• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
In a previous thread someone came up with the idea of creating a blacklist of bad renters so that rental owners could avoid them. Anyone interested in pursuing this? Thoughts? Legal issues?

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
No, I'm not so sure this would be the appropriate place, anyway. And even if it were, I wouldn't do without your approval, Kurt (it is your site, after all), and even then only after seriously vetting it with some legal folk.

I'm not sure such a thing even could work, unless all the various agencies cooperated and there was some sort of process to avoid the "yes you did...no I didn't" types of arguments that would arise.

But it would be nice to have some sort of check/balance so that I know I'm not renting to the same person who just trashed some other poster's house a few months earlier. I don't know what that would be nor how it should be implemented (certainly not on this site), but am open to ideas if anyone has any.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
FoX said:
It would be impossible to keep a list accurate and most offenders wouldn't be repeats that often.

...and, since most owners do not personally check on their houses between turns, who would be grading these rentors? Housekeepers? I suppose a grading system for owners and rentors may theoretically have potential, but one thing that helps those systems like the ones on ebay and half.com is the quantity of ratings. Unfortunately, people tend to only rent one time per year. Also, to get around the black list, people could rotate the name of the person making the reservations and paying the bill. You may not see the same name for 10 years.

I think we just have to live with it, or take the houses off the rental program.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Agree...renting your place can be a little like Las Vegas. Pay off can be good, but you definitely take risks.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
SlowMovin said:
In a previous thread someone came up with the idea of creating a blacklist of bad renters so that rental owners could avoid them. Anyone interested in pursuing this? Thoughts? Legal issues?

If you are going to do that, then let's also have a blacklist of uncaring, unresponsive, crooked property owners/rental agencies. There are plenty of them out there - folks who provide inaccurate information on their properties (false advertising if you will) and do absoultely nothing when a renter has a problem.

It's only fair to show both sides of the coin.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
I think a rating and review system for rentals would be a great idea. How would it work and how would Kurt get it started? :D

lollygal

Beach Fanatic
As an owner, I think any kind of "blacklist" is a BAD IDEA. In my case, people rent directly through me, no management co., etc., and I have not had any TERRIBLE experience. The worst thing that has happened was that they stained the blankets (big deal -- a little Clorox) and one group tried to break into the front door (they forgot where the hide-a-key was, I guess). They didn't cause any great damage, just a little spackling. I have appreciated the people that have rented from me each year and hope they come back next year. (Of course, I know who not to invite back if they caused any kind of mess). (Hopefully, the bad renters are few and far between). The good outweighs the bad and I don't want people thinking they are not welcome on 30A.

This is just my experience. I totally understand anyone who has had serious damage to their property. I just don't think this forum is the place for it.

lollygal said:
As an owner, I think any kind of "blacklist" is a BAD IDEA. In my case, people rent directly through me, no management co., etc., and I have not had any TERRIBLE experience. The worst thing that has happened was that they stained the blankets (big deal -- a little Clorox) and one group tried to break into the front door (they forgot where the hide-a-key was, I guess). They didn't cause any great damage, just a little spackling. I have appreciated the people that have rented from me each year and hope they come back next year. (Of course, I know who not to invite back if they caused any kind of mess). (Hopefully, the bad renters are few and far between). The good outweighs the bad and I don't want people thinking they are not welcome on 30A.

This is just my experience. I totally understand anyone who has had serious damage to their property. I just don't think this forum is the place for it.

Hey Lolly! Stayed in Cottage 06 in your complex. Loved it! Saw yours. Very colorful :cool: We thought it looked great :!: