• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
It is not only your opinion but the opinion of the US Supreme Court that once the beach is renourished with public funds it and all of its dry sands (not just mean high tide line) are public. I posted a link to the ruling above. About the signage - we don't see signs advertising hot wings on the beach... The only signage I see are terrible private beach signage that could impede turtle nesting. I want it removed.

Actually, that's not what the case was about. The case was about whether a judicial takings occurred when the Florida State Supreme Court ruled in favor of the State, County, and Destin regarding the legal establishment of an Erosion Control Line. Per Florida law, all sands placed seaward of an erosion control line are state owned and thus open to public use. All sands placed landward of the erosion control line remain in ownership of the upland owner and are subject to any covenants or easements as per the property's deeds.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
You missed my point. I'm not complaining about the project or the need for it. After the beach in Miramar along Old 98 was renourished, at least one condo across the street placed private beach signs on the renourished beach. Both the county and the DEP told me they couldn't do anything about it. Surely you don't think the federal government should spend all that money solely for the benefit of gulf front owners? Why would I want my tax dollars to be spent restoring a beach that I would not be able to use?
Brad can keep his opinion to himself if he likes. But I am entitled to express my own opinion that doing so is disingenuous. And you are free to disagree.

I do disagree. I have never seen Brad be disingenuous about anything. Also, it is obvious you do not follow my posts regarding beach usage and signage on those beaches. To be as succinct as possible. ANYONE should be able to use Florida beaches in an appropriate manner. ALL signage should be prohibited except "Dunes are not made for walking" and they should be at walkover or above it.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
You missed my point. I'm not complaining about the project or the need for it. After the beach in Miramar along Old 98 was renourished, at least one condo across the street placed private beach signs on the renourished beach. Both the county and the DEP told me they couldn't do anything about it. Surely you don't think the federal government should spend all that money solely for the benefit of gulf front owners? Why would I want my tax dollars to be spent restoring a beach that I would not be able to use?
Brad can keep his opinion to himself if he likes. But I am entitled to express my own opinion that doing so is disingenuous. And you are free to disagree.

Btw, no federal dollars were used on the Western Walton County project. They will be used on future nourishment projects and the easement requirements will be different regarding accessibility.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
About 75% TDC and 25% state.

soappedaler

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
Somewhere in this thread was a question about easements. You may want to get a copy of the Santa Rosa Plantation easement map that was plated back in the 1920's. had a copy at one point but gave it to Anita. From what I remember easements were granted on the section lines north- south and east west and also north-south half section lines. I know in Dune Allen the easements go to the beach, Dune I had the county move the section line beach easement from their western boundary to the eastern boundary years ago. I'm pretty sure these easements are 33 feet wide but then they may be 66. Ask the clerk of court office for the Santa Rosa plantation Easement map from the 1920's and documentation. The map is on 17 inch paper. Sometimes one of the clerks knows about it.

Rachael Ashman McKee

Beach Lover
May 21, 2012
Seacrest
Don't forget about the holes that people dig on the beach and then leave. These are more detrimental as some are big enough to bury a human let alone a nesting sea turtle.