• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wilcogal1974

Beach Lover
Sep 13, 2009
Cookie doe, wrapping, paper, and The Butler Bear Run were all fundraisers that gave out prizes. The difference is that Boosterthon is coming in to our students? classrooms everyday and peddling goofy hair, bracelets and Ipods. The other fundraisers were not in our students? classrooms everyday. We had a choice of participating or not. With Boosterthon our children have no choice they must sit and listen to their sales pitch everyday in their classroom until they head for the next school. Boosterthon uses the front that they are there to spread a positive message but the majority of their time is spent peddling their product. Don?t let them fool you thinking they are in it for the kids. They make it a point to go in the classroom everyday so they can turn more of a profit. Cookie doe might of taken 60% but at least they gave us a choice.

wilcogal1974

Beach Lover
Sep 13, 2009
They asked the kids to get pledges by calling relatives or friends out of state & ask for pledges by themselves

*PTA policy is very clear that children should never be
exploited or used as fund-raisers*.

Our children go to school to learn, not to be exploited by a fundraising company for a week and a half every school day. To give or not give is a choice. Unfortunately our children do not have a choice when these people are in their faces and classrooms everyday for a week and a half taking away from critical instruction time.

wilcogal1974

Beach Lover
Sep 13, 2009
"Fun Run is asking that kids take some responsibility in raising money for good things at their school. "

REALLY? Are you serious momof2kids? Again, not the child's job. Their job is to go to school and learn, not pimp for Van R. Butler.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Cookie doe, wrapping, paper, and The Butler Bear Run were all fundraisers that gave out prizes. The difference is that Boosterthon is coming in to our students? classrooms everyday and peddling goofy hair, bracelets and Ipods. The other fundraisers were not in our students? classrooms everyday. We had a choice of participating or not. With Boosterthon our children have no choice they must sit and listen to their sales pitch everyday in their classroom until they head for the next school. Boosterthon uses the front that they are there to spread a positive message but the majority of their time is spent peddling their product. Don?t let them fool you thinking they are in it for the kids. They make it a point to go in the classroom everyday so they can turn more of a profit. Cookie doe might of taken 60% but at least they gave us a choice.

For Bear Run PTO went to the PE classes & promoted it daily, sent notes home, put up fliers, went on the morning show etc... For cookie dough notes were sent home & things were put on the morning show. All fundraisers are promoted through the children. So it is in their faces daily. The Fun Run team is in the room for 5 or 10 minutes and then leave. It's up to the teacher when they come & how long they stay or if they come in at all. (the time they are in the rooms is not long at all and it's they try to time it when there is little disruption). The kids don't have to get pledges - no one requires them to. They still get to participate the day of the run and get a t shirt.

No one is required to participate at all. Your child doesn't have to do anything. Just let him/her know that all fundraisers can't be participated in. And that everyone has to choose how they want to spend their money. I don't know how old your child is, but mine have always known that they will not be getting prizes for every fundraiser and that they will not participate in every one just to get a prize. They have been told that since pre--school started selling artwork. They get what they get and that's it.

Children do need to learn that if they want to do a fundraiser then they need to make the call. If they don't make the call then I'm not doing it for them. If they want the stupid hair thing then they need to earn it.

They are not doing this during school hours or during homework time. It's on their own time if they want to.

The students at Butler are learning and if we want the school to continue to improve technologically, and be ahead of the game then we need to have big money fundraisers.

If you can think of a way to earn money and please everyone please let PTO board know. The Board is always open to suggestions, but please don't beat them for trying something new, and seeing if it works a second year. Every fundraiser is reviewed and then voted on whether to do it again. If more were more involved in PTO meetings then the Board would know more of what is wanted. Parents wait until something is in place then complain. Until you get involved and attend meetings don't badger.

As I said in the earlier post - volunteer to be the head of one of the events. Being badgered by parents who have never volunteered, (when all we are doing is trying to help the school), makes people want to quit volunteering the little free time they have.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
"Fun Run is asking that kids take some responsibility in raising money for good things at their school. "

REALLY? Are you serious momof2kids? Again, not the child's job. Their job is to go to school and learn, not pimp for Van R. Butler.

