• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
What about doing away with the prizes?

This is a tough issue for me. I agree with much from both sides of it.

When I was a kid we sold candy bars. One year I won the grand prize- a bike. All the other years I didn't win anything. But I don't remember crying about it and if I did I would have gotten a bit of tough love from my mom for being a sore loser-- not saying that's what the kids of posters here are. Just sharing what mom would have said.

I think that if they did away with the 'character building' sales pitch, I would be much more okay with the concept. Regardless, my daughter goes to Bay Elementary and they apparently had misgivings as well and didn't implement the program.

I bet that was one heck of a bike Geo! :D

Last edited:

North Lake

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007
Random thought - could we get rid of the fundraising and use TDC money for these things?

I am sure we could spin it that well outfitted schools and good education system are a draw for businesses wanting to locate here.

Nice thought SB, but the law authorizing levy of the bed tax -- the TDC funds -- does not allow their use for anything but marketing of the destination, beach maintenance, and beach nourishment.

Also, No TDC, no bed tax funds -- the two go hand in hand under the law. If the county levies a bed tax, it has to have a TDC Advisory Board. [subject of another thread I know, but it seemed to fit here as well]

School Board expenditures are also a completely separate levy from your normal county (BCC) property taxes. The School Board is an independent taxing authority from the county by law, and they can only use their revenues for schools -- not roads, public safety, and services like libraries, health, parks, etc.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
Unless your kids are attending a private school, there are very few options for parents when it comes to school fundraising. For the last 18 years I?ve lived in Kentucky and we were fundraised to death in every facet of the K-12 environment. First off we have to ?Rent School Books? each and every year which I found to be absolutely ridiculous. Then our kids are hit to sell everything from candy to mulch and if your kids are in sports, its worse. Everything from car washes, value cards, advertising and you name it, we have sold it or more importantly write a check. In HS football, if your child did not sell a required amount of Ads for the program, they did not receive their ?Spirit Pack? of shorts and a tee shirt. The problem is people cannot be forced into selling anything and fundraising is left to a select few parents who are either committed to the program or have the financial means to write the check. Trust me it?s gets old real quick and the only solution is for the school board to increase taxes on everyone.
As far as the Boosterthon goes, when solicitors call our home , the first thing I ask if the organization gets 100% of the donations and in the majority of these situations, they do not and I just hang up ? I will not give my hard earned money to the firefighters or police if they are not getting 100%. Bottom line is I would just write the school a check and speak directly to the principal / school board and express your displeasure with the organization. All it takes is a steady stream of concerned parents requesting a conference to change things. Boy am I glad fundraising is in my rear view mirror!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I have not said anything negative towards Butler. I am just against Boosterthon. I encourage parents to donate to help the school. I have donated myself, but I choose to donate straight to the classroom and not to Boosterthon. I like Butler and I think it is a great school with great teachers! I am just totally against Boosterthon and their methods of collecting pledges.In no circumstance can I agree with prizes being handed out everyday in the classroom to select students while the others watch. Mixing in a character lesson while keeping tabs on pledges and prizes does not make it right. I think Boosterthon is the one that needs a character lesson. They make sure everyday that all the kids see what prizes they have. This motiviates the kids to want what the other kids have and it keeps the money rolling in for Boosterthon. If you agree with this method of fund raising by all means give your money to Boosterthon, but if you are like me bypass Boosterthon and give it straight to the school.

If this is true, then I have to say I would definitely have concerns about this fundraising activity in my child's school. Why would a fundraising company provide daily lessons on character to classroom children?

I would rather see fundraising being conducted outside of the classroom. Unless the fundraising is part of a classroom-related goal the children do together with their parents, such as raising money for a field trip - something the kids can learn from, experience and receive meaningful rewards.

Last edited: