• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Last night I was driving through Watercolor, and there was a LARGE (long AND fat!) serpent on the white line. It was after dark, but in the headlights the thing looked to be 4' long. Light-colored. It wasn't tapered like a non-venomous snake, so I attempted to squish it but missed. (Sorry, snake-huggers, but there were pedestrians only a few feet away on the other side of whatever they have growing between the road and the sidewalk.) That sonofabiscuit was mad...Before you even ask--NO, I don't have pictures.

Then as we left town today, there was a big ol' black snake trying to cross 283. He could have been harmless--very long and skinny.

I haven't seen a snake all spring, and suddenly I'm surrounded by them. This camera-shy guy was waiting on my steps Friday:

05-23-08_1625.jpg

He is now living under my house. Because of that and his incredibly black, hard-to-photograph color, I think I'm calling him Smudge...

Gypsea

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA; Watercolor
Hey NoHall, we saw that light colored snake on Friday evening. I thought that Cap'nCrazy hit him (he thought it was a stick) but apparently he did not. Sorry the snake is still terrorizing the neighborhood!!! Either that or the snake has siblings! :eek:

NoHall

May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Black snakes are your friend!

Ummm...do you think he would be living under my house if I didn't know that?

I rully, rully hate snakes of all sorts, but when I called Dad over to see the black snake on Friday and we watched (to my supreme horror) as he slithered under my house like he owned the place, Dad reminded me, "Well, at least you know there are no copperheads, rattlesnakes, or rats under there!" :blink:

NoHall

May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Hey NoHall, we saw that light colored snake on Friday evening. I thought that Cap'nCrazy hit him (he thought it was a stick) but apparently he did not. Sorry the snake is still terrorizing the neighborhood!!! Either that or the snake has siblings! :eek:

I haven't seen a thread titled "BIT BY A SNAKE!", so hopefully his reign of terror is nothing more than angry slithering. Watercolor has all that nice, tall grass (that I walked through on Saturday.) :leaving:

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
It clearly does not look like a venomous snake. Its body is rather skinny it seems to me. Probably some version of a rat, pine or swamp snake and probably on the prowl for rats. :clap:

NoHall

May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
It clearly does not look like a venomous snake. Its body is rather skinny it seems to me. Probably some version of a rat, pine or swamp snake and probably on the prowl for rats. :clap:

Black racers are skinny. Not venomous but can be aggressive. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Dudes--I looked him in the eye. He's harmless. I told him to move in and eat everything he wants.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Light colored...hanging out in the long grass and palmettos. Sounds like it could have been a Rattler.
Me and the Mrs were walking on 30-A the other afternoon and saw a snake swimming in the pond right near Gulf Place. It was a dark color with light bands going around it. Kinda like a Water Mocassin, but I don't know for sure.