• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beemn

Beach Lover
Jan 1, 2006
so wal
While I agree that bikes in the street can be annoying, get over it! You forget that bicycles are environmentally friendly alternative TRANSPORTATION! Not toys! Some of use ride instead of drive. One day you will have to become one of us, or lard out at home. We are going places not just playing. I ride the path and cars not looking are the problem! Get off your D**m cell phone and drive!

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
This is always a hot-button topic. I'll stick to the spinning classes, but I never understood why people insist on riding in the road. Doesn't seem safe.

ALSO, fun fact that can blamed on the bikers:

The anxiety that drivers feel when stuck in traffic is that of a skydiver about to jump out of a plane for the first time.

Carry on, this should be interesting. Always gets Smiley J fired up. I've seen him in his Lance outfit too.:clap_1:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Carry on, this should be interesting. Always gets Smiley J fired up. I've seen him in his Lance outfit too.:clap_1:

Yep, I'm going to catch hell once SJ gets wind of this thread but as long as he doesn't show up at my house, in his Lance Spandex, threatening to wrap a bicycle tire around my head than I'm sure we can keep it civil:blush:

"Nice Spandex bike shorts there SJ; by the way, it looks like your front tire isn't properly inflated"

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
While I agree that bikes in the street can be annoying, get over it! You forget that bicycles are environmentally friendly alternative TRANSPORTATION! Not toys! Some of use ride instead of drive. One day you will have to become one of us, or lard out at home. We are going places not just playing. I ride the path and cars not looking are the problem! Get off your D**m cell phone and drive!

I'm not anti-bike or anti-environment! I use my bike for fun, exercise, to run errands, to retrieve my car from the bar I left it at the night before etc.

FYI: If everyone else's behavior is always the problem, perhaps you should look a little harder for another common denominator.

Completely agree on the cell phone use while driving.......or riding!

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Yep, I'm going to catch hell once SJ gets wind of this thread but as long as he doesn't show up at my house, in his Lance Spandex, threatening to wrap a bicycle tire around my head than I'm sure we can keep it civil:blush:

"Nice Spandex bike shorts there SJ; by the way, it looks like your front tire isn't properly inflated"

:funn: Ohh...that's great! I caught him riding by in his Lance spandex one morning. What can I say though...I was hungover on the porch.

Perhaps you lend him a pump, Uncle Timmy?

... and cars not looking are the problem! Get off your D**m cell phone and drive!
Here in GA this morning while running I saw a car pull up to an intersection I was about to cross. The driver was holding a cell phone up to her ear with her right hand and about to make a right turn steering with only her left hand. Something just told me that she wouldn't stop for me. Sure enough, not only did she not stop for me, she never saw me and didn't even stop at the stop sign - she just rolled through.

Don't people know they can get earbuds so they can drive without holding a damned phone?!:pissed:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
I'm not anti-bike or anti-environment! I use my bike for fun, exercise, to run errands, to retrieve my car from the bar I left it at the night before etc.

Exactly. Let's not reframe this debate along bogus arguments. This is not eco-friendly bikes versus big ugly car drivers.

The issue at hand is whether 30-A is an appropriate venue for bikes.

egrp

Beach Lover
Sep 22, 2005
real bikers cannot use the bike path...too dangerous for pedestrian, people pulling out of driveways, cafe signs, etc. bikers who are traveling at fast rates of spped 17+ mph have to use the road...that being said 30A is a very difficult road to get a good ride in...just too much commotion.

front beach road is excellent however and has bike lanes.

also RELAX...its people exersizing...its not going to kill u to cruise along behind a biker at 20 mph on 30A and wait for an opportunity to pass. motorists are soooo ridiculous when it comes to bikers and pedestrians and its because the majority of them don't exersize and don't understand whats it like to be said biker or pedestrian.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Just one gentle tap on Kurt's Amtrak horn for courtesy!

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
real bikers cannot use the bike path...too dangerous for pedestrian, people pulling out of driveways, cafe signs, etc. bikers who are traveling at fast rates of spped 17+ mph have to use the road...

also RELAX...its people exersizing...its not going to kill u to cruise along behind a biker at 20 mph on 30A and wait for an opportunity to pass. motorists are soooo ridiculous when it comes to bikers and pedestrians and its because the majority of them don't exersize and don't understand whats it like to be said biker or pedestrian.

I use the bike path all the time. My point is that 30-A is not the best place for 'real' or 'serious' bikers.

I agree -RELAX. Slow down, enjoy a scenic bike ride along our beautiful bike path, there is no need to barrel along 30-A at 17+ mph.