have been told the county was given the public access as part of the original development order. I can't swear as to the accuracy of this, but it came from a good source some years ago. I live in a townhome that has a "private beach". We have yet, since it was built, to post a sign or ask anyone not to use the beach. All we ask is that you pick up after yourselves and deposit trash in the depository located at the foot of our walkover. And no, our walkover is not a public access.

That's my recollection also. But I looked at the map of public beach accesses and it's not there. :dunno:

Map is here:
http://www.sowal.com/beach-accesses-map

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Alternately, look up the parcel on tax records and see who is listed as the owner. We're got a couple of trails/linear parks in my development that don't show up on any Okaloosa County lists of parks, but if you go to the online property record for that particular parcel, the county (BCC) is listed as the owner, the owner's address as the county seat, and the legal description is "RECREATION AND ENVIRONMENTAL PRESERVATION AREAS AND RETENTION AREAS AS IDENTIFIED".

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
It's not shown on the property appraiser's maps either.

It's not necessarily a separate parcel. It could be an easement with the Inn retaining the underlying ownership.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I think you are on with the easement bit. There was suppose to be an easement at Blue Mountain Villas as well but it has never happened. Don't know what the story on that one is, either.

treymerrill

Beach Comber
Nov 13, 2011
Alexandria, VA
Thank you all very much for your information! Arkiehawg, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I would love to find more information on the easement y'all are referring to. I may go digging through the Clerk of Courts records later to see if I can find anything. Does anyone know what to make of the Quit Claim Deed dated Feb 12 in which the beach in front of the Inn is deeded to "Blue Mountain Beach Master Owners' Assoc"?

Since I haven't properly introduced myself on the forum, my name is Trey and I am currently a helicopter pilot-I fly UH-1N Hueys-in the United States Air Force, and stationed in Washington DC. I am married with no kids (yet?) I grew up in Walton County and have a profound love for the beaches there. I worked Beach Concierge service at Sandestin Resort for six summers during High School/College! Blue Mountain Beach is, quite simply, a dream. It has always been my beach of choice along 30A and continues to hold a special place in my heart.

Everyone's information/advice gives me the impression that most along 30A are a "family" of sorts. This is surely something alluring about Walton County and I look forward to the day I can retire and sink my feet in the sand in SoWal again. I'll bring some extra beers for anyone that would like to join (cans of course, thanks Duchess!)

I'm a bit of a real estate junkie so I frequent MLS/the forums/waltonpa/clerk of court. My mother was an appraiser in Walton County during the real estate BOOM and I feel it runs in my blood. Interestingly, she may have appraised some of the very lots many of you own.

That's probably more than anyone cared to know about me... The biggest takeaway is I look forward to joining the 30A/SoWal family one day and meeting everyone. Once again, thanks for your insight and if you find anything else regarding this issue, please let me know and I will do the same!

Respectfully,
Trey

treymerrill

Beach Comber
Nov 13, 2011
Alexandria, VA
:welcome:

http://www.florida-annual-report.com/BLUE-MOUNTAIN-BEACH-MASTER-OWNERS-ASSOCIATION-INC.html

Maclin was the original developer, I believe. So the Inn deeded the beach back to him?

Probably someone else on here knows more about the current situation than I do. Maclin's deals have been complicated.

The deed I'm referring to can be seen in the SALES DATA on the following page (I hope the link works):

http://64.234.218.210/cgi-bin/walton_display.cgi?KEY=12-3S-20-34710-00C-0050