1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Blithe Spirit Goes on!

Discussion in 'Events and Activities' started by RepComic, Feb 20, 2008.

1. John R

John R needs to get out more

Nice performance last night, an excellent comedy by Noel Coward. The students were having so much fun and delivered the show great aplomb. I'm glad the community is getting a chance to see this troupe put on this show. It's a strong testament to "where there's a will, there's a way" It's sad that an ugly, little group of small minded people could have influenced the school board over the arts. It leaves a sour taste in the mouth and a dark cloud over the school board. Hopefully they(the school board) will attend, realize their error, and amend their thinking.

As noted thespian Spock was fond of saying "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

It does seem that sometimes when we are challenged, we rise above and create new and better ways of doing something. Everyone's performance last night was incredible. I go to every play the REP puts on, and this performance was right up there near the top. I'm impressed. Who knew that SoWal High School had so much acting and production talent? I didn't. WoW! The play itself, is a hilarious comedy, and I'm not sure that the people who protested the school for attempting to perform the play, know up from down. It was my understanding that those protesters thought that the play would convert Christians to something else. I think those protestors would be better off trying to get "Wife Swap" off of the TV. If Jesus, himself, had been in the audience, he would have been laughing, too. Some people need to lighten up. Shame on them. However, secretly, I am glad it was banned, because that will just draw more attention to these student/actors for taking a stand in a controversial situation. They grew because of the banning, and I was able to see the play in the intimate setting of the REP.

Great job to all who were part of this production! I'm not sure if they have any tickets remaining for the other shows, but if you up for seeing a funny play, turn off the TV and pick up the phone to reserve your tickets.

3. Jennifer Steele

Jennifer Steele Beach Fanatic

Those students were FABULOUS!!!! Congratulations to them and Kevin for making it happen. I was very proud. :wub:

4. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I wouldn't have seen it if they performed it at the high school. Thanks to those twits getting it banned the show got a larger audience! :rofl:

5. goofer

goofer Beach Fanatic

Those students were acting like they were born for the theater. The chemistry between the actors was incredible and I am sure the direction had quite a lot to do with it. Kudos to Kevin Boyle for an outstanding production. The play was hilarious and as I sat there my mind tried to imagine what it was like being at theater in the early 1940's in war torn London during the blitzkrieg. The play certainly helped take the strain of war off the minds of Londoners, at least for a few hours, during those perilous times. Things always happen for a reason......I am glad for the close-mindedness of the school board because it opened the door of opty for a great play to be performed by young, enthusiastic, and talented actors at the REP. It was a memorable evening of theater enjoyed by all. Thanks to everyone for a great evening !! :clap:

6. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

Sadly this is the case with many things, that people are against something out of fear based on ignorance, instead of intelligence based on fact.

Kudos to all that allowed this production to go on. I only wish I could have been there to see it. :clap:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

[​IMG]

The show comes to a close tonight. Get your tickets, NOW, if they haven't already sold out!

8. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Yippeeee! Pics!!! Thanks SJ--:clap:

9. Kaynay

Kaynay Beach Comber

That head scarf is such a pain.

10. NoHall

NoHall hmmmm......can't remember

Bravo, bravo, bravo--:clap:

I wish I lived here so that I could tell you how proud I am to be part of this community. Kevin quoted someone who said that true change arises from conflict; I was thoroughly impressed with the "blithe spirits" that were represented on stage. In the Q & A following the show, their focus was not on the conflict, but from the amazing opportunity that was offered to them by the Seaside Rep.

Spectacular show, spectacular spirit...thank you!

11. Theandrin

Theandrin Beach Crab

Blithe Spirit was sooooo much fun to do, its a pity thats it's all over. Kevin taught us all so much and he was a great director. I really will miss doing the play. :cry:
    Signing out,
    Taylor Queen (Charles Condomine)

12. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

Congratulations to all -- not only for the play, but for handling the entire situation with such grace.

Our school leaders could learn something from you !

13. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

:welcome: Ah... a new generation of SoWallers.:lol: You SoWal High students need to stick around! Especially since you are ALL so hilarious.

I am so sad to see most of this Blithe Spirit group graduate this spring, and judging from the kids I have met so far at SWHS, I will be sad every year. We are lucky to have so many wonderful young adults here!

14. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

It was probably the most enjoyable play I have ever seen at The Rep. It was fantastic-great job to everyone involved!

15. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
    My theater mentor and friend reviewed the show Friday night. He had very, very positive things to say about the show, the actors and the direction they received. I think the kids will have a very good review to look forward to in this weeks paper from a guy who knows his stuff.
    Bravo to Kevin and cast:clap:

Thanks for the students and adults alike who took this situation and turned it into something wonderful. To anyone who has ever faced adversity for the sake of art and self expression you are an inspiration:clap:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  16. Lane Rees

Lane Rees Beach Lover

Excellent presentation by students at South Walton High School. Well done and throughly enjoyable. Pleased to have attended the last night and to listen to the question and answer time with the students. On the program the maid was not listed, who is she and her background. The other presenters were highlighted.

17. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Wonderful show! The SWHS kids are way beyond a high school level in their acting abilities and stamina for that matter. Congratulations guys and keep up the good work. Hope to see you in future endeavors. :clap:

18. lovesomebody90

lovesomebody90 Beach Comber

Hi!
    Never been on So-wal before, so let me know if i do something wrong or anything. :D Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who came out and suported Blithe Spirit. It really means a lot to all of us, after everything we've gone through. I dont think we could thank any of you enough. It really was the experience of a life time.

Oh and to the poster who asked, I'm was the maid(Edith) my name is Bri Weintraub.

Thanks so much for everything!
    Bei (Edith)

19. Kase626

Kase626 Beach Fanatic

This thread has made my day!:D A HUGE thanks to everyone who came to see our show and supported us every step of the way! :wave:

This was an amazing opportunity for all of us. Performing this play meant SO much to everyone. It helped us to prove our love and dedication to theatre and showcase our talents, while taking a stand against those trying to hold us back.

I am eternally grateful to the Rep and to Kevin for everything they've done for us. Kevin is amazing, and we couldn't have done this without him. Not only was he our director, he was our mentor and our friend. He has taught us a great deal about theatre and life. Many of those lessons will stay with us forever.

The memories that we have made during this process are ones that will NEVER be forgotten. Thanks again to everyone who made this possible. I cannot express my appreciation enough.:wub:

KC Shaffer
    (Ruth Condomine)

20. kitlit

kitlit Beach Fanatic

Great job to all involved! I caught the Friday night show, and loved every minute! :D