• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
As of today, Phelps is at 9 total gold medals. I agree with singinchicken... he'll pass them. He's quite an incredible athlete.

As for ego, I can understand that. I still think it's cool that he's barely older than me, and he's shattering records and making history.

No kidding - - he is amazing! He's entitled! :clap:

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss
I hate to cast a shadow on such glory but we had dinner with good friends tonight and their daughter's boyfriend knows Michael Phelps and says he's an arrogant SOB who is very full of himself. His athletic prowess knows no bounds and apparently neither does his ego.

I don't honestly know how it could be otherwise given the media attention Olympic atheletes receive. They're fawned upon 24/7 so I can't imagine anyone Michael's age in his same situation, with his same talent, could not have a stuffed head. If he's the great guy he appears to be, he'll calm down and be his regular self when it's all over. His regular friends back home hope so. :blush:
I bet even the ones that do poorly in such an event have a stuffed head. .Maybe he'll settle down after all the talk shows and visits to the White House and whatever else.How much is speedo paying him if he goes 8 for 8?
Anyway I'm pulling for him.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I bet even the ones that do poorly in such an event have a stuffed head. .Maybe he'll settle down after all the talk shows and visits to the White House and whatever else.How much is speedo paying him if he goes 8 for 8?
Anyway I'm pulling for him.

I choose to take the tidbit that Mermy has shared about Michael Phelps with a grain of salt. I am going to let his record and how he comes across in interviews ( fabulously, I think) speak for him. Plus, he always looks for his mom in the stands. :love: Lord knows I have become cynical, but third hand info doesn't always cut it for me. :cool:

audie

fartblossom
May 15, 2005
I choose to take the tidbit that Mermy has shared about Michael Phelps with a grain of salt. I am going to let his record and how he comes across in interviews ( fabulously, I think) speak for him. Plus, he always looks for his mom in the stands. :love: Lord knows I have become cynical, but third hand info doesn't always cut it for me. :cool:

maybe there's some jealousy there in the third parties ? a little part of me says that any young man like him who loves his mom like he obviously does can't be all bad.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
For someone who is supposedly completely full of himself, Phelps does not come off that way at ALL in interviews - and I have pretty low tolerance for that sort of thing.

The men's gymnasts (and almost every basketball and football player in the world) need to take some decorum lessons from him IMO.

potatovixen

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
PCB
www.myspace.com
For someone who is supposedly completely full of himself, Phelps does not come off that way at ALL in interviews - and I have pretty low tolerance for that sort of thing.

The men's gymnasts (and almost every basketball and football player in the world) need to take some decorum lessons from him IMO.

No kidding! That Jonathan Horton kid was getting on my nerves when they won the Bronze last night. The other guys were kind of obnoxious, but he took the cake. Even the basketball team didn't come across as that arrogant.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Was he the blonde "we're going to jump in the Yangtze river" guy?

The dark haired one (who looked like he ripped some calluses and had a bandaged hand) was the one I just wanted to slap. (Well, him and the ditz reporter who asked the swimmer why she was crying on the gold medal podium - um, how about because I just got an olympic gold medal?)

The blonde russian american guy w/ the amazing pommel horse routine was the one w/ most reason to be celebrating/talking big, not those 2!