• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Yesterday I walked west from Gulf Place around 8:30am. The first chair vendor had 55 chair sets along the water line and only 26 had names attached as reserved. Write your county commissioner if you want your voice heard. Cindy Meadows meacindy@co.walton.fl.us
Cindy will reply she was good about that to me,but help I don't know. BUT, I talked to the Code Enforcement department in Walton County, he said to let him know about chairs without names that is illegal and will stop it ( I have his number but I'm in Alabama for a week and the number is at my house sorry). But call Walton county and ask for code enforcement. I will be doing the same in 10 days Again..... " Power in Numbers".

valpal

Beach Comber
Jun 20, 2014
Nashville & SoWal
The signage, turf wars and umbrella setup en masse are confusing and bewildering issues. I saw the umbrella "spread" (all empty, save a small handful) at Grayton Beach this week and felt both frustrated and sad. Sometimes I feel capitalism is moving at such a rate that vendors of all kind (umbrellas, food, drinks etc.) could quickly and easily commercialize these beautiful beaches to such an extent that an ultimate relaxation spot would become exhausting.

I have a memory seared into my head from childhood that reminds me of the debacle of whose beach/water it really is, if that can ever be adequately defined. I was playing on the beach at my dad's house on Old (Scenic) Hwy 98. We were throwing a ball back and forth, and not paying attention to whether or not we were directly in front of my dad's place. A bit east is a small townhouse development - The Green Reef Club. The ball landed way east, and as I retrieved it, I stopped to look at the ocean. Out of nowhere, I heard a man yelling at me and walking toward me. He proceeded to order me off "his" beach, to never return, and if he saw me again, he'd alert the sheriff. Perhaps an extreme example, but one that's likely occurred countless times. I was just a kid, enjoying the beach, and this cantankerous man made me cry...for what...?

I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone, much less a child. I wasn't tossing empty beer cans. I wasn't building a bonfire. I was taking up a sliver of space for just a moment. Sorry to digress, but perhaps others have experienced this.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Valpal, your post shows vividly the sheer stupidity, arrognance and thoughtlessness of some beach front owners on the Emerald Coast. How sad.

Mello Yolo

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
Blue Lupine Condo's?

Well, we've had "Occupy Wall Street". Perhaps now is the time to hold an "Occupy Blue Lupine" beachfront--or at least the public waterline portion of it.....

What better day to do so, than Independence Day. I'll be the one with the three fluorescent beach umbrellas there, playing heavy metal rock at 110 dB.................