• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Can anyone tell me when this increase requests goes before the board AND convince me why it is needed.

thank you!

I'll be surprised if it doesn't pass--to me it sounds like they've made a pinkie swear with the boys in Bay Co.--"you do it first, then we'll do it too."

As for why it's needed--I think they're planning on offering to recoup Southwest's losses to take up residence at the new airport. From what I know about Southwest corporate culture, they're far too smart to take big money-losing risks, I don't see them moving to the Bay Airport on their own dime--which, being located out in the middle of miles of swamp and pine forests, clearly is a money loser for some time to come.

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Although, I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of a TDC tax, but I think providing funding for the Bay County airport is kind of unreasonable. If companies such as Resort Quest, San Destin and the like want to support it then maybe they should be part of the businesses that make up those funds from their profits. Or maybe Sandestine can add another user fee on businesses located within Sandestin. To be honest I like the idea of Southwest coming to the Emerald Coast but not if they may leave because of an unprofitable market.

CK1

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2007
Although, I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of a TDC tax, but I think providing funding for the Bay County airport is kind of unreasonable. If companies such as Resort Quest, San Destin and the like want to support it then maybe they should be part of the businesses that make up those funds from their profits. Or maybe Sandestine can add another user fee on businesses located within Sandestin. To be honest I like the idea of Southwest coming to the Emerald Coast but not if they may leave because of an unprofitable market.

The one cent tax is to help make our market profitable so Southwest can stay here. This money is going to directly impact the advertising for the new airport and bring Southwest Airlines to it. Southwest is asking all the counties that will be impacted by their coming to the new airport to chip in. This is something we need to do as I see it.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
The one cent tax is to help make our market profitable so Southwest can stay here. This money is going to directly impact the advertising for the new airport and bring Southwest Airlines to it. Southwest is asking all the counties that will be impacted by their coming to the new airport to chip in. This is something we need to do as I see it.

Please provide some proof of the above statements. Southwest is asking the counties to chip in? This is akin to a professional sports franchise threatening to move unless they get a new stadium. And yes, quite often those stadiums get built, but at the very least the people deserve exhaustive disclosure of any arrangements.

Frankly I find it amazing that on another thread, you posted about a tea party for Walton County. Don't you see the disconnect there? You are advocating raising taxes on loyal visitors -- and very likely, directly impacting homeowners who will end up taking less in rent because of this change.

By the way, it's a half-cent tax now. One cent was not going to fly.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I thought the idea about the new airport was that if we built it airlines would be lining up to fly the masses of people .................... not that we would need to increase taxes during rough economic times to bribe a discount airline to fly here. :dunno:

How about we take all the money we waste on study groups, branding, and presentations, and spend it on things that improve the quality of life for residents and visitors.

Thanks - we can always count on you to cut to the chase. :D

If an airport in Bay County was truly needed, then airlines would be lined up to get in. St. Joe made the airport happen. If St. Joe had the same clout it had before the bottom fell out of the market, Southwest would already be moving in. There were probably plenty of handshake agreements with one or more airlines whne the aiport was put on paper. Now, we are having to pay for the bubble popping.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!

If it was profitable for Southwest to be here, they'd already be coming. The idea of renters and rentees subsidizing this just makes my stomach turn.

I was looking through the TDC budget and some info on the council. I found it interesting that the entire council is made up of people who are in the big business tourism - banks, all the major developments like SD, rental management, and real estate companies... how a very specialized "single minded" group of individuals could be given the right to raise taxes on citizenry and guests is beyond me. In their budget, the do spend money of things that are of worth to the general public (like beach access, life guards, and beach restoration) but a substantial amount of it goes to marketing research and administration which directly benefits the businesses operated by those that run the council. It might be a good idea for the citizens of Walton to take a good hard look at this group, the power that they have and who they work for, I sense they are not working and implementing policy with everyone's best interests at heart.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
If it was profitable for Southwest to be here, they'd already be coming. The idea of renters and rentees subsidizing this just makes my stomach turn.

I was looking through the TDC budget and some info on the council. I found it interesting that the entire council is made up of people who are in the big business tourism - banks, all the major developments like SD, rental management, and real estate companies... how a very specialized "single minded" group of individuals could be given the right to raise taxes on citizenry and guests is beyond me. In their budget, the do spend money of things that are of worth to the general public (like beach access, life guards, and beach restoration) but a substantial amount of it goes to marketing research and administration which directly benefits the businesses operated by those that run the council. It might be a good idea for the citizens of Walton to take a good hard look at this group, the power that they have and who they work for, I sense they are not working and implementing policy with everyone's best interests at heart.

Did you seriously think that these folks were doing what they do for the good of the local citizens??:funn:

Sure, they have to throw the citizens a bone now and again because they need their vote to keep doing what they do; and they need to keep some semblance of order and sanitation because they live in the county; but if one takes off the rose-colored glasses, a good deal of the decisions made is about feathering nests.

The vote tonite will prove a lot...I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Sonny Mares has told Bob Hudson that the TDC will be pulling the resolution from the agenda tonight. I guess they can count. Now the real work begins. This thing, in the long run, has a very good chance of passing. Now the rental community needs to come together and meet with the TDC to see what they need from them to get behind this.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Sonny Mares has told Bob Hudson that the TDC will be pulling the resolution from the agenda tonight. I guess they can count. Now the real work begins. This thing, in the long run, has a very good chance of passing. Now the rental community needs to come together and meet with the TDC to see what they need from them to get behind this.

I heard that the Walton County Taxpayers Association now supports increasing the bed tax by 1/2 percent for the marketing efforts. Is that accurate?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I heard that the Walton County Taxpayers Association now supports increasing the bed tax by 1/2 percent for the marketing efforts. Is that accurate?

This is the text of the letter that Bob Hudson sent to Maurice Gilbert stating the position of the WCTA.

Begin text:

Dear Maurice:
On behalf of the Walton County Taxpayers Association (WCTA), I thank you for your recent special workshop which opened up dialogue between our two groups on the proposed half cent bed tax.
We believe the amendments made to the original enabling language, a sunset provision, delaying collection until the next fiscal year and escrowing the revenue for the specific purpose of securing a low-cost airline, reflect your willingness to partner with the public and to act on public input.
The WCTA supports the initiative to partner with a low-cost airline which will open new markets and generate economic development for our entire coastal region. We understand that a marketing plan of this magnitude requires money on the table, money commitments speak louder than words. The TDC exists to develop tourism, and a low-cost airline is a major step in tapping new markets.
You have substantial support from most of the large resort properties in South Walton and a resolution from the Walton Chamber of Commerce. In recognition of the many small rental groups and individuals who rent their own properties, we ask that you work toward eliminating this temporary tax earlier than five years, if possible.
We believe that lower taxes stimulate economies. With Bay County raising bed taxes to 5%, it might also give Walton County a competitive edge to have a lower bed tax. As your existing marketing plans are updated and redesigned, as revenues increase because of new markets, it is our hope that there will be sufficient new monies generated in the 4% collections to offset the need for the incremental taxation and allow an earlier sunset.
Should the low-cost airline deal not materialize, we would hope the sunset would expire immediately.
Working together produces a positive and unified result. We appreciate the opportunity to work with you on this initiative and look forward to a continuing relationship.

End text.