• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
I just spoke with someone that we rent from at Inlet Beach. He says they are coming as far as Rosemary Beach rebuilding the beach but are stopping there and he doesn't know why they are not providing sand to rebuild the beach where he is. He has a rental directly on the beach down the road that is across from the Spicy Noodle. Since that is Walton County also why is sand not being brought in and provided for those beach houses along there? They are not more than 50 yards from where 30A meets 98? I emailed someone at Walton County last year and they said those people would have to take care of rebuilding their area back up themselves. I assume they meant get their own sand. Why should they have to? He says the rich people at Rosemary Beach are getting help with renourishing theirs. Is Walton County not responsible for helping the people at Inlet Beach also with beach renourishment? He is discouraged and says they are being ignored.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Currently, the only beach restoration project is from Sandestin West to the county line. There is no beach renourishment in place for thr 30-A area.

It may take a few years for a project to be approved. There is massive paperwork, permitting, working with the DEP and more involved before a project can get started.

It took 3 years for the one mentioned above combined with part of Destin to become reality.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
yippie said:
Currently, the only beach restoration project is from Sandestin West to the county line. There is no beach renourishment in place for thr 30-A area.

It may take a few years for a project to be approved. There is massive paperwork, permitting, working with the DEP and more involved before a project can get started.

It took 3 years for the one mentioned above combined with part of Destin to become reality.
It actually took almost seven years, according to Brad Pickle with the TDC. If I correctly remember, the TDC is looking at doing beach nourishment in the critically eroded areas of the beaches of WalCo, which include Inlet Beach, Seagrove, and Blue Mtn. I believe they are on fast track. One of the big hold ups with the current beach nourishment was lawsuits. Those same homeowners are now threatening the company contracted to do the nourishment, so for now, the company is skipping those homeowners out of fear of lawsuit, even though the County says to go ahead and place sand there.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Surely he is not one of them threatening a lawsuit. He acts like he wants his place fixed. I am sure he is aware of this. Why are they threatening a lawsuit if they are going to fix the beach? Doesn't make much since! Is it because they haven't done something already?

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
The houses that they skipped are West of Sandestin, not in the Inlet Beach area.

If the fast track is 2008, then yes, it is on the fast track.

There are conflicting stories about the time frame, so you could be right. I know for a fact that the renourishment was slowed at least a year by the 6 families who oppose it. Filing lawsuit after lawsuit. Basically very self centered selfish people who don't care about others.