• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
When my other videos are uploaded, I will begin to upload a Willie video or two, and you can see for yourself. That man is incredible. He played one long and beautiful set. I tried to picture my grandfather performing like that (kind of difficult to do as he was a farmer, not a musician) when he was Willie's age, and I don't think he would have had the energy.

I saw you!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I saw you!
I heard that from several people. I didn't see you, but I saw your husband.

I almost forgot, the volunteer ushers had to be the sweetest ushers I've have ever, and I do mean ever, encountered at a concert! I told them so, and they just grinned and said, "we are here to please." It was like having 25 or 30 of my grandmothers showing me to the seats. :love:

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
had a friend who was unable to make it at the last minute, so i'm driving to PC with an extra. call up a vehicle coming back from Jax with 4 friends in it who work at alys beach. one of them, Olive, is a huge fan and really wants to go, so we plan to do a meetup for me to pick her up. they'll come down 231 from I-10. i pull into a waffle house with plenty of time to spare. as i'm dialing them to indicate my whereabouts, my phone rings and they're at am ihop further north(23rd st).

as i'm pulling back into the sucky PC traffic, i see what is obviously Willie's tour bus gliding through traffic to the venue. plenty of time. 6:30 meet up with the AB crew, recieve Olive and head inside ihop for a quick bite before the show. get our order taken, Olive; grilled cheese, me; crepes florentine(new menu item). chatting away about Olive's/AB's real estate trip for what seems like a long time and look at watch. it is a long time, food arrives around 7:10 and is inhaled. how could it take so long?, i'm wondering. finish food and have to ask for check. olive tenders CC before waiter can finish handoff. she goes to restroom and comes back, no check. i go to restroom, check and CC are delivered. meanwhile, busperson comes to clear and informs Olive that they are quite shorthanded due to sick call-in's(willie nelson concert??) we leave 7:17 heading south. Paul has called during dinner to see where we are, Kyle calls while we're driving to let me know they're inside. no opener is scheduled.

7:29 arrive at venue and start looking for parking. it's right on the water and is probably quite nice in daylight or with half an hour before showtime. we head in, passing a good amount of smokers still going for that last drag before being trapped inside without being able to smoke for more than 20 minutes.:eek: hand the nice lady our tickets and she indicates where we are to go. announcer(local country radio station hack), is already onstage welcoming Willie. we slide into our seats 10 seconds before first note.

our seats are in last row of orch, right in front of sound and lights, and right behind some guy with the biggest head in the place. he's sitting in front of me but after a few notes moves over one seat into an empty, and in front of Olive. she is craning neck and after a couple songs of me taking in my surroundings, we switch. i sit with seat front up above hugeheadguy and block no one since we're in front of light guy's area.

house is packed. Willie's fans are quite devoted and evryone is cheering, and clapping, and whistling after every song. the light cues were interesting to follow, they eventually got dialed in. and the spot operators were definitely local crew:roll: the sound was a little challenged at first, but got dialed in quickly. and, it never got too loud(95-98db approx) which was nice since i had forgotten my earplugs. my theory: Willie's audience is older and the crew realizes they can listen to music without being blown back in their seats. stage was simply set with huge lonestar as backdrop as only decoration. Willie went through one hat and about six or seven bandanas throughout show. Smiling Joe left auditorium once.

show ran approx 1:45 and was being struck as soon as last note was played. we waited for the crowd to rush out and exited with Smiling JOe, his brother and sister in law, and Morgan. Back through the cloud of smoke:bang: we found some SRB krewe and chatted about the show for 10-15 minutes while waiting for lot to clear. some went back to the buses to catch a glimpse, but it seems Willie had already gone.

i believe Olive is able to supply set list.

no sightings of M/M Steeling1

Last edited:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
a little something for those of you who missed it. >>>:love:<<<

Thanks, sj. Love WN! You know, he and I have the same birthday. :love: Been to his hometown many times. I can't believe he's still going strong--good for him!

Poodleone

Beach Fanatic
Jun 27, 2006
Kerens, Texas
I have only seen Willie at Billy Bob's in Fort Worth but those were two of the best and most memorable concerts of my life. He is terrific. Didn't stop playing and a half for 21/2 hours. Just think of all the songs he has written and all of the others that he knows and is capable of playing.

The venue at Billy Bob's is great for any artist- if you are ever there just go for any Friday or Saturday night- you can't beat the sound and the atmosphere.

Nancy L

Beach Lover
Dec 14, 2005
Destin
:clap_1: You are so right! They were so pleasant and extremely helpful. I'm sure they loved being there as well.
I heard that from several people. I didn't see you, but I saw your husband.

I almost forgot, the volunteer ushers had to be the sweetest ushers I've have ever, and I do mean ever, encountered at a concert! I told them so, and they just grinned and said, "we are here to please." It was like having 25 or 30 of my grandmothers showing me to the seats. :love: