• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I see cars on 98 momentarily drift into the bike lane all the time. I conclude that nobody should ever bike on 98 regardless of his right to do so. It's a bad idea. The bad drivers win.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It's not just 98 - few people seem to be able to keep in their lane - which is why I stick to the paths with bikes and crash tested vehicles with airbags for the roads.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
http://www.newsherald.com/news/hospital-95008-identity-injured.html

PANAMA CITY BEACH — Florida Highway Patrol is investigating a hit-and-run collision that killed a bicyclist Sunday shortly before midnight.

Marija Kostova, 22, was waiting for friends on her bicycle on the north side of the eastbound lane of Cabana Boulevard when her bicycle was hit by an unknown eastbound vehicle, according to a news release from FHP.

futurebeachbum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Snellsburg, GA
www.myfloridacottage.com
I briefly rode my bike in the bike lanes of Hwy 98. I got off of 98 as fast as I could and I found the experience thoroughly unnerving to do again.

With the right-of-way that 98 has it seems like they could put in a small path 15-20 feet off of the traffic lanes without much issue. It wouldn't have to be wide or paved. They could just use crushed gravel.

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
I believe the law requires that cyclists ride with the flow of traffic and abide by the same traffic laws as all other vehicles on the road. I know it seems like riding toward traffic would give you a "heads up" of approaching danger, in reality, you wouldn't have time to react if a car were bearing down on you. I know there are other practical reasons for the law, but I'm not an experienced cyclist, so maybe someone will pop in to educate us!

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I believe, by law, if they are usiing a highway, they need to go with the traffic, and obey all the rules of the road. In answer to the poster who suggested a gravel bike path: no bicycler is going to use a gravel path. The reason they are on the highways in the first place is because of the smooth, straight pavement. I know it's sounds fanciful, but why couldn't someone just build a bicycler's parkway, somewhere out in the state forests somewhere, so that these people wouldn't feel compelled to tempt fate by attempting to ride so close to huge metallic boxes travelling at almost 100 miles per hour. The only way you're going to find me on one these crazy American highways is in a big metallic box with seatbelts and airbags and horsepower enough to try to avoid the crazies.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I was self-taught to only ride on the sidewalk/bikepath, or on the road in areas of slow moving congested traffic where cars don't travel much above 25 mph. On narrow roads, there are definitely times that I will ride against traffic. I'll be the judge and do what I think is safest. I will never under any circumstances use toe clips.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I briefly rode my bike in the bike lanes of Hwy 98. I got off of 98 as fast as I could and I found the experience thoroughly unnerving to do again.

With the right-of-way that 98 has it seems like they could put in a small path 15-20 feet off of the traffic lanes without much issue. It wouldn't have to be wide or paved. They could just use crushed gravel.

you are smart to get the heck off 98! I'm telling you, that is not a bike lane. It is very, very small and is almost sharing the right hand lane with traffic. Not good enough for a bike, imo. There is plenty of room for a safe and separate bike lane to be built.