So when kids sell Girl Scout Cookies; Boy Scout Popcorn it's ok? They aren't pimping for those organizations?

wilcogal1974

Beach Lover
Sep 13, 2009
So when kids sell Girl Scout Cookies; Boy Scout Popcorn it's ok? They aren't pimping for those organizations?

By law, all children of compulsory school age (5 to 16) must receive a suitable full-time education. As a parent, you have a legal responsibility to make sure this happens.

Belonging to Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts etc. is not mandatory it is a choice.

I choose as a parent to donate my time and money straight to Butler, not filter it through a FOR PROFIT company.

My child on the other hand has no choice but to sit in his classroom EVERYDAY for a week and a half during IMPORTANT INSTRUCTION TIME and listen to a sales pitch.

And what does my child get in return?

MY CHILD WAS EXPLOITED BY BOOSTERTHON, AND ALL HE GOT WAS A LOUSY T-SHIRT.

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008
Butler has a PTO - not a PTA. There is a big difference. As far as back ground & finger print it has been done. This morning while at the school a staff member approached me & said that she was happy Fun Run Team is here that they are motivating the kids and sending positive messages to them.

The OP of this thread never volunteered in the school when OP was an employee and has not volunteered as just a parent at all this year.

The Bear Run money did stay in the school, but it also taxed the local businesses as there were a lot of donations made by places that could not afford to keep giving like they did every year. Some businesses contacted the Superintendent and the Principal & asked that our school quit asking for donations.

Some of the parents that organized Bear Run simply can't do everything. Organizing a fundraiser like this is a lot of work, and the people complaining have not volunteered to be in charge of any fundraisers in the school so they have no idea what goes into it.

Plus the parents that are there volunteering do work. We are not a bunch of moms with nothing to do. We are the working parents that want to help the direction of the school so we are there in what little free time we have.

The fundraising that is done throughout the school year supplements the School Districts budget. Our fundraising money has purchased the following in the last 3 years: Active Boards for grades 3-5, Activexpressions, Easy Tech, Safari Montage, volleyballs, playground maintenance & repairs, wireless access points, in the process of purchasing projectors for all classes that don't have them... This years fundraising money will go toward the same things: technology improvements, playground upkeep, Licensing fees for Easy Tech & Safari. Every year there are always some kind of budget cuts and there will be the back up money for needs that arise that the District just can't pay for.

funny how no one complained when cookie dough was being sold and that company took 60% of your money and they did nothing. PTO has to get approval from Superintendent & Principal, scheduling, set up, clean up, call parents to come get their cookie dough/wrapping paper because they forgot or don?t feel like it, we have to call on NSF checks, count everything, place orders, correct orders, make sure all prizes are accounted for, send info home, etc? Boosterthon Team does all of the work and keeps 48%. And they aren?t asking us to go to the community and ask for donations or money. They are asking that kids contact relatives from out of state to ask for donations ? this can be in the amount of $1 flat to whatever, or nothing.

Prizes were given with cookie dough sales as well and no one complained... hmm... maybe we should keep selling the junk food & not promote health, wellness and good character traits...

If the OP, or any other parent at Butler would like to organize the Bear Run next year then we would love that. Step up & do it - but don't complain until you've been on this side.

The few that do volunteer on a regular basis can't do everything. And we certainly don't like to volunteer and then get pushed around by parents who don't do anything but complain. The pushing is what makes good volunteers stop helping...

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Well, I have a sobbing kindergartner this afternoon because apparently these people called her up in front of the class and told her she didnt have enough raised for whatever stupid toy they were giving out .....nothing that you are saying above makes that OK. This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen, and I am really upset about it.

The kids have not been talking about learning at ALL this week.....all of the conversation is about raising money for this company.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
They are doing this fundraising with kindergarteners? Yeesh. Yuck.

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008
They are doing this fundraising with kindergarteners? Yeesh. Yuck.

And please don't get me wrong. I love Butler, my kids love it, and i would do anything I could to help with fundraising. I dont have a problem with the kids calling and asking for donations even. What I just can't stand here is the way its being handled by this particular group. How can you put a kindergartner in this position? Why is that acceptable? I just can't understand....