• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

laurawood

Beach Lover
Jul 15, 2006
so................
the new restaurant in defunk is now open......its been 3 weeks now...............oysters are fabulous....topped with caviar ( 2 kinds)
as well as a sour cream horseradish sauce) witled spinach sald was awesome.
must also recomend the garlic bread as well as the 12 oz ny strip, my date had it and was very happy).............. have to try other things there as well,

live music fri & sat 7-10 pm.
more to suggest later.......................lwp
check it out........... worth the drive. the lakeyard district is beautiful

The fried green tomatoes are the best! We went for lunch and were very impressed. It's charming and affordable with great food.

We did have a weird experience at breakfast. Stay away from anything with cheese. The pancakes were good, though.

Living in D-town, there are very few options for dining. We're looking forward to trying dinner.

Beach Goddess

Beach Lover
Jul 8, 2006
steeleing--
I'm in the middle of plans to relocate to the general area. I've been warned away from DeFuniak several times. I think it's a charming town. Any idea why the warnings? I never got a straight answer, only "you don't wanna go there" type of thing. I'm very confused...:dunno:

miramargal said:
steeleing--
I'm in the middle of plans to relocate to the general area. I've been warned away from DeFuniak several times. I think it's a charming town. Any idea why the warnings? I never got a straight answer, only "you don't wanna go there" type of thing. I'm very confused...:dunno:

I had my reservations at first about moving here, but I'm sure the type of answer you received is brought about by stigma. People used to say the same of Freeport.

The major reason we bought here a year ago was value. For what we could spend we could get so much more for our money, and we've been happy with our investment. We bought a 100 year old home five blocks from the lakeyard that we're almost finished remodeling (for the most part).

DeFuniak is a charming town. There are pros and cons of living here. It is very peaceful and beautiful. There are conveniences that I appreciate, such as getting easily to and from the grocery store, mechanic, library, pharmacy. It does lack the amount and caliber of restaurants of Sowal, but there are a couple great places to eat.

However, we do drive almost every day to South Walton; and the traffic to and from is increasing. My child still attends school there, and my husband and I both work there. That also means that we have not really become involved in the DeFuniak Springs community or met many people that we consider friends. As a lifelong Grayton Beach girl, I do have to say it's nice to have the best of both. My husband and I do like being able to "get away" from South Walton and just be at home where we can really be alone; and it's been fun exploring and getting to know the town.

I think DeFuniak is only going to improve in the future. I think that its charm will attract those who don't want to overspend in Sowal and don't want to live in the suburbia of Freeport.

I could say more, but I'm running late. PM me if you want more information or if you want to see any houses in the area that are on the market. I happen to know a good real estate agent...shocker.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
miramargal said:
steeleing--

Probably people that don't like small southern towns. The same people who want SoWal to be charming but can't wait for it to be much more like their big city. :roll:

Beach Goddess

Beach Lover
Jul 8, 2006
Thanks steeleing--I'll PM you later for more info. I appreciate it. I fell in love with Defuniak when I first saw it .

Kurt--the main thing people have said was that outsiders aren't welcome there. I just didn't know what to think about that. I hope that's not true. It seems like an artsy community and my husband and I are both artists so we thought it would be perfect. That's one of the things we love about SoWal is the artiness of it. We have done business there before and had a great response.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
DeFuniak is what you make of it, the scout camp is up there so I spend a lot of time around town. Not a cookie-cutter type place, and that makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Great folks living and working there, and there are some hidden gems- make sure you get a blueberry shake at Ed's.

Beach Goddess

Beach Lover
Jul 8, 2006
Thanks for the input chrisv. I appreciate it. I can see where it wouldn't be a cookie cutter place and that was part of what we liked about it. I love old southern small towns, especially when they have some big city amenities close by (like the shopping and eating in Destin). I think I'm going to give it another look over when we are there in October.

laurawood

Beach Lover
Jul 15, 2006
i too recently bought land and moved to defuniak after being in sowal my whole life. It is beautiful and quiet. I believe there is going to be another movement.....

after all the yankees have invaded and it is time to retreat........

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
where is the restaurant